On thing I give boomers credit for that has been self inflicting damage to the next generations is, they simply cooked their own food.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
I cook 80-90% of my meals and I'm definitely healthier. All this talk about groceries being just as expensive as restaurants is bullshyt. Muhfukkas just don't know how to shop (or cook).

If you're walking in and buying a bunch of frozen packages, chips and other bullshyt thats only gonna last a few days then OF COURSE the cost is gonna be crazy. But real food that you have to prep... grains, veggies, meat, etc. It should NOT run that damn much.

⠀X ⠀

Geoff
Daps
It doesn’t take that long to cook. Most of my meals take less than 30 minutes. I usually just throw some pork chops or something in the air fryer, after seasoning them. That definitely takes 20 minutes or less.

And it’s definitely cheaper to cook at home. I can spend $75 a week on groceries, maybe more if I get a steak or something. If I order Uber eats; I’m spending $45/50 each time, and that’s just for dinner.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
Problem is, people now work 2 to 3 jobs and work 60+ hours a week, unlike only 40 hours a week from the Baby Boomer generation. Even simple things like cooking a meal is time consuming when you have to report to your 2nd or 3rd job pronto.

That’s easy when one person doesn’t work a full time job.

they cooked their own food because they had time too, people are working longer hours and commuting longer distances. by the time a person gets home, they're too tired to spend time in the kitchen for an hour or two to make a meal, wash dishes, pots & pans. boomers could usually come home to a home cooked meal cause one janitors salary supported an entire household.

Cooking doesn't require any time.

Who cooks meals that take 2 hours on the daily? Always just making shyt up. Always the excuses. You got time to drive to Mickey d’s and wait in the drive thru though

3f2.jpeg

You can also tell who doesn't cook.

Crockpot, Baking, Smoking, and Sou Vide doesn't require standing over the stove.

Braman

Superstar
Daps
Food costs so much now that as a single person, unless you’re going to sit down restaurants, the cost difference is negligible.

Can’t cook babble :mjlol:

A big pack of chicken breasts is $10-$12.
A regular size box/bag of brown rice is $4
A big bag of frozen broccoli is $4

That’s $20 for at LEAST 4,5 meals for the chicken, with the rice and broccoli lasting a while longer.

$20 can’t even get you 2 chipotle burritos unless you go meatles :heh:

Mans said ‘negligible’. You exactly who OP talking about

Braman

Superstar
Daps
I knew we were screwed when Mikal bridges came out and said he ate chipotle every day for the last 5 years and mfers was like ‘yea he eating healthy’ :gucci:

Legit made me sad bc a lot of people genuinely don’t know. Any restaurant and mass produced food no matter how healthy is a ridiculous amount of sodium. Sodium you don’t even taste.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I buy 50 lb bags of rice of sams club. they usually last me like 2 years. cost $45 dollars.

thats a dinner side dish option that roughly costs 6 cents per meal,

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
Going out to eat was a once a month treat for them. Now it’s an every day or week occurrence in this day and age. And these apps have made it ten times worse. I just left WAWA and the amount of door dash, grub hub and Uber eats orders that were being filled was :scust: . People are paying to have gas station food be delivered to them.

Some people don’t even go to the grocery store. They pay to have someone else do it. I looked at my Uber eats history over a 12 month period and was shocked at the amount of money I spent. It’s shocking how so many people can be easily programmed into changing their spending habits even though it’s extracting wealth.

This year I decided to stop certain types of spending and saved an extra $6,000 so far.

Smart phone companies have also finessed people. Making it easy to buy a $1,000 + phone without blinking twice.

Well, thing is it's no longer cheaper to cook your own food. I spent $50+ dollars to make a beef & veg stew.

Granted I can eat multiple meals off that.

I will say that given the climate with YouTube, TikTok, etc. Recipes and things are out there in abundance .

Absolut

Legal Bookie
Daps
Reppin
Las Vegas
people are making complex meals during the week?.:russ:

Cook a some chicken breast or fish fillet, throw in some veggies and bake some sweet potatoe.

