New York's affordable housing lottery is open, with 1 bedroom apartments going for as low as 2.8K

ManBearPig

half man half bearpig
Daps
Reppin
Chi-town
Is it the minimal wage in new york like 13 an hour?

Its more expensive but I'm sure that the jobs pay you more there too

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
Thats true. I stay hearing folks moving into NYC and coming back with nothing. The funny part is that there's a lot of people basically doing the same shyt so it's way too competitive. All that networking and etc, yet they could do what they do at home with the help of the Internet so don't know man. I guess it works with certain occupations like in the tech industry or wall street/banker jobs. I do see that NYC has a lot of artists or people that want to be in the entertainment business which that's like pointless especially in certain parts where there's hipsters.

Problem is a lot of people move to NYC with nothing and expect to magically land a comfy job living in a nice 1 bedroom in East Village or Tribeca. This is a city of hustling, nobody's giving you shyt here, you gotta grind and work for what you want.

You gotta start applying for jobs and networking BEFORE you officially move out of whatever suburb in Middle America you come from.

Can't tell you how many homeless people i encounter in Midtown holding signs saying they need money for airport tickets or they couldn't find the job they're looking for and they have suitcases on em.

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
Is it the minimal wage in new york like 13 an hour?

Its more expensive but I'm sure that the jobs pay you more there too

The jobs pay more, but almost no one i know has any real savings since a large amount of our pay is going to rents. Most of my coworkers are almost a paycheck or two of being behind on their rents.

ManBearPig

half man half bearpig
Daps
Reppin
Chi-town
The jobs pay more, but almost no one i know has any real savings since a large amount of our pay is going to rents. Most of my coworkers are almost a paycheck or two of being behind on their rents.

I remember those days

Knowing that I just got my tax refund money just now makes it all just feel so much sweeter:mjgrin:

ogc163

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC

Correct, the increase in income doesn't necessarily come with an increase in standard of living because the cost of living is so high.

I currently see alot of anger and bitterness amongst my family,associates and friends on social media about rent/col. NYC has a large Black population that has come up through city govt jobs and many Black native millennials are under the false impression that they can take the same route as their parents/older siblings by getting one of those "good jobs". But they are dealing with a higher COL, greater competition in general, weaker public sector unions, and real estate situation that even if it's in bubble mode likely won't bottom out low enough to make the market affordable for them.

As I stated in the other thread NYC is great if you are young and single and are perfectly fine not having kids in the future.

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
Dudes peeing in the hallways, getting robbed in elevators

Meanwhile I pay 750 for a 3bdrm with a finished basement and garage

What us city folks have are proximity to entertainment, job opportunities, and exclusive benefits.

You can enjoy paying for gas, car insurance, property taxes, traffic commute :scust:

BezO

Highbrow
Daps
Reppin
NYC -> DC
All I'm saying is moving to the cities from the suburbs is backwards. How does someone go from living in a family house in a nice area to living in an apartment in the city? At least be the only person living in that spot and that place is in a nice area. Hope it's benefitting whoever is doing it because from what I'm seeing, folks are wasting their time.

And that recession is coming. There's gonna be a lot of people leaving NYC this year broke as fukk. All this gentrification about to come to a screeching halt.
Backwards for who?

If you're in the burbs or small town without the earning opportunities or experiences you want, a major city could be a good move. Depending on your situations & goals, you may have to sacrifice in the beginning. IMO, aiming high is never a waste of time. Even failed attempts serve as learning experiences. Folks move to big cities for a reason. You not having those reasons doesn't make it backwards.

Recessions are felt in the burbs & small towns too, sometimes even more.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
All I'm saying is moving to the cities from the suburbs is backwards. How does someone go from living in a family house in a nice area to living in an apartment in the city? At least be the only person living in that spot and that place is in a nice area. Hope it's benefitting whoever is doing it because from what I'm seeing, folks are wasting their time.

And that recession is coming. There's gonna be a lot of people leaving NYC this year broke as fukk. All this gentrification about to come to a screeching halt.
you shouldn't worry so much breh you sound skressed.
gentrification will not stop take that take that take that
all around the country if brehs can, they should buy property IN cities, not the suburbs but IN city limits

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
All I'm saying is moving to the cities from the suburbs is backwards. How does someone go from living in a family house in a nice area to living in an apartment in the city?
Not necessarily. I know a lot of couples move to smaller places once their kids leave. My house is 5BR/3300 square feet... I don't want to deal with all that shyt once my kids are on their own. I'd love to move into a condo with no lawn or maintenance. Plus I think it will be fun and keep me healthy to be in a place I can walk around.

As for the recession stopping gentrification :usure: Not sure why you think the recession would affect people with money worse than people without it. If anything the last recession is what accelerated gentrification in NY.

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
i think most of the guys here don't know that those are nice coops in a very prime location

you went to NYU im guessing?

Yup
I actually loathe that area tho but yeah the insides of those coopts are modern af

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

Bumblebreh

Collecting honey and money
Daps
nikkas in D.C, New York and L.A playing thousands of dollars in rent while living in building that spells like heroin.

streets smelling like urine,traffic pollution and garbage.
Pay luxury prices and only get standard furnishing with no parking

Pazzy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Backwards for who?

If you're in the burbs or small town without the earning opportunities or experiences you want, a major city could be a good move. Depending on your situations & goals, you may have to sacrifice in the beginning. IMO, aiming high is never a waste of time. Even failed attempts serve as learning experiences. Folks move to big cities for a reason. You not having those reasons doesn't make it backwards.

Recessions are felt in the burbs & small towns too, sometimes even more.

Someone couldn't live in the burbs if they didn't have money. Go figure. Living in the city is usually cheaper. That has changed because you have folks in the burbs trying to move to the city bringing their suburb and money mentality with them. There are wealthy neighborhoods though but they are designated sections. There are many folks that work in nyc and live in the burbs. Nowadays, it's different.