New York Rappers Get Catapulted Into Greatness With The Smallest Sample Size

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's like the people that rate them have no respect for longevity and body of work.. I've seen ONE good project place rappers into the conversation of all time greats...

Now I'm aware that things like untimely death o prison can make you try to forecast what they COULD have been and give them honorable mentions.. But this sh1t has gone too far imo..

Big L-No classic albums, 1 good album and a handful of punch line heavy features..

Big Pun-1 Classic album and 1 weed plate. That's it. And dudes have the nerve to say he would be the GOAT if he wasn't Latino.

Slick Rick-1 Classic album. 4 total retail releases in almost 30 years.

Jadakiss-Zero classics. Bad hairline.

Notorious B.I.G.- 2 classic albums. The greatest argument for a small body of work elite emcee (top 10 is fair). But you can't be the greatest EVER if you haven't succeeded through multiple eras...

Lauryn Hill- From Jersey but same sh1t. 1 Classic group album and 1 Classic Soul album where she only raps on 50% of the songs. Hasn't done sh1t for almost 20 years.

Mos Def- 1 regional classic and an overrated group album. Moved to Africa to duck child support. No grind.

GZA- Classic Swords and a handful of great Wu Tang verses.

Big Daddy Kane- Reign on the top was shorter than leps. Debut classic, really good follow up. Hasn't charted in 20 years.

ur right, :ohhh:. the hell jada hairline gotta do with anything tho? :russ:

10:31

Superstar
Daps
I tried to avoid this thread

Much like my three six Mafia impact on the culture thread this is yet another inconvenient truth/harsh realization for some....

He's right

This is why I'm not afraid to put Hov over so many other NY legends including Nas, Big, ghost....

Jay has a classic discography save 2 maybe 3 projects.... That is tough to do

Rakim only has two great albums.. He's a pioneer who helped shift the sound but he's only got 2 great albums which both aren't 100% solo because Eric B is also featured on the album... His solo albums are sub par

Cube (& NWA)
Krs One
Ll Cool J
Face
Kane

*Eric B & Rakim
Pac
Jay
Nas
Slick Rick.

Cube is from LA
Face is from Texas
Pac raised in LA

The most powerful influential voice in the culture has ever seen was Cube's via NWA. Hip hop hasn't been the same since

His body of work is also stronger than any NY MC.. He's first three solo albums post NWA is shyt we haven't seen since...

I wish we had 3 classic Rakim solos or Kane solos or GZA solos

Last edited:

Superstar
Daps
Like last week someone in here tried to tell me Rakim was better than Cube

I'm like.. nikka in what world

Cube is pound for pound are more consistent master of ceremonies than Ra and dropped better projects.

Something gross happened to Ra after he and Eric B split... He's never been the same since.

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
It's not anymore ridiculous than putting Jadakiss or Pun or Big L in the discussion.

I never had any of those 3 in my Top 10. At no point. Jada's discography is underwhelming (including his new album). Pun dropped a near classic debut but his sophomore was lackluster. And Big L, as talented as he was, is overrated to me and his debut is not a classic.

I believe Kendrick has what it takes to end up being a Top 10 contender but it's waaaaaaayyy too soon. Can't see myself putting him in a Top 10 GOAT list yet.

Hypris

Superstar
Daps
I agree that every old rapper from the 90s shouldn't be automatically considered a legend but I disagree with the idea that you need a bunch of albums to be a legend.Quality over quantity. You don't need 10 albums in 20 years to be a legend.

If you made classic music that impacted the culture heavily, you have the right to be considered a legend. Lauryn Hill is a legend, Biggie is a legend. Doesn't matter if they have a smaller discography, their music made more impact than most of these rappers that are still in the game 20 years later.

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
:scust:Diddy? 50?

Yeah. you are in denial....

Diddy is the rapper all these current materialistic rappers have copied, including Jay Z. Plus Diddy was the right hand man next to one of the greatest rappers ever.

50 was the gangster rapper who dominated the 2000's. Plus 50 is the only rapper to verbally attack other so called street rappers (Lox, Fat Joe, Wu Tang, Mater P) with no consequences.

Superstar
Daps
Yeah. you are in denial....

Diddy is the rapper all these current materialistic rappers have copied, including Jay Z. Plus Diddy was the right hand man next to one of the greatest rappers ever.

50 was the gangster rapper who dominated the 2000's. Plus 50 is the only rapper to verbally attack other so called street rappers (Lox, Fat Joe, Wu Tang, Mater P) with no consequences.

