NYT: What Reparations for Slavery Might Look Like in 2019

Daps
True -- but under Darity's eligibility recommendations -- his mother would have had to be classified on Census and Gov records as Black/Negro -- and we know she is White.

William A. Darity Jr., an economist at Duke University and a leading scholar on reparations, suggests two qualifying conditions: having at least one ancestor who was enslaved in the United States, and having identified oneself as African-American on a legal document for at least a decade before the approval of any reparations. The 10-year rule, he said, would help screen out anyone trying to cash in on a windfall.

That works for me!

Been on ancestry.com....my family is straight Negro all the way (almost lol) up the tree. Census records and military records are no joke.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
That works for me!

Been on ancestry.com....my family is straight Negro all the way (almost lol) up the tree. Census records and military records are no joke.
On Nova Scotians and other Maroons aka Runaways -- who left the U.S. will have to be able to show their ancestors were enslaved at one point.

I would recommend them to search Estate/Will and Probate Records and find their ancestors there. That will be hard -- but not impossible.

They can start on Familysearch.org -- and state archives websites. Also, work with Nova Scotia genealogists to help them get the records needed.

For example - here is TN and Alabama records:

Tennessee Probate Court Books, 1795-1927 — FamilySearch.org

Alabama Estate Files, 1830-1976 — FamilySearch.org

TRY GOD

BOTH SIDES.
Daps
Reppin
GOD
The moment you mention cash payout, you immediately lose cacs...:snoop:
Unfortunately there’s a large contingency of ADOS that dont realize you need cac support to pass any form of legislation in this country. We should really move away from the “fukk you, pay me” approach.
:aicmon:But ADOS Ancestors are owed money too breh. It doesn't need to be a lump sum. We will take a weekly, monthly, hell, even a yearly check; like owed back taxes. It can be stocks, bonds, gold, trust, funds, trust funds, Bitcoin.

We need money to stimulate our new economy circulating the black dollar, then eventually, the rest of the US economy will receive a supernatural boost like post WW2 USA.

James Gordon

Superstar
Daps
Glad there is an effort being made but the problem with this is, it isn't really based on what actually was loss.

Like, that 40 arces and mule wasn't shyt either.

I said this many times. I don't want nobody to cut me a settlement check. I need a continuous cash payment that is inherited by my descendants or whatever, that is based off the economy of the US. I need a piece of the GDP.

Slavery was a generational wealth extractor. It wasn't a one time event.

I have a feeling that the USA ain't gonna investigate and expose its corporations to no lawsuits. I expect the US gov't full responsibility and cut a check and make some programs that will shut down in 50 years and say they did enough.

All these reparations articles and statements by politicians seem to be trying to shape public opinion towards that way. All the non-ADOS supporters always talking about a check and some programs.

If reparations happened, no ADOS person should have to work ever again. Like, you should get 60K a year and you just chill if you want.

I need ADOS privilege. We should be a leisure class. We need to be pampered.

The work has already been done, don't give me 20k and tell me there is a business loan program. That shyt ain't what generational slave labor is worth my guy.

She was very objective for a white woman.

My plan is this:

250k per ADOS, mulattos that identify as black and Proven ADOS get % of money according to % of DNA.

Current loans, student and mortgages wiped away.

Guaranteed business loans

Guaranteed housing loans

Free college tuition including all advanced degrees

Free healthcare

ADOS pay no federal taxes for 100yrs

If that doesnt give us a quality restart I don’t know what will.

