Real talk: Getting student loans might be the biggest mistake of my life

onthereal

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
At the tender age of 26 my net worth is $-33,743.17. I don't seek an ounce of pity because I know millions of people have it far worse than I do. But just looking at that number this morning - on the day I received a paycheck from work no less, I realize that as of this moment there is no way I can realistically pay this off. It's just that no one prepared me for this. Not my parents. Not a teacher. Not a mentor. No one. I didn't have a say in going to school. I just thought that's what you were supposed to do. I don't know I'm just kind of numb today.

I'm to the point where I have to choose between rent, food, or loans. As pathetic as it sounds I had to be real with my girl and tell her that I'm not gonna be able to buy her tons of gifts or take her out all the time (fortunately, she understood). I had to break down and ask my parents for help which was also a bit emasculating. And I know a lot of yall don't have that option. I went as long as I could due to pride, but I broke down. They threw me a few bones but that was essentially swallowed by bills.

My pops told me "you should live at home for a year", but I'm not gonna be one of those :flabbynsick: nikkas that lives with his parents at 30 years old. Would it help? Sure. But I fight with my mom too much to deal with that stress. I'm not 18.

My whole life has become about the dollar. I have no other aspirations anymore aside from making money. I no longer have fun going out or being social (even though I pretend that it's all good). All I can think about is this hole that I've undoubtedly put myself in by doing the right thing and getting a college degree (BA in Journalism - huge L).

Just to note: I work for a fairly large mortgage company as a marketing and design coordinator so I'm not on minimum wage or anything like that. My point is simply that even with a decent paying job, I'm still broke.

As I previously said, I know tons of people, maybe even a few of you Coli millionaires, are going through the same sort of thing.

Time to get my thinking cap on for real. I'm tired of this shyt is taking over my life.

Good luck to anybody else on the grind. :salute:

VBM

┌∩┐(●_●)┌∩┐
Daps
Reppin
Dallas by way of Houston by way of San Antonio
What's your interest rate looking like?

The wife and I both went to law school. I came out with about $57K in loans, the wife with about $77K (she went to a private law school) :snoop:

Honestly, you just gotta find ways to create more money in your budget. I've used this spreadsheet for 8 years. It'll help you save money...trust me.

Free Personal Budget Spreadsheet

Groanman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
THREE-OH-FIVE TILL I DIE
Getting wrapped up in student loans......
Getting married.......
Getting a chick pregnant.......

What a country!

Yakovmug.jpg~c200

VBM

┌∩┐(●_●)┌∩┐
Daps
Reppin
Dallas by way of Houston by way of San Antonio
6.8%. Which I guess isn't bad? Really, I'm just kind of flabbergasted by the total amount of the loan.

Not great, but not awful. If you sign up for autopay, you could probably cut that rate by .25%. See the link for the budget spreadsheet I added above. You'd be surprised to see where some of your disposable income goes.

onthereal

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
There are people who have way worse student loan debt (especially lawyer,doctors)

Read the second sentence, breh.

33k isn't that bad

Let me ask you this. Did you pay more than 33 for your car :usure:

Absolutely not. My car was a hand me down, already paid for. You think I have the money to buy a new car? :russ:

onthereal

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Not great, but not awful. If you sign up for autopay, you could probably cut that rate by .25%. See the link for the budget spreadsheet I added above. You'd be surprised to see where some of your disposable income goes.

preciate that. good lookin out.

Rocket Scientist

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
High IQ
Read the second sentence, breh.
I read the whole post (which I didn't) so you made a mistake millions make by going to college etc...them loans are going to be in your life forever.Yes your debt is big but once again there are lawyers and doctors who have it worse then you B

Rocket Scientist

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
High IQ
Cats don't know about these programs tho.If you upfront with them,they will work it out with you