I can smoke a bag of Puff being the true mastermind/architect behind the concept an idea of biggie and getting full credit for the money hoes and clothes sensationalism that created a blueprint for other MCs to follow

50? Nah. He didn't dominate the 2000s. His run was breif. 2003-2007 I'm being generous because it was really 03-06.. DMX was the shift from the puff blueprint back to gangsta rap. The 2000s were a blend in which the next next major shift began in 2004 when The college dropout came

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
50? Nah. He didn't dominate the 2000s. His run was breif. 2003-2007 I'm being generous because it was really 03-06.. DMX was the shift from the puff blueprint back to gangsta rap. The 2000s were a blend in which the next next major shift began in 2004 when The college dropout came

:martin:

Key word: 50 was the "gangster rapper" who dominated the 2000's. DMX fell off by 2001 and Kanye is not a gangster rapper. 50 was the gangster rapper of the 2000's who sold the most. 50 Revolutionized the mixtape game of the 2000's from djs with exclusives to rappers self promoting unrealeased music......50 had a good run with G Unit. But he did fall off by 2009.

Superstar
Daps
:martin:

Key word: 50 was the "gangster rapper" who dominated the 2000's. DMX fell off by 2001 and Kanye is not a gangster rapper. 50 was the gangster rapper of the 2000's who sold the most. 50 Revolutionized the mixtape game of the 2000's from djs with exclusives to rappers self promoting unrealeased music......50 had a good run with G Unit. But he did fall off by 2009.

G unit by 2009?

Like I said I was being generous with 50. It was over by 07. G unit as a whole was over by 2006.

You missed my point. Gangsta rap wasn't dominate in the 00s. X fell off in 04 not 01 :snoop:

The backpack emotional rap dominated from 04-present.

MIAlien

#FactsOnly
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wade County
this is ludicrous.

LL's longevity trumps the rappers you listed by far. LL survived and maintained a level of champion or contender thru 3 of the best eras ever, and he did it at a time when it was virtually impossible, because 3 different eras were the equivalent of 3 different worlds back then. the days when longevity truly meant something, as opposed to now where its all about paperwork.

even the later longevity of LL(which is what youre probably referring to), where he survived off of being a hitmaker was a bigger feat than modern longevity.

jay is def up there tho, for his run from '96-04.
lol @ kanye & eminem.
I put a question mark at the end, because I'm not sure of how many, because they all had lulls. Kanye HAS transitioned his career from an era he could barely survive, into one where he's an influence on most of the popular artists, while remaining relevant though.

That aside, LL didn't maintain a prolonged run as much as he reinvented and restarted his career multiple times. LL gets credit for every year from 85 til 2015, when that's not the truth. There's long gaps of irrelevance and inactivity in between his different runs. I give him that Madonna-type credit of reinventing and regaining relevance.

I'd argue that Andre the "songwriter" who produces and writes songs with real content, instead of your typical bytches, blunts, and gun talk is just as valuable as any drug dealer turned MC that New York hypes up
He's absolutely more valuable in hip hop than most, because he and Big Boi push Outkast in a direction of reality and struggle rap that went beyond materialism and violence and into higher thought. That doesn't mean he's one of the 10 best rappers, because he never dropped classic solo work that matches up with his ATG peers and they did.

I agree that every old rapper from the 90s shouldn't be automatically considered a legend but I disagree with the idea that you need a bunch of albums to be a legend.Quality over quantity. You don't need 10 albums in 20 years to be a legend.

If you made classic music that impacted the culture heavily, you have the right to be considered a legend. Lauryn Hill is a legend, Biggie is a legend. Doesn't matter if they have a smaller discography, their music made more impact than most of these rappers that are still in the game 20 years later.
Who is denying that Lauryn Hill and these rappers with limited discographies are legends? Not me.

But the difference between legend and top 10 all time is big.

It's doing a disservice to the ATGs that have long, sustained careers to throw Lauryn Hill ahead of them because she was special for 3 years, half of which was R&B, and quit.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
I tried to avoid this thread

Much like my three six Mafia impact on the culture thread this is yet another inconvenient truth/harsh realization for some....

He's right

This is why I'm not afraid to put Hov over so many other NY legends including Nas, Big, ghost....

Jay has a classic discography save 2 maybe 3 projects.... That is tough to do

Rakim only has two great albums.. He's a pioneer who helped shift the sound but he's only got 2 great albums which both aren't 100% solo because Eric B is also featured on the album... His solo albums are sub par

i stopped reading when you said rakim only has 2 great albums, and that all of jay's records are classic sans 2 or 3.

and i guess you didnt get the memo that eric b was a gangster that really didnt do what hes credited for. and even then, he didnt rap anyway. thats like saying jay-z can carry a record on how own because he doesnt make his own beats.

Superstar
Daps
i stopped reading when you said rakim only has 2 great albums, and that all of jay's records are classic sans 2 or 3.

and i guess you didnt get the memo that eric b was a gangster that really didnt do what hes credited for. and even then, he didnt rap anyway. thats like saying jay-z can carry a record on how own because he doesnt make his own beats.

The Master and Seventh Seal are sub par efforts and borderline trash compared to his work with Eric B.

You can stop reading. Hov has so many albums better than both of Rakim's solo albums.