Something weird is going on …as a black person in the “corporate world”

MalaKai

Luv is Luv
Daps
Reppin
#WeDemBoyz
Compound interest breh.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F7fb3d115-b5f7-4155-b809-dda4d6d00f95_1170x812.jpeg

Ok....but you didn't mention compound interest in your post...got you now.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
Is it just me?

I really got fukked over on my performance review this year and it will probably cost me about 30k after tax due to being given a lower bonus.

As a black person I always knew id never fit in with these white/asian folks and that they will always look for the simplest reason to fukk you over or cut you loose. But i am seeing it now more than ever.

The thing is it isnt just me. It seems like a lot of black ppl i know are struggling big time lately with being respected or rewarded at work across different fields

Law
Finance
IT
Tech

How are things on yalls end? Are yall noticing anything similar?

It's not just you, but y'all keep failing to see that everybody gets fuked over. Whites and Asians ain't immune to getting fired or losing promotions.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ok....but you didn't mention compound interest in your post...got you now.
I forget that it's not an intuitive concept.

Most times when I talk stocks, I'm always talking compound interest

but if one thinks I'm thinking just save $100k in cash and it'll just grow, then of course it sounds crazy. lol.

In my original post I'm projecting where my portfolio will be and that's why the numbers were jumping so much.

150k + 18k + 15k = 183k or so. (EOY 2024)

183k + 18k + 18k = 219k (EOY 2025)

I'm assuming a 10% return in my original post + my 17% to 18% invested for the year or two I projected out.

I should've been more specific.

My bad.

Loggie

All Star
Daps
Found out today, I’m getting a 4.5% raise. My performance review was great last year. My immediate boss is a white woman who came up the ranks. It’s a man’s world and she finally found her lane. We used to work together.

Her boss is the guy who hired me on. We deployed together in ‘08 so I’m good.

My problem is the money is too good to move to Texas. They have a spot for me but I would be working a nine to five and losing 30k. I can’t come back to the states full time for that.

I’ll continue to ride this contract out and pick up some skills.

Laidbackman

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
For young brothers still in their 20's, or even early 30's, I would learn everything I could about agriculture, and everything I could about aquiring some of this land out her, and learn how to built my own house...brick by brick. This way, you'd be off the grid, and you'd always have fresh food. Plus you'll never have to worry about paying rent, or payng off a 30-year mortgage. And most of all, you'll never have to work for anybody else, who could fire you at any given time because of their racist attidude, or for any other stupid reason.

Last edited:

hood b. goode

shytposter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ProSports: NOLA. College: UMich. Europe: Arsenal
Not in 3 months but it's definitely the time start.
The first goal is to get that first $100k saved.

From there, the numbers start to jump.

Right now I'm at >$150K, end of year I should be at $180K or so and end of next year $205K or something like that.

As you go, the numbers will jump more and more quickly.

Best way to look at it in investment terms is $100K is 25% to a million and the returns only get faster from
there.

Though I personally plan to get to my first million through a mix of stocks + RE.

What you investing in? Stocks? ETFs? Crypto?

eidt: nvm see above

kwazzy100

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
the corporate world isn't trying to pay anyone regardless...if they could pay you less to do the same job, they would. With the job market not being amazing, there's no incentive to give great bonuses, because it's not like you'll leave.

They really do bank the poor job market to really dictate how they treat employees.
This is why whenever I feel something off about the management, I'd job search on my spare time.

I did this EARLY too. Never look for a job when you're not working, look for a job while you have a job. That way you're not desperate and scramming for money.
It was a month ago my boss put me under employee dismissal. I couldn't get Employment Insurance because they didn't give my employment record, so I was employed by them still, just not on the schedule. Slimy way to cut the cost and not pay severance. During my dismissal, I found 3 new jobs that responded me back, 2 actually hired me. I went back to my former job which he only put me up for part-time instead of full-time. I kept my new jobs a secret. Its fun to see their true colors while you got a new trick up your sleeve. He really thought I'd stay with them despite what happened. My new job overlaps with the job I had then, so I was able to make a final choice, do I stay or go? 2 weeks and no pay? Cut my hours too? Yeah, easy choice. I left to my new job and I gave my former boss a notice email 15 minutes before I was supposed to start there. I heard he got pissed off. Priceless.

