New York Rappers Get Catapulted Into Greatness With The Smallest Sample Size

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
It's like the people that rate them have no respect for longevity and body of work.. I've seen ONE good project place rappers into the conversation of all time greats...

Now I'm aware that things like untimely death o prison can make you try to forecast what they COULD have been and give them honorable mentions.. But this sh1t has gone too far imo..

Big L-No classic albums, 1 good album and a handful of punch line heavy features..

Big Pun-1 Classic album and 1 weed plate. That's it. And dudes have the nerve to say he would be the GOAT if he wasn't Latino.

Slick Rick-1 Classic album. 4 total retail releases in almost 30 years.

Jadakiss-Zero classics. Bad hairline.

Notorious B.I.G.- 2 classic albums. The greatest argument for a small body of work elite emcee (top 10 is fair). But you can't be the greatest EVER if you haven't succeeded through multiple eras...

Lauryn Hill- From Jersey but same sh1t. 1 Classic group album and 1 Classic Soul album where she only raps on 50% of the songs. Hasn't done sh1t for almost 20 years.

Mos Def- 1 regional classic and an overrated group album. Moved to Africa to duck child support. No grind.

GZA- Classic Swords and a handful of great Wu Tang verses.

Big Daddy Kane- Reign on the top was shorter than leps. Debut classic, really good follow up. Hasn't charted in 20 years.
:snoop:

this is not only disgraceful as fukk.... but stupid as fukk too

people rate them as great ARTISTS or RAPPERS

a classic album and the number of them you have, doesn't mean shyt if you are being rated on SKILL

dan marino is one of the greatest of all time.... he has no rings and 1-2 super bowls... but his skill is fukking off the charts

so no.... all these rappers didn't have smash after smash... or classic after classic....

but if you gave them the mic... and said rap right now.... and put them up against others in their era.... they'd be at the top of these lists

you can be great for different things... you can be a great pass rusher... or a great blocking back.... etc etc... most of these dudes you named, aren't top of any all time list, except biggie... who dropped about 4 albums worth of material... 2 albums.. 1 junior mafia.. wrote kim whole album.. plus features and remixes and guest spots

everyone else would be a great song writer (slick, lauryn, big) or a great lyricist (gza, pun, l, mos, jada, kane, big)

so no... longevity and album making isn't really highly regarded in hip hop.... can you fukking rap, yes or no

Superstar
Daps
It's like the people that rate them have no respect for longevity and body of work.. I've seen ONE good project place rappers into the conversation of all time greats...

Now I'm aware that things like untimely death o prison can make you try to forecast what they COULD have been and give them honorable mentions.. But this sh1t has gone too far imo..

Big L-No classic albums, 1 good album and a handful of punch line heavy features..

Big Pun-1 Classic album and 1 weed plate. That's it. And dudes have the nerve to say he would be the GOAT if he wasn't Latino.

Slick Rick-1 Classic album. 4 total retail releases in almost 30 years.

Jadakiss-Zero classics. Bad hairline.

Notorious B.I.G.- 2 classic albums. The greatest argument for a small body of work elite emcee (top 10 is fair). But you can't be the greatest EVER if you haven't succeeded through multiple eras...

Lauryn Hill- From Jersey but same sh1t. 1 Classic group album and 1 Classic Soul album where she only raps on 50% of the songs. Hasn't done sh1t for almost 20 years.

Mos Def- 1 regional classic and an overrated group album. Moved to Africa to duck child support. No grind.

GZA- Classic Swords and a handful of great Wu Tang verses.

Big Daddy Kane- Reign on the top was shorter than leps. Debut classic, really good follow up. Hasn't charted in 20 years.

These are all rappers who have/had impeccable and undeniable talent. That's why they're praised so highly even though they have sparse discographies. If you can name rappers from the south or west with large "sample sizes" who you feel don't receive proper praise and can spit on the level of a Biggie, Pun, Jada, or L or have the impact and influence as a Lauryn Hill, Slick Rick, or Kane, or just be flatout talented and versatile on the mic like a Mos Def or GZA, then this thread would have validity.

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
I kinda see what OP is saying.

It's always been like this.

A lot of the East Coast/West Coast drama that happened happened because East Coast outfits like The Source and BET would put anybody from New York over anybody else damn near, even when the West Coast was whooping everybody's ass, they were still hyping up New York all over the place.

Now, there are times like Nas or Biggie they were right, but more often than not, it's some bum ass subway nikka that they hype up and gets an Unsigned Hype piece and ends up being a corny punchline rapper.

Couldnt put Wu, Mobb Deep ,50 Cent, G Rap, KRS, LL, Diddy, Nas or Jay on that list I see.

:pachaha:

:scust:Diddy? 50?

And "LAD" ain't classic. :heh:

:heh: It isn't.

Except putting Andre in the top 10 is like putting a DH in the all time top 10 of great everyday players. Andre has only had to do one thing well for his entire career. It's A LOT easier to build a legacy one verse at a time.

3000 has never had to craft entire songs alone, with 3 or 4 full verses, much less entire solo albums. He's been able to unload full clips onto songs, 1 or 1 1/2 verses at a time, instead of having to build the arc of a song. Those are entirely different skills people don't appreciate enough.

He can't be top 10 without a solo album, and that's his fault, because he's clearly scared to drop a solo rap album. And all of that is coming from an Outkast stan....

