New York Rappers Get Catapulted Into Greatness With The Smallest Sample Size

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Everything is about Biggie to you. Fact of the matter is lots of artist dropped two great record

Not true at all. Alot of this discussion has to do with the east coast artist having more visibility than the west and south. It goes back to what I said before about the industry and media. Look at how Def Jam was about to gain control of Hot 97 using Payola to promote their predominately East Coast roster and push them to a higher level. If Jay wasn't on Def Jam, do you think he would have all of those consecutive number one records? There was obviously a formula that they used which was evident by the sudden drop from the top the second week.

Many of the labels from the South/West were indie and they simply couldn't compete with the majors in terms of marketing and promotion and ultimately perception. The same way Biggie has been promoted as one of the greatest of all time. NO ONE was saying that when he was alive. Alot of marketing dollars have gone into building up that perception. Alot of this has to do with the timing as well. The genre started in the East and they were doing it first. Alot of artist are getting props simply by being first since they were exposed to it first. I'm not trying to take away from them but I feel like some artist get too much props simply by being at the right place at the right time if you will. If the genre originated on the West then their would be some innovate artist who broke the mold and he would be Rakim.

Overall you would have to be in denial if you don't acknowledge the ongoing East Coast bias in Hip Hop. It is well documented. I suggest that you and others go check out the recent Luke Skywalker interviews or go pick up his book and check out first hand how Southern/Western artist have been treated by the game. It seems like it took Scarface coming to the East Coast for him to get the props he should have been received.

I've looked at this on a deeper level and peeped how the majority of the East Coast artist are of Caribbean descent as well. I won't go to in depth with that but I will just leave that there as food for thought for those reading who catch my drift.

Doc is the south and west coast by product guy from out those two regions.
Who had the full gamut of skills, upon debut and the technical aptitude to possibly dethrone and enter the reigning argument of goat with krs and rakim.
Yet, fate took that opportunity away.
To surpass both in smfull array of skills.
Plus, to succeed he also, had to rebolster ruthless records or death row records culturally as far as a good faith based business.
Yet fate would have that not occur or possible to happen.

Art Barr

Last edited:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
So, explain why he was offbeat, offkey and lacked any actual rhyme composition skills, or rubrick.
When none of that shyt makes sense to actual music or emcee'.
Plus, those particulars and lack of skill.
are always associated with a wack emcee.
So, please explain e40's technical base to us,...
He had game though :banderas:
@StillNotSoft can break it down further :myman:

Young/Nacho\Drawz

...come on let's picture the possibility...
Daps
Another reason Rakim gets props is because he infused gods and earth's knowledge into his rhymes. Not taking away from his skills but he seems to get extra points for doing so. The 5% aspect of this discussion shouldn't be overlooked either. At one point and to a lesser extent even now, some within Hip Hop didn't/don't consider rap music hip hop unless it contains some gods and earth knowledge. The problem with that train of thought is that it also originated on the east coast and wasn't as well known outside of NY. So by default an artist coming from outside of NY wouldn't be taken seriously no matter how nice they were, how many units they sold or how good their album was simply because their music didn't contain that message.

Young/Nacho\Drawz

...come on let's picture the possibility...
Daps
Doc is the south and west coast by product guy from out those two regions.
Who had the full gamut of skills, upon debut and the technical aptitude to possibly dethrone and enter the reigning argument of goat with krs and rakim.
Yet, fate took that opportunity away.
To surpass both in smfull array of skills.
Plus, to succeed he also, had to rebolster ruthless records or death row records culturally as far as a good faith based business.
Yet fate would have that not occur or possible to happen.

Art Barr
Well if we can call Biggie goat with two albums, then why can't we call The DOC goat with one?

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
They have e40 stans.
So, explain why he was offbeat, offkey and lacked any actual rhyme composition skills, or rubrick.
When none of that shyt makes sense to actual music or emcee'.
Plus, those particulars and lack of skill.
are always associated with a wack emcee.
So, please explain e40's technical base to us,...