These people are insane
Exactly. Those people, and him, are absolute morons for believing folks are slow cooking pork shoulders on a Wednesday night. Put 4 pieces of protein on a baking sheet, cook up some rice and veggies in the stove, and you in and out in a half hour

Gloxina

Superstar
Daps
I've accepted that I will never find a woman that can cook like my boomer mom unless I find a professional chef. Even then it's no guarantee. My momma can make anything homemade pizzas, burgers, steak, AA food (gumbo, collard greens, fire ass candied yams) mac and cheese, italian food, asian food (homemade egg rolls fatter than them lil shyts you get at chinese restaurants, stir fry, alladat. Cakes, cookies, cupcakes. Eating fast food was a treat

Millennial men cook better than millennial women. I hope women using tiktok/youtube to step up their game
I was about to say, it’s all on the internet now lol

A fun thing to do is go out to eat and learn to make those dishes at home to add to your repertoire 🤷🏾‍♀️

Gloxina

Superstar
Daps
Well, thing is it's no longer cheaper to cook your own food. I spent $50+ dollars to make a beef & veg stew.

Granted I can eat multiple meals off that.

I will say that given the climate with YouTube, TikTok, etc. Recipes and things are out there in abundance .
That’s the point.

I’m trying to get serious again about meal planning because it’s great for your health and fitness goals, and a great way to control spending.
Buying lunch and dinner throughout the week because you don’t feel like cooking adds up. Especially if you aren’t buying junk. I be buying $15 salads I could make at home for a couple dollars, but it’s just the convenience of not preparing all the ingredients that go into those big tasty salads.
But you could literally spend $20 and make variations of those gourmet salads for a week. 🤷🏾‍♀️

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
One thing to remember is it doesn't take much longer to cook a meal that feeds 5-6 people as it does to cook for 1 person. I subscribe to this Youtuber dedicated to meal prep. My wife and I's weekly lunches are pre-made on Sunday. I make 2 large meals and we alternate them throughout the week. Here is a great example recipe:

I believe you can eat out regularly on the cheap, but you do so at the expense of regularly eating garbage food.

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
That’s the point.

I’m trying to get serious again about meal planning because it’s great for your health and fitness goals, and a great way to control spending.
Buying lunch and dinner throughout the week because you don’t feel like cooking adds up. Especially if you aren’t buying junk. I be buying $15 salads I could make at home for a couple dollars, but it’s just the convenience of not preparing all the ingredients that go into those big tasty salads.
But you could literally spend $20 and make variations of those gourmet salads for a week. 🤷🏾‍♀️

Cafeteria at my job is like $11-12, so that's like $25 a day for breakfast and lunch. 4 days a week that's $100 almost.

Breakfast i usually do a bagel or English muffin with steamed eggwhite and sausage and lunch is usually a turkey burger ans chips.

AtomicUse

Superstar
Daps
Can’t cook babble :mjlol:

A big pack of chicken breasts is $10-$12.
A regular size box/bag of brown rice is $4
A big bag of frozen broccoli is $4

That’s $20 for at LEAST 4,5 meals for the chicken, with the rice and broccoli lasting a while longer.

$20 can’t even get you 2 chipotle burritos unless you go meatles :heh:

Mans said ‘negligible’. You exactly who OP talking about
That’s if you’re using Chipotle. I don’t even eat Chipotle. We just had a fast food example. You can get fast food for $5, $6, or $7. And you have to use utilities and time to cook it, wash the dishes, microwave it to reheat it, etc. if you bill cook your own food.

It’s negligible for people who consider food to be a minor expense. I’m
Not disagreeing with you that it’s cheaper, just that it’s not that much cheaper to justify doing it 100% of the time, to some people. :yeshrug:

Gloxina

Superstar
Daps
Cafeteria at my job is like $11-12, so that's like $25 a day for breakfast and lunch. 4 days a week that's $100 almost.

Breakfast i usually do a bagel or English muffin with steamed eggwhite and sausage and lunch is usually a turkey burger ans chips.
You throw some spinach into those egg whites and a small salad on the side of that burger? 👀