Newly elected Baltimore Mayor vetoes 11-3 city council bill to raise minimum wage to $15 by 2022

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Wages haven't kept up with the cost of living and inflation

NO ONE IS SAYING BALTIMORE CAN SUSTAIN THE SAME MW AS SAN FRANCISCO

I DON'T KNOW WHY THIS IS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND

irrelevant when it could be a nickel more
Bumping up wages is not an excuse for not doing enough to sustain a business community in a failing city.

blotter

All Star
Supporter
Daps
well clearly moderation is key here. Thats the point.

$15 is a lot of money for a place which has struggled over the last 20-30 years.

This isn't San Francisco, LA, Chicago, NYC that we're talking about.

This is fukking Baltimore.

I don't get why I have to my principles questions for NOT adopting policies that would fukk over even more poor people.

The MW is the floor. Remember that. That qualifies for ALL legal work. Thats simply too high for an area that can't sustain it.
how about Seattle which only has a million more in their metro? All the scare tactics used out there are falling flat

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Berniewood Hogan

IT'S BERNIE SANDERS WITH A STEEL CHAIR!
Daps
Reppin
nWg
"We told them we just can't afford to pay them decently!"

9b5.jpg

Domingo Halliburton

Handmade in USA
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Without Limits
There's arguments for both sides. Studies have shown in the past that it can cause loss in employment. This is especially true in undeveloped nations. Recently some studies have seemed to doubt these findings. Regionally, a place like Seattle it has worked with minimal side effects.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
:laff: @ the excuses in here. People really want the minimum wage to be 7.25 forever? I was making that back in the year 2000 at my winter job when I was a freshman in high school. These corporations and greedy people can't stand the thought of poor people leveraging wages. :heh:

But another note, why aren't people going after the CEO who makes over 500 times their average worker? Are they unquestionable Gods that are righteous? :mjlol:

Scoop

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Tampa, FL
Umm, these things don't work when it's just the city. Businesses flee. Not when the city is $5 higher then the rest of the state.

How you going to have a minimum wage that's $15 in the city and $10-11 the next lot over?

Maryland is a liberal state, it'll probably be close to $15 by the time 2022 rolls around anyway. No need to force it at the city level.

Scoop

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Tampa, FL
Min wage is a price floor and like any price floor it leads to inefficiencies (unemployment).

Libs that support exuberant min wages seem okay sacrificing some people's jobs as long as it results in those who kept their job having more money...

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
:laff: @ the excuses in here. People really want the minimum wage to be 7.25 forever? I was making that back in the year 2000 at my winter job when I was a freshman in high school. These corporations and greedy people can't stand the thought of poor people leveraging wages. :heh:

But another note, why aren't people going after the CEO who makes over 500 times their average worker? Are they unquestionable Gods that are righteous? :mjlol:

My first summer job was $7.50 an hour while the minimum wage was $5.15 :mjlol: