New York artists and rappers are nothing but haters when it comes to the south.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah we never caught on to the bay movement :manny:

I remember a couple of my guys moved to Oakland back in 96 and they said yall would wear plain sweatshirts instead of like nautica and polo and would say "ay" a lot

That's about as much as I knew about the bay lol

E40's character in the movie 3 strikes was one of my all time favs though :lolbron:

Stop being thirsty for acceptance though

Like now that people laugh at NY's hop hop scene or whatever I could care less honestly

I got in my feelins because I was hella drunk and I never heard anyone say my old hood music was wack. My big homies were on the old Master P West Coast Bad Boyz soundtracks. nikkas was showin love everywhere else with the music last night and hit me with the old "Frisco is the gay capital" shyt. At least Atlanta, Houston, Miami and Memphis have had their mainstream runs and recognition. The plus side is that 90%+ of Bay rappers really did everything they rapped about. Not a whole lot of studio gangsters from the Bay. Even Lil B used to really hit licks and sell dope. :mjlol:

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think the Bay is hated on by the East Coast way more. The South has dominated mainstream Rap since Master P crossed over in 97-98'. Southern artists like Three Six get much love in Maryland. nikkas fukk with South shyt heavy in MD. But the Bay gets no love. nikkas on the East Coast say E-40 is wack. Same thing with Mac Dre and even Too $hort. East Coast nikkas only really respect one single West Coast Rap dynasty to be honest. That being NWA + D.O.C. + Ice Cube + Snoop + Game +Kendrick; basically anything tied to Dre since 88'. nikkas on the East Coast don't even know about 2nd II None or Suga Free like that. But East Coast nikkas look at the Bay like a bunch of oddballs. They hate the Bay culture. The racists on the East Coast don't like how all races get along and walk, talk and act the same in Bay Area hoods. They think SF is all gay people and has no hoods even though 90% of them never even been there let alone walked through Hunter's Point. Even though nationwide everybody steals Bay slang and the Bay sound has been gaffled by the mainstream without many actual Bay artists being on the charts.

I live on the East Coast, but I'm from the Bay. I played some shyt from my old hood to my East Coast homies last night and they said it was wack. I was about to pop somebody in the mouth for that shyt. :martin:

Why did you move to NY?

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
I think the Bay is hated on by the East Coast way more. The South has dominated mainstream Rap since Master P crossed over in 97-98'. Southern artists like Three Six get much love in Maryland. nikkas fukk with South shyt heavy in MD. But the Bay gets no love. nikkas on the East Coast say E-40 is wack. Same thing with Mac Dre and even Too $hort. East Coast nikkas only really respect one single West Coast Rap dynasty to be honest. That being NWA + D.O.C. + Ice Cube + Snoop + Game +Kendrick; basically anything tied to Dre since 88'. nikkas on the East Coast don't even know about 2nd II None or Suga Free like that. But East Coast nikkas look at the Bay like a bunch of oddballs. They hate the Bay culture. The racists on the East Coast don't like how all races get along and walk, talk and act the same in Bay Area hoods. They think SF is all gay people and has no hoods even though 90% of them never even been there let alone walked through Hunter's Point. Even though nationwide everybody steals Bay slang and the Bay sound has been gaffled by the mainstream without many actual Bay artists being on the charts.

I live on the East Coast, but I'm from the Bay. I played some shyt from my old hood to my East Coast homies last night and they said it was wack. I was about to pop somebody in the mouth for that shyt. :martin:
You're right. Most people I know from NY fukk with some LA shyt, but they don't fukk with the Bay at all, especially E-40. East coasters just don't get him one bit.

HARLEM AL

Your broad loves me.....
Daps
Reppin
Harlem, NYC

You wasn't about to shyt nikka stop it.

And stop with the lies nikka. We fukk with Too Short.

I hate when you nikkas just be lying. Every region has its bias. But for some reason you nikkas stay on NY dikk.

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
a lot of that early south shyt was wack....why do people forget to mention that?

2 Live Crew was the leaders of the south in the 80's and they were trash......Cant point fingers when the product was weak.
You know that was Bmore music they were doing and Miami Bass = Frank Ski?
Doo Doo brown was from DC, too...a lot of that early bass music and booty shake shyt wasn't their shyt. They just proliferated it. It's a party area with warm weather. Don't blame dance music on the south and don't discredit shake music because you think hip hop is only supposed to be one thing. Naw. We ain't doing that, breh.
That's very corny. Some shyt is for dancing to. Other shyt is for headphones on the train. Other shyt is for the chevy on 6's w/ the beat in the back, windows down, bad bytch in the passenger. Other shyt is for blowing dank w/ the brehs plotting on the future. Music has moods.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
My nikka...This shyt is old now breh...

Let it go:mjlol:

Dipset was doing tracks with TI,Flip,Cash Money,Master P

Hell Gangstarr and scarface collabed..
Ruff Ryders did a whole tour with Cash Money...
-Dipset basically made an East Coast "Bout It Bout It" with Master P...
-MA$E had 8 Ball & MJG on Harlem World
-Nas collabed with Jermaine Dupri and Scarface, and promoted Bow Wow's first album on radio when Stillmatic dropped.
-French got songs with Slim Thug and Three 6 Mafia.
-50 had a song with Bun B on Power of the Dollar, and then Jay got UGK for Big Pimpin' and he was on the Ha Remix with Juvenile.
-Lil Wayne was stanned crazy in NYC he himself was fukking with Dipset, Jay-Z and Fabolous. He even did the Hustler Muzik/Money on My Mind video in NYC.

The list really goes on :manny:

Last edited:

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
That's mostly the :flabbynsick: boom gap enthusiasts and backpackers :russ:

Nas, Jay, 50, Cam, French, Fab, Kiss all gave the South love...
Agreed.

Though I do agree with some of the OP's points as someone from NY I dont understand why people always think NY beat was mostly Boom Bap! That sh*t was mostly in the early 90s! In the mid and late 90s you had mafiso beats like this...

Then in early and mid 2000s you had baller, street hard or New York grimey beats like these!

None of that archaic old boom bap:flabbynsick:... F*ck I'm bout to make a thread on this.

But yeah like you said it was mostly the obsessive Hip Hop zealots like Papoose, KRS-One and many like them who hate on the south.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why did you move to NY?

I don't live in NY. I live in Maryland. Been outchere since the 90's. nikkas on the East Coast literally know nothing about the West besides what they see in the movies. But it goes both ways. nikkas out West know nothing about the East unless they spent real time in both places. So I can understand why nikkas from other regions do get other region's music.