:ohlawd:Sounds good can't wait till we all get it on code

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
List of companies that profited from the black American slave trade:
1. AIG – bought American General Financial which owns US Life Insurance Company. US Life used to insure the lives of slaves.
2.Aetna – insured the lives of slaves in the 1850s.
3. Bank of America – grew in part out of the Bank of Metropolis, which accepted slaves as collateral.
4.Brooks Brothers – got its start making clothes for slaves
5. Brown University – named for the Brown brothers who gave money to the university. Two were slave traders, another ran a factory that used slave-grown cotton. University Hall was built in part by slave labour.
6. CSX – rented slaves to build rail lines.
7.Fleet Boston – grew out of Providence Bank, founded by one of the Brown brothers (see Brown University above), a slave trader who owned slave ships. The bank made money from the slave trade. Providence, Rhode Island was the home port for many slave ships.
8.Harvard Law School – endowed with money from Isaac Royall, an Antiguan slave owner and sugar grower.
9.JP Morgan Chase – made a fortune from the slave trade. Predecessor banks (Citizens Bank, Canal Bank in Louisiana) accepted slaves as collateral, taking possession of 1,250 slaves from owners who defaulted on loans.
10. New York Life – insured slaves. Of its first 1,000 insurance polices, 339 were policies on slaves.
11.Norfolk Southern – the Mobile & Girard, now part of Norfolk Southern, rented slaves to work on the railroad. Central of Georgia, also now part of the company, owned slaves.
12.Tiffany’s – founded with profits from a cotton mill in Connecticut that processed slave-grown cotton.
13.USA Todayits parent company, Gannett, had links to slavery.
14.Wells Fargo – Georgia Railroad & Banking Company and the Bank of Charleston owned or accepted slaves as collateral. They later became part of Wells Fargo by way of Wachovia. (In the 2000s Wells Fargo targeted blacks for predatory lending.)
15.Lehman Brothers-traced it’s beginnings to cotton trading in Montgomery, Alabama in the 1850s

(to be continued)

Last edited:

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Slave reparations case dismissed
(2002) -A federal judge on Monday dismissed a lawsuit brought by descendants of slaves against corporations they say profited from slavery, saying the plaintiffs had established no clear link to the companies they targeted.

The court still left the door open for further litigation.
But the ruling dismissed the case “without prejudice,” meaning the slave descendants seeking reparations from U.S. companies are allowed to file an amended complaint.

The lawsuit was first filed in U.S. District Court in New York in 2002 and later moved to Chicago. The suit names companies like the Lehman Brothers brokerage firm, Aetna Insurance and R.J. Reynolds Tobacco, saying they or their corporate ancestors made money off slavery.
Lawsuits filed around the country seeking reparations for slavery have been combined into a single court action.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Litigating the Legacy of Slavery
This was back in March 31, 2002-

Last Tuesday, a group of lawyers filed a federal class-action lawsuit in New York on behalf of all African-American descendants of slaves. The lawsuit seeks compensation from a number of defendants for profits earned through slave labor and the slave trade.

This lawsuit is limited to FleetBoston, Aetna, CSX and other to-be-named companies. The broader reparations movement seeks to explore the historical role that other private institutions and government played during slavery and the era of legal racial discrimination that followed. The goal of these historical investigations is to bring American society to a new reckoning with how our past affects the current conditions of African-Americans and to make America a better place by helping the truly disadvantaged.

The Reparations Coordinating Committee, of which I am a co-chairman, will proceed with its own plans to file wide-ranging reparations lawsuits late this autumn. The committee is a group of lawyers, academics, public officials and activists that has conducted extensive research and begun to identify parties to sue and claims to be raised.

Although these precedents differ from a slavery-based reparations claim in that they involved classes of individuals who were both alive and easily identified, they nonetheless indicate government willingness to acknowledge past wrongs and remedy them. It is important that in each case the government waived its immunity from suit, thereby lifting the ordinary bar that prevents lawsuits against a sovereign.

Bring the government into litigation will also generate a public debate on slavery and the role its legacy continues to play in our society. The opportunity to use expert witnesses and conduct extensive discovery, to get facts and documentation, makes the courtroom an ideal venue for this debate.A full and deep conversation on slavery and its legacy has never taken place in America; reparations litigation will show what slavery meant, how it was profitable and how it has continued to affect the opportunities of millions of black Americans.

Litigation is required to promote this discussion because political accountability has not been forthcoming.