Saluting the Black soldiers of WWI

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
WWI ended 100 years ago after tens of millions of deaths and a crappy armistice that just set the stage for another war down the line...

Note this war was in part due to colonial rivalries but Africans, AAs, and West Indians were forced to fight essentially for governments that wanted to keep them as subjects and treat them as sub-human. While the other celebrations will talk about the British, French, Germans, Austrians, Russians, etc. who died let's salute some of the Black regiments often forgotten or glossed over.

Though they got jack shyt as far as rights when they got back home, interviews with many of the veterans, especially Africans, indicates the war permanently killed any idea in the minds of many that the Whites were all powerful, more virtuous/moral, or more enlightened. As one Senegalese said, their wars were as vicious as the ones Blacks fought in Africa, even more so.

NYT article from back then on Negros in the War

Senegalese Tirailleurs - Troops from Senegal fighting for France. The fought again in WWII and after helping defeat the Nazis were forbidden in taking part in the victory parade in Paris because the powers that be wanted a pure White victory pararde

Africans-in-WW-I_400.jpg

Senagalese.jpg3.jpg

283px-Senegalese_Troops_IMG.jpg

German anti-African propaganda
african-2.jpg

AAs-
369th regiment
BlackAmericanSoliders460.jpg

369th_15th_New_York-e1456158030636-475x316.jpg

British West Indians

Black%20Soldiers%20-%20WW1.jpg

West-Indian-feature1.jpg

West-Indians3.jpg

Nigerian troops departing for WWI
5504527_1911362813009097033407906915722180600822767n_jpge753d92ce2026ec0d18c791ac57dc104

Hausa troops
large_000000.jpg

Kenyans
World-War-1_1464757411.jpg

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
excellent posting. this is a very overlooked part of the war. brehs that were thrown in the frontline as gunfire bait and came home with no medals or acknowledgment but like you said it opened up a lot of their eyes and mobilized them after the fact.

Exactly and once WWII went down, the charade was done.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
After the war the british didn't even transport most of their troops back to the different colonies they just dumped them in Kenya so brehs who would have been from Nigeria and other british African colonies ended up staying and marrying locally.

That's not incompetent, that's just spiteful. Boats went to Africa all the time, it would have taken zero effort to get it right.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
The Civil Rights Movement in the United States began really when the Blacks troops got back from WWI.

and hold up
Senegalese Tirailleurs - Troops from Senegal fighting for France. The fought again in WWII and after helping defeat the Nazis were forbidden in taking part in the victory parade in Paris because the powers that be wanted a pure White victory pararde

hold up.............THIS MFer didn't want Senegalese soldiers marching in a parade celebrating the liberation of France..?

The%2Bweeping%2BFrenchman%252C%2B1940.jpg

I saw this picture in an encyclopedia when I was 8. Frenchman crying in the streets as the Nazis took over Paris. You're telling me that Pierre was trying to block African soldiers from marching in victory parade? Sacre Bleu!!

Last edited:

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
I saw this picture in an encyclopedia when I was 8. Frenchman crying in the streets as the Nazis took over Paris. You're telling me that Pierre was trying to block African soldiers from marching in victory parade? Sacre Bleu!!

Pierre wanted them to go home and be good Blacks and ignore they treated Blacks like the Nazis treated them. They couldn't admit Blacks helped pull their ass out the fire. That's why Africans had to fight for their rights, "sacrifice" earns you nothing in many people's eyes.