But yeah, even when you're really starting to hate your job but know you can't leave, make sure you have an exist strategy. If not kissing ass or networking around the management, having other options outside of you current job is the best way to beat them. Because they're not going to offer you more right? Play the same game as your boss and cut off loose ends.

Last edited:

ChiefKenji

Lord Cuts
Daps
Reppin
Spazz
Personally, I believe these wakeup calls mean so much more on a higher plane to awaken ourselves from who we were to what we are about to become.

I believe we are so much more then our job descriptions, (not trying to talk about we wuz kangz), but on a real note. The uncomfortability will catapult you into your new self. You just have to embrace and acknowledge the bullshyt thats happening.

This is ultimately what all those YouTubers (including Kevin Samuels, RIP) are talking about in a nutshell.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
Compound interest breh.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F7fb3d115-b5f7-4155-b809-dda4d6d00f95_1170x812.jpeg

That don't teach you this in school:francis:

Found out today, I’m getting a 4.5% raise. My performance review was great last year. My immediate boss is a white woman who came up the ranks. It’s a man’s world and she finally found her lane. We used to work together.

Her boss is the guy who hired me on. We deployed together in ‘08 so I’m good.

My problem is the money is too good to move to Texas. They have a spot for me but I would be working a nine to five and losing 30k. I can’t come back to the states full time for that.

I’ll continue to ride this contract out and pick up some skills.

What you doing now?

Loggie

All Star
Daps
Personally, I believe these wakeup calls mean so much more on a higher plane to awaken ourselves from who we were to what we are about to become.

I believe we are so much more then our job descriptions, (not trying to talk about we wuz kangz), but on a real note. The uncomfortability will catapult you into your new self. You just have to embrace and acknowledge the bullshyt thats happening.

This is ultimately what all those YouTubers (including Kevin Samuels, RIP) are talking about in a nutshell.
Ive never completed college and before this job, had 5 jobs in 5 years. I just continued to level up.

Now that I have a family, I can care less what I do as long as I provide. I got maybe 22 working years in me. Could I cut it to 17 or less, maybe.

These corporations use us until they don’t need us. Loyalty to a job is BS. Loyalty to a boss could be beneficial.

I’m secure my children’s future and making sure I can retire at 60 and live off my rentals, VA, military retirement, and social security (if we still get it).

They can give me whatever title they choose as long as it has 100k+ salary with it. If I could make 10K a month passively, I’d be on the beach with the Wife while the babies are in school. Work is for the birds when you have other fulfilling people/interests/drives in your life.

Menna

All Star
Daps

but if one thinks I'm thinking just save $100k in cash and it'll just grow, then of course it sounds crazy. lol.

In my original post I'm projecting where my portfolio will be and that's why the numbers were jumping so much.

I'm assuming a 10% return in my original post + my 17% to 18% invested for the year or two I projected out.

My bad.
Look into closed end funds you get good good yields 7-12% and 7%+ capital growth

This way you can take yield keep capital intact

Menna

All Star
Daps
Ive never completed college and before this job, had 5 jobs in 5 years. I just continued to level up.

Now that I have a family, I can care less what I do as long as I provide. I got maybe 22 working years in me. Could I cut it to 17 or less, maybe.

These corporations use us until they don’t need us. Loyalty to a job is BS. Loyalty to a boss could be beneficial.

I’m secure my children’s future and making sure I can retire at 60 and live off my rentals, VA, military retirement, and social security (if we still get it).

They can give me whatever title they choose as long as it has 100k+ salary with it. If I could make 10K a month passively, I’d be on the beach with the Wife while the babies are in school. Work is for the birds when you have other fulfilling people/interests/drives in your life.
Work is for the birds the type you talkin about but making money can be fun

Loggie

All Star
Daps
That don't teach you this in school:francis:

What you doing now?

I DoD contract overseas. I’m in Japan now. 90/90 rotations. I don’t get paid while at home though.

We up for a 4 year extension this year. 95% chance we get it. We also put in the big contract that would need to be sustained for a long time. Basically, I could retire with this gig.

The big contract will probably be based out of Germany though. If we get it, it can change hands after the initial 10 year. Either way, most companies keep the people who are already working. We would do a “badge” change.

Ahadi

Veteran
Daps

My bad.

Great breakdown. Any HYS recs?