Official Stranger Things Season 3 Thread

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I think some of the acting inconsistencies are because of the direction.

When I say direction I don't mean visually, I mean the notes the show runners and/or directors give to actors to guide them through a scene. 90% of the season Hopper had this wife beater swag because he was constantly yelling at Joyce, when he's cleared a competent actor based on previous seasons and especially the finale.

And yeah they lamed out Will. He was integral to season 1 and 2 because he was a victim, this should've been his season to shine. If I was him I would've been reading the season 3 scripts like :gucci: because they made him look like a loser.

And yeah Steve is the shyt. The new lesbian ice cream chick is cool, too. The show don't really have a bad character but as the series goes on it's getting kinda ridiculous how none of these kids are dying or even getting hurt. I realize them infiltrating the Russian base was probably an homage to "Red Dawn"....but those kids weren't the same kids in "The Gate"....the same kids in "Carrie"....the same kids in "IT"....the same kids in "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers".

That's the problem with all this 80's nostalgia though, they end up referencing 50 different things in one show and by this point they're basically super heroes because it's the same kids dealing with all this crazy shyt.

Fred.
I'm not saying this just to namedrop but I really wish I had stuck with acting and stayed in touch with the Duffer Bros after we graduated high school. If only so I could pick their brains about some of their choices on the show. In hindsight it's funny because they always had ideas that our theater teacher didn't use, and she was kind of bitter that she never made it in the industry, and everyone laughed about how she hated them and their ideas when they were her students. I'd love to know what she thinks now that they made it.

Anyways, I'm with you on the direction. And I think it was a little bit inconsistent as well. They definitely wanted Hooper on the 80's sitcom dad meets Magnum PI angle, and parts of it worked for me. Other parts not so much. One example is I was floored to find out like Alexei that Hopper and Joyce had never fukked before. I thought during season 1 it was heavily implied that they used to be lovers in some capacity...maybe not a full on relationship but at least an on and off fukk-buddy situation, summer fling, or a rebound. I'm wondering if they re-wrote their back story for season 3 to make it so they hadn't hooked up before?
:mindblown:

The big problem with Will too his his spidey sense thing only kicked in about 3 seconds before the Mind Flayer popped up for everyone else to see. it would've been dope if he had a deeper connection, at least more of a head's up, or ideally they could've explored some of the trauma that came from such a traumatic 2 years of his life.
:yeshrug:

My bad. I should've mentioned the new chick too. I didn't because she's a new character and I was just referencing the old ones. I wish they let her and Steve get together because they had good chemistry and all my man has wanted now for 2 seasons is a solid girlfriend and this girl would've been a perfect match. I thought it was weird in the finale how he basically took a job that you know he's gonna hate (at the arcade) just to keep being spending time with a girl that although is a good friend, will not be a love interest for him...especially when he was already insecure about not being able to leave Hawkins for college.

I'm rambling now though. I appreciate the back and forth and you shooting the shyt with me on the season though.

Do you think they'll bring Hopper back or nah? I think they will but I also think the emotional impact of the last few minutes will have more power if they keep him gone. I do seem to notice that the Duffers write themselves into endings where they seem to choose the next move based on fan reaction. Not hating on the choice but it's something I've heard from mutual friends is a conscious choice they make (ie. with Hopper this season and with El at the end of season 1).

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Oh and lastly that "Neverending Story" scene was a GOAT level moment in TV history. I'm 100% serious. The fukking balls they had, to just drop the entire song mid-episode. Not a reference, or the hook. Not even a verse. The entire fukking song. They had to be in the writer's room like "we're obviously on the same level as 'The Wire', anything we do will be hot."

I mean, CLEARLY they aren't anywhere near "The Wire", but their confidence level had to be at an unprecedented level to do that scene.

Fred.
No doubt. They leaned full on into embracing the campiness of everything. I didn't mind it. I know some hated it. If you liked the more serious angle of season 1 you probably hated it, but I think this was them saying that they were going to just embrace the over-the-top nostalgia and cheesiness of it instead of half-assing it.

I had a lot of gripes with this season but this wasn't one of them.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I'm not saying this just to namedrop but I really wish I had stuck with acting and stayed in touch with the Duffer Bros after we graduated high school. If only so I could pick their brains about some of their choices on the show. In hindsight it's funny because they always had ideas that our theater teacher didn't use, and she was kind of bitter that she never made it in the industry, and everyone laughed about how she hated them and their ideas when they were her students. I'd love to know what she thinks now that they made it.

Anyways, I'm with you on the direction. And I think it was a little bit inconsistent as well. They definitely wanted Hooper on the 80's sitcom dad meets Magnum PI angle, and parts of it worked for me. Other parts not so much. One example is I was floored to find out like Alexei that Hopper and Joyce had never fukked before. I thought during season 1 it was heavily implied that they used to be lovers in some capacity...maybe not a full on relationship but at least an on and off fukk-buddy situation, summer fling, or a rebound. I'm wondering if they re-wrote their back story for season 3 to make it so they hadn't hooked up before?
:mindblown:

The big problem with Will too his his spidey sense thing only kicked in about 3 seconds before the Mind Flayer popped up for everyone else to see. it would've been dope if he had a deeper connection, at least more of a head's up, or ideally they could've explored some of the trauma that came from such a traumatic 2 years of his life.
:yeshrug:

My bad. I should've mentioned the new chick too. I didn't because she's a new character and I was just referencing the old ones. I wish they let her and Steve get together because they had good chemistry and all my man has wanted now for 2 seasons is a solid girlfriend and this girl would've been a perfect match. I thought it was weird in the finale how he basically took a job that you know he's gonna hate (at the arcade) just to keep being spending time with a girl that although is a good friend, will not be a love interest for him...especially when he was already insecure about not being able to leave Hawkins for college.