The thing is you can't because he has no actual real skill or rubrick as an emcee.

Offbeat
Offkey
No actual rhyme composition skill or rubrick
Alleged and ghostwriting claims

Of all the rappers to accuse of ghostwriting without receipts... E-40? Seriously? Lol

The majority of your post amounts to you not understanding his lyrics to begin with. You not understanding what he's saying takes nothing away from the music as there are literally millions of people who understand exactly what he's saying, myself included.

No rhyme composition? Your idea of the craft of rapping is either very limited or very biased. Pull any e-40 verse off of In A Major Way... His flow is unconventional but never off beat.

Hip Hop has never been about artistic zealotry despite what some posters on here preach... You're purely hating on 40 and passing it off as cultural preservation.

He has the respect of hip hop heads with more stripes than you (Boots Riley, Hieroglyphics, etc.) because he's dope.

Last edited:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
I think that by the time Jada and Juelz got hot (2000-2001 for Jada and 2003 for Juelz) regionalism had really subsided in hip hop. Meanwhile, E-40 was (unfairly) thought of as wack by the East in the 90s (during his peak). That stuck with him in the 2000s. Then he was the mainstream face of hyphy. Which was again dismissed. Nonetheless, the hits kept coming :wow:
I think its unfair, but you are right that Jada and Juelz were more popular across the map.
The Bay had far less platinum artists than you would think.

i see what youre saying, but e-40 is far from the only west/south/midwest artist to have the wack tag placed on them in the '90s. even if you take those marks off his record, hes still not gonna blow in the east. he simply doesnt reasonate, and alot of what he does is considered corny.

and what are these hits that yall are referring to? i looked at @StillNotSoft 's homer post and i only recognized one song that was actually e-40's, and i didnt even know it was his track, cuz its mainly known for the features and the mustard beat.;laugh:

Another reason Rakim gets props is because he infused gods and earth's knowledge into his rhymes. Not taking away from his skills but he seems to get extra points for doing so. The 5% aspect of this discussion shouldn't be overlooked either. At one point and to a lesser extent even now, some within Hip Hop didn't/don't consider rap music hip hop unless it contains some gods and earth knowledge. The problem with that train of thought is that it also originated on the east coast and wasn't as well known outside of NY. So by default an artist coming from outside of NY wouldn't be taken seriously no matter how nice they were, how many units they sold or how good their album was simply because their music didn't contain that message.

this is where we differ.

rakim gets props for one, because he was one of the main guys that revolutionized the way people rapped.......now granted, he gets way too much credit for that but thats not a bi-coastal issue. and the argument you made earlier about how a west coast rapper couldve been rakim if rap started on the west, is purely hypothetical. hip-hop made its way to the west coast before rakim even came out. if they had a rakim in the wings, then where is he at? they had ample time & opportunities to beat rakim, kane, etc to the punch.

most important thing of all, concerning rakim's legacy is his catalog, which you failed to even mention.

as far as the 5% thing goes, your average person on the east coast could care less about that. but youre not helping your case by highlighting the fact that the east coast is generally where the knowledge is at, while the other coasts tend to be lacking. thats part of the problem, and it goes beyond music.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Rakim brought a lot to the table to be labeled the way he is. all of it is a package. u cant knock points off cause of it. the nikka changed the way people approached rhymes n all that. was lyrically a beast. and had the music to back his shyt up. don't try to minimize him based off one of the things that made him so dope in the first place. don't turn a pro into a handicap.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
i see what youre saying, but e-40 is far from the only west/south/midwest artist to have the wack tag placed on them in the '90s. even if you take those marks off his record, hes still not gonna blow in the east. he simply doesnt reasonate, and alot of what he does is considered corny.

and what are these hits that yall are referring to? i looked at @StillNotSoft 's homer post and i only recognized one song that was actually e-40's, and i didnt even know it was his track, cuz its mainly known for the features and the mustard beat.;laugh:

this is where we differ.