I'd argue that Andre the "songwriter" who produces and writes songs with real content, instead of your typical bytches, blunts, and gun talk is just as valuable as any drug dealer turned MC that New York hypes up

Look at Kendrick, for example. Some people are already calling him an all time great. I fvcks with him heavy, but I think that's just ridiculous.

It's not anymore ridiculous than putting Jadakiss or Pun or Big L in the discussion.

I respect all of those dudes, but To Pimp A Butterfly & Good Kid are wayyyyyyyyyyyyy better than any of their records. It's not even close.

whats funny is if great music or a great discography are what put u in the top 10...then there are more nyc based artist that should be on the list than there is now :yeshrug:

18TahV6.gif

50 sold 13 million out the gate and was the biggest rapper on the planet. Everybody was hyping 50 as the greatest thing ever back then.

:mjpls: His sales came from being Eminem's "Black friend"

This was his fan base

2448448-0589552695-Wigge.jpg

pun, big l & jada are all superior to andre.

Ug4AOvX.jpg

RegB

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
GZA has one undeniable classic, classic verses on a bunch of Wu related albums and been around for over 20 years and probably never dropped a wack verse. He also has one of the most underrated solo album discographies. He's considered an all time great for a reason.

GZA made two undeniable classics (liquid swords, enter the wu-tang) and three more damn near undeniable classics (grandmasters, beneath the surface, the w).. :scusthov: at the disrespect he's receiving simply because of where he's from.. there's very few rappers on this earth who can say they dropped as many classics as him and that includes cats who i think are better than him like nas and big daddy kane..

Idk about this longevity argument. You could say Jays had longevity the last 6 years, by releasing goofball songs specifically tailored to teenage white girls.

To say Empire State of Mind and Holy Grail increase his GOATness because they kept him "relevant" seems stupid.

I agree with this for the most part, acts like busta and the beastie boys were relevant for a couple of decades and few people would put either on a top 10 list.. but longevity favors LL in that aspect.. LL hasn't made a classic album in over 20 years, but neither have krs-one or ice cube, and LL also managed to consistently stay relevant in the hip hop world up until about 10 years ago which is a lot longer than just the other two by consistently making classic tracks..

pointproven214

i speak facts not emotions
Daps
Reppin
dallas texas
:snoop:

this is not only disgraceful as fukk.... but stupid as fukk too

people rate them as great ARTISTS or RAPPERS

a classic album and the number of them you have, doesn't mean shyt if you are being rated on SKILL

dan marino is one of the greatest of all time.... he has no rings and 1-2 super bowls... but his skill is fukking off the charts

so no.... all these rappers didn't have smash after smash... or classic after classic....

but if you gave them the mic... and said rap right now.... and put them up against others in their era.... they'd be at the top of these lists

you can be great for different things... you can be a great pass rusher... or a great blocking back.... etc etc... most of these dudes you named, aren't top of any all time list, except biggie... who dropped about 4 albums worth of material... 2 albums.. 1 junior mafia.. wrote kim whole album.. plus features and remixes and guest spots

everyone else would be a great song writer (slick, lauryn, big) or a great lyricist (gza, pun, l, mos, jada, kane, big)

so no... longevity and album making isn't really highly regarded in hip hop.... can you fukking rap, yes or no

i based them on their skill and pun case and big l case i base them on their rapping skills not nothing else.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Street based coming out under Puffy?Street based being on the same label as the biggest rapper on the planet(RR) and going at Puff Daddy? Juelz street based being on Rocafella records? I get your overall point but RR and Rocafella were labels that thrived on the streets...and far as the Puffy connection,lets not pretend them nikkas exactly got it out the mud

And I hate to start this argument again but your kindve proving OP's point right now,E-40 has as many platinum plaques as both these nikkas,not even sure if Juelz even has one....I believe he has more gold albums than Jada over a longer period,and more hits...Still has bigger hits today,you remember Function and Choices?

Yet you have the audacity to call 40 a local star and Jada and Juelz aint? Did I mention he's street based?And no I dont wanna hear how he went plat in the bay alone as that's ridiculous and proven false.

I dont have numbers to back up what I'm sayin on Dre,but he's a cultural icon and well,Juelz and Jada just aint

I plan on you and many others narrow viewpoints to change one day,props to threadstarter for taking a step.

what viewpoints do you want me to change? lol. im probably the most unbiased poster in this thread. im neutral on the topic. meanwhile, youre the type of guy that thinks e-40 & mac dre are top 10 goats, which is on the other end of the extreme spectrum of the "new york or bust" idealists. actually youre worse, cuz at least theyre reppin the mecca.

street-based yes. ruff ryders & rocafella were geared towards the streets. just because some of the artists acquired mainstream bases, it doesnt mean that they werent street-based. ask yourself, since when did you see anybody from those labels aside from jay-z & dmx getting high ratings in mag reviews or being paraded around by industry & media outlets? they werent. they were moreso peoples champions. hell, EVEN DMX never got his proper amount of just due.

and bad boy was half-street/half-party. puffy signed the lox AFTER they made their name. he didnt sign them out of nowhere breh.

jada & juelz are popular all-around the map. are we gonna pretend that e-40 is? and im not saying that he went platinum in the bay alone, but the bay is known for having the most supportive rap fans ever. alot of guys that are considered random names were putting up the same numbers.

lol @ andre 3000 being a cultural icon. man youve been posting on here way too long.

Last edited: