Daps
Jadakiss-Zero classics. Bad hairline.
giphy.gif

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
E40 does not rap well,...
So, why do you keep bringing up e40.
Plus, he is a guy the Mecca would not embrace.
If you need why that is, you need to re-eval the culture if hip hop.
Then, question the execs who distributed e40 for a return..uet, never did any actual critical knowledge culturally centered around skills.

New York sold New York out, you got it fukked up. E-40 was distributed the same reason all hip hop artists were distributed, the only difference was he had already proven his own marketability before he was picked up.

And all of that is entirely irrespective of him as an artist. E-40 is a lyricist, what lopsided scale are you using where he isn't one? In A Major Way is one of the greatest hip hop records to come out of any coast period. You sound like a hater

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Blah...

Y'all too mechanical about this shyt. Quality over quantity. Most of the artists you named were dominant in their eras... whether or not they were able to dominate in later eras makes not a difference in the world as to whether or not they're legendary. There's nikkas who got 15 albums and still have not done in hip-hop what a Rakim or Kane has... it's just that simple. They didn't innovate on that level, they didn't inspire the game the way they did... it is what it is. It's rewriting history to suggest that these people are less deserving of legend status, even though it's well documented that they did legendary shyt.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Blah...

Y'all too mechanical about this shyt. Quality over quantity. Most of the artists you named were dominant in their eras... whether or not they were able to dominate in later eras makes not a difference in the world as to whether or not they're legendary. There's nikkas who got 15 albums and still have not done in hip-hop what a Rakim or Kane has... it's just that simple. They didn't innovate on that level, they didn't inspire the game the way they did... it is what it is. It's rewriting history to suggest that these people are less deserving of legend status, even though it's well documented that they did legendary shyt.
That @DANJ! logo :whoo:

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
The thing is how of those listed is REALLY high on people's GOAT lists?
Biggie
Kane usually depending the breh's age
Slick Rick?

I don't hear people putting GZA, Pun, Lauryn or Big L in their top 5.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
Except putting Andre in the top 10 is like putting a DH in the all time top 10 of great everyday players. Andre has only had to do one thing well for his entire career. It's A LOT easier to build a legacy one verse at a time.

3000 has never had to craft entire songs alone, with 3 or 4 full verses, much less entire solo albums. He's been able to unload full clips onto songs, 1 or 1 1/2 verses at a time, instead of having to build the arc of a song. Those are entirely different skills people don't appreciate enough.

He can't be top 10 without a solo album, and that's his fault, because he's clearly scared to drop a solo rap album. And all of that is coming from an Outkast stan....

But how many GOAT level rappers have actually succeeded through multiple eras? Jay Z, Nas, Eminem, and Kanye? There aren't many.

LL didn't really succeed, as much as he just hung around and dropped music in different eras. Same goes for the other legends.

I agree Biggie can no longer be considered the greatest, because Jay and Nas have full careers that have stood the test of time. But aside from them, Biggie's music, skill, impact, and influence still holds up against the rest, and gives him a place in the top 5.

I agree with the rest of your post though.
I disagree about LL

Young/Nacho\Drawz

...come on let's picture the possibility...
Daps
[/QUOTE]
Everything is about Biggie to you. Fact of the matter is lots of artist dropped two great record
Blah...

Not true at all. Alot of this discussion has to do with the east coast artist having more visibility than the west and south. It goes back to what I said before about the industry and media. Look at how Def Jam was about to gain control of Hot 97 using Payola to promote their predominately East Coast roster and push them to a higher level. If Jay wasn't on Def Jam, do you think he would have all of those consecutive number one records? There was obviously a formula that they used which was evident by the sudden drop from the top the second week.

Many of the labels from the South/West were indie and they simply couldn't compete with the majors in terms of marketing and promotion and ultimately perception. The same way Biggie has been promoted as one of the greatest of all time. NO ONE was saying that when he was alive. Alot of marketing dollars have gone into building up that perception. Alot of this has to do with the timing as well. The genre started in the East and they were doing it first. Alot of artist are getting props simply by being first since they were exposed to it first. I'm not trying to take away from them but I feel like some artist get too much props simply by being at the right place at the right time if you will. If the genre originated on the West then their would be some innovate artist who broke the mold and he would be Rakim.

Overall you would have to be in denial if you don't acknowledge the ongoing East Coast bias in Hip Hop. It is well documented. I suggest that you and others go check out the recent Luke Skywalker interviews or go pick up his book and check out first hand how Southern/Western artist have been treated by the game. It seems like it took Scarface coming to the East Coast for him to get the props he should have been received.

I've looked at this on a deeper level and peeped how the majority of the East Coast artist are of Caribbean descent as well. I won't go to in depth with that but I will just leave that there as food for thought for those reading who catch my drift.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
New York sold New York out, you got it fukked up. E-40 was distributed the same reason all hip hop artists were distributed, the only difference was he had already proven his own marketability before he was picked up.

And all of that is entirely irrespective of him as an artist. E-40 is a lyricist, what lopsided scale are you using where he isn't one? In A Major Way is one of the greatest hip hop records to come out of any coast period. You sound like a hater

They have e40 stans.
So, explain why he was offbeat, offkey and lacked any actual rhyme composition skills, or rubrick.
When none of that shyt makes sense to actual music or emcee'.
Plus, those particulars and lack of skill.
are always associated with a wack emcee.
So, please explain e40's technical base to us,...

The thing is you can't because he has no actual real skill or rubrick as an emcee.
it is up for debate why when he came out.
there was a fluctuation of skills in his later releases to the hyphy movement as well.
Which entails gw,...so unless we giving being:

Offbeat
Offkey
No actual rhyme composition skill or rubrick
Alleged and ghostwriting claims

All a pass plus the ghostwriting claims.
Where and how when the Mecca is brought up is e40 supposed to get this acclaim.

When this is hiphop and not about the sales but your actual skills.
Like let's be real,....
Since e40 did not work on his skills.
Yeah, he threatened big physically.
which is what a toy would do to a emcee.
When, a toy knows his skill set was criticized by a better emcee and is trying to get brownee points to look a certain way battling.
Yet, and still you still get ripped and in the books nikkaz note the real.

So, please stop the homer shyt.
You don't see me waving pom poms for no common, no ye, or fest or none of these guys just because they are from Chicago.
this whole rant and deflection is all because you have Mecca envy.
All sellouts have Mecca envy because they lack what being connected to the culture and Mecca is all about.

How you a rapper critical of the skilled culturally based emcees in the birthplace and mecca of your culture.
Then try to prop an even worse submission or individual.
who is a cultural scourge of the worse and lowest common denominator.
Then, try to associate cultural scourges in the Mecca like the culture is accepting.
When the culture, is not even accepting.
Then, diss the Mecca.

You, can't be hip hop if you do that,....you can't.

Art Barr

Y'all toys suffer from Mecca envy and only a toy has Mecca envy.
A toy is not about or part of hip hop.
I don't care how many fake mics they think they rip.
What gear they wear.
If, yousa toy.
it will start to show and it is only so long fake thugs can pretend.

Art Barr