rakim gets props for one, because he was one of the main guys that revolutionized the way people rapped.......now granted, he gets way too much credit for that but thats not a bi-coastal issue. and the argument you made earlier about how a west coast rapper couldve been rakim if rap started on the west, is purely hypothetical. hip-hop made its way to the west coast before rakim even came out. if they had a rakim in the wings, then where is he at? they had ample time & opportunities to beat rakim, kane, etc to the punch.

most important thing of all, concerning rakim's legacy is his catalog, which you failed to even mention.

as far as the 5% thing goes, your average person on the east coast could care less about that. but youre not helping your case by highlighting the fact that the east coast is generally where the knowledge is at, while the other coasts tend to be lacking. thats part of the problem, and it goes beyond music.
I fukkin hate bytch ass shyt like nikkas tryna do in this thread yo. nikkas swear east coast and NY be hatin but they stay on our dikk. shyt is stupid. funny shyt is u go to they states and they barely fukk wit ANY NY or east coast shyt.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
I fukkin hate bytch ass shyt like nikkas tryna do in this thread yo. nikkas swear east coast and NY be hatin but they stay on our dikk. shyt is stupid. funny shyt is u go to they states and they barely fukk wit ANY NY or east coast shyt.

east coast and especially NY did used to be heavy with the hating tho.

thats why im neutral on this topic, cuz while i think alot of this is mecca envy, i also think alot of this is simply retaliation. i despise all this chit from both sides.

Add Fab to that list. 95% of his shyt :trash:, but NY stay trying to prop his ass up.

not cosigning the trash part but yea, i dont understand why new york keeps getting behind fab the way they do.

especially when theres better options over there that dont get that push.

i also find it funny how fab hasnt aged a bit, yet he looks like :flabbynsick: with his fade.

Last edited:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
east coast and especially NY did used to be heavy with the hating tho.

thats why im neutral on this topic, cuz while i think alot of this is mecca envy, i also think alot of this is simply retaliation. i despise all this chit from both sides.

not cosigning the trash part but yea, i dont understand why new york keeps getting behind fab the way they do.

especially when theres better options over there that dont get that push.
bro the only NY shyt that was really hating was a select few. the PEOPLE always showed other regions love. I never seen no fukkin hate and if nikkas aint know certain music it was because of pure ignorance and region bias. which EVERY region had and has. I have family all over and I witnessed the shyt myself first hand. nikkas in other states especially the south was NOT embracing us like that. only the really popular shyt. shyt is a fukkin myth bro. aside from "certain" DJ's n shyt. all kinda shyt was playin on our radio. Do or Die. Outkast. Crucial Conflict. Snoop. Dre. Pac. shyt even the corny shyt like 95 south.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
bro the only NY shyt that was really hating was a select few. the PEOPLE always showed other regions love. I never seen no fukkin hate and if nikkas aint know certain music it was because of pure ignorance and region bias. which EVERY region had and has. I have family all over and I witnessed the shyt myself first hand. nikkas in other states especially the south was NOT embracing us like that. only the really popular shyt. shyt is a fukkin myth bro. aside from "certain" DJ's n shyt. all kinda shyt was playin on our radio. Do or Die. Outkast. Crucial Conflict. Snoop. Dre. Pac. shyt even the corny shyt like 95 south.

theres asterisks that come with the love they show. im from up top too breh.

and yea, the other regions are just as guilty.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
theres asterisks that come with the love they show. im from up top too breh.

and yea, the other regions are just as guilty.
I'm sayin tho bro u from Philly. I'm from NY born and raised. I remember clearly. the hate was nowhere near significant enough for these nikkas to consistently have a chip on they shoulder. honestly THEY are more region biased even till this day.

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
I'm sayin tho bro u from Philly. I'm from NY born and raised. I remember clearly. the hate was nowhere near significant enough for these nikkas to consistently have a chip on they shoulder. honestly THEY are more region biased even till this day.

Exactly what I've said & keep saying to some these nikkas