I'm rambling now though. I appreciate the back and forth and you shooting the shyt with me on the season though.

Do you think they'll bring Hopper back or nah? I think they will but I also think the emotional impact of the last few minutes will have more power if they keep him gone. I do seem to notice that the Duffers write themselves into endings where they seem to choose the next move based on fan reaction. Not hating on the choice but it's something I've heard from mutual friends is a conscious choice they make (ie. with Hopper this season and with El at the end of season 1).

I think Hopper/Joyce might've fukked in the distant past. I could've swore they alluded to that in season 1 or 2. I think the conspiracy theorist guy said "they never had sex" because he's just going off them constantly arguing when they're not a couple or even dating.

I can't really say I blame the Duffer Bros. for being reactive to fan feedback....most of the lure of the show is nostalgia. It's a pander-fest, as is. I wouldn't suggest running another show like that but it kinda works for "Stranger Things". So nah, I don't think Hopper is dead. Any more than I thought 11 was gone in season 1. Hell, they showed 11 alive in the very first trailer for season 2 so they clearly don't give a fukk about the element of surprise.

I don't think they were trying to shyt on Steve as much as just throw a swerve at the audience with Robin being gay. Because it was assumed they'd hook up. But yeah, he desperately needs a W. And honestly I don't think the Duffers are good enough writers to even take into account how Steve looks, as far as the new video store job with Robin. I think they were just like :yeshrug: "we need a season 4 scenario where Robin and Steve are together, and still in town". Which brings me to my next point....

:manny: I don't blame your theater teacher for not using their ideas. As writers they're really not that good. The show is entertaining and I'm a fan but if this show didn't exist and you just sent me the outline for seasons 1-3 I doubt I'd use those ideas, either.

Fred.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I think Hopper/Joyce might've fukked in the distant past. I could've swore they alluded to that in season 1 or 2. I think the conspiracy theorist guy said "they never had sex" because he's just going off them constantly arguing when they're not a couple or even dating.

I can't really say I blame the Duffer Bros. for being reactive to fan feedback....most of the lure of the show is nostalgia. It's a pander-fest, as is. I wouldn't suggest running another show like that but it kinda works for "Stranger Things". So nah, I don't think Hopper is dead. Any more than I thought 11 was gone in season 1. Hell, they showed 11 alive in the very first trailer for season 2 so they clearly don't give a fukk about the element of surprise.

I don't think they were trying to shyt on Steve as much as just throw a swerve at the audience with Robin being gay. Because it was assumed they'd hook up. But yeah, he desperately needs a W. And honestly I don't think the Duffers are good enough writers to even take into account how Steve looks, as far as the new video store job with Robin. I think they were just like :yeshrug: "we need a season 4 scenario where Robin and Steve are together, and still in town". Which brings me to my next point....

:manny: I don't blame your theater teacher for not using their ideas. As writers they're really not that good. The show is entertaining and I'm a fan but if this show didn't exist and you just sent me the outline for seasons 1-3 I doubt I'd use those ideas, either.

Fred.
What really intrigues me is how they landed this gig. I checked their IMDB when season 1 dropped and they did one indie flick before Stranger Things and that's it.

I will say this. Growing up they seemed way more interest in technical aspects of film-making more so than telling stories. They would film little action movies as kids with GI Joes and army men. They were into directors like Cameron and Spielberg that had very distinct visual styles, and they were always working the lights and stuff in the high school plays and did seem to care more about the presentation and visual aspects more than the story.

I probably could research and verify this but I think it's pretty obvious that they probably pitched Stranger Things as a vehicle to showcase some of their film-making ideas more than they wanted to tell some amazing story.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
these damn kids are barely teenagers and none of their parents are wondering where they are.

even the hospital scene. the damn nurse at the front desk is yapping away on the phone while a whole floor is getting destroyed.
Late pass on the reply but to be fair and extend a little bit of leniency...in the early-mid 80’s parents were definitely less overprotective and also there were less ways to get in touch with them. You could tell them to be home at such and such time, but if they didn’t obey you pretty much just had to wait it out and punish them later. The “stranger danger” craze didn’t start until the late 80’s.

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
Late pass on the reply but to be fair and extend a little bit of leniency...in the early-mid 80’s parents were definitely less overprotective and also there were less ways to get in touch with them. You could tell them to be home at such and such time, but if they didn’t obey you pretty much just had to wait it out and punish them later. The “stranger danger” craze didn’t start until the late 80’s.

Breh i dunno about that. In the 80s you had a couple of major high profile missing kid/murders like Erin Patz and John Walsh’s son. Not to mention that Baby Jessica hysteria. If anything, parents then were on paranoia overload.

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
Breh i dunno about that. In the 80s you had a couple of major high profile missing kid/murders like Erin Patz and John Walsh’s son. Not to mention that Baby Jessica hysteria. If anything, parents then were on paranoia overload.

Nah parents in the 80s were loose when it came to kids out and about. If u werent home in time, u were punished. I never had one friend who didnt live and die by this rule.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
WHAT IN THE HELL/??

I just started watching I thought the agenda shyt was getting bad in season 2 they turned this shyt into a full blown rom-com in season 3. I’m done, 1 1/2 episodes in can’t stand another one. This is a full blown chick show now. They got Mary Tyler Moore even fighting evil men up at the local newspaper :mjlol:

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
Maya-Hawke-gold-flower-crown.jpg

Robin cleans up nice. :ohhh:

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
dont keep in touch with future all star directors, brehs :wow: