Something weird is going on …as a black person in the “corporate world”

Listen

Tell me moar
Daps
Reppin
A few Floors Down from the Daily Grind
I hear u but I def did much more work last year than when I first started.

The reviews were higher when I first started.

Meets expectations implies that there were no new major responsibilities added on in the last year
We skipped merit reviews last year at my company, and finally brought them back this year.

They took everyone in every department, then assigned them a 3% merit ‘budget’.

Hey told us it wasn’t a cost of living increase, and to ‘reward your best employees’ but also to “stay within your budget”.

Aka, “if you give her a 5% merit, you have to give someone else a 1% merit.”

It breeds opinions and personal biases in my mind.

hood b. goode

shytposter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ProSports: NOLA. College: UMich. Europe: Arsenal
Same shıt on my end and my CDT manager is a black woman that kisses ass and is a huge cọon. She doesn't know my role nor how much work I put in but gives me a poor performance review plus I have weekly one on one's where she's condescending af. I've been applying to 50 to 100 jobs a week. May not even give a 2 weeks notice when I quit.

I'm also the only black male at my job. I work around mostly diverse non black women.

This right here is the shyt i was talking about when I say a good boss is everything. Ive had unprofessional bosses that got forced onto me, that would write me up for disingenuous shyt

Sorry to hear breh. You'll be out soon enough

Weaver31

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Va
My job sometimes is so stressful that I be tired after work and don't wanna exercise like I used to do and makes me wanna drink somedays and go to happy hours.

Part is because we have to come in everyday now since the VPN isn't working and we had a cyber attack on one of our contractors. If I was teleworking 3 days a week and just coming in 2 days a week, 8 would be so much better.

Gloxina

Superstar
Daps
I hear you bro, short stint I had in corporate spooked me. I think it’s stressful for everyone but the added race element for us is just too much.

Spending hours acting in a weird way for these people, ain’t good for the psyche :wow:
There’s something to this, too. That’s kinda where I say that although I hated it at the time, I’m appreciative I went to prep school, etc.

Learned how to deal with “them” when I was young, plus my elders giving us the play by play when they were working in corporate. At some point there’s always some moment when they go “oh :hubie: ” and realize I’m hip to their shyt.

CBalla

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
@cheek100 meanwhile my teacher is complaining about not being able to find a chiller hvac tech with experience :wow:

losing out on multi-million dollar contracts because of it :wow:

i want that title :wow:

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
My new boss (tech job) is a brother that's a West Point grad. Liked me in the first interview and fast tracked me to a final round. I'm a boomerang employee at the company and I got great reviews when I was in a different function there.

Last role before coming back to my old company I wasn't set up for success and was forced to take a PIP or resign. It took me 6 months to get a new job and now I hired a coach etc just to ensure I can succeed and play the game but yea I feel you OP.

Charlie Hustle

Light Bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sin City
Same shıt on my end and my CDT manager is a black woman that kisses ass and is a huge cọon. She doesn't know my role nor how much work I put in but gives me a poor performance review plus I have weekly one on one's where she's condescending af. I've been applying to 50 to 100 jobs a week. May not even give a 2 weeks notice when I quit.

I'm also the only black male at my job. I work around mostly diverse non black women.

Don't run away. Set her up for failure inside and outside the job. :demonic:

You need to start documenting EVERYTHING. Every task you do, follow it up with a email to annotate what you did and what the end result was. When she tells you to do something, follow it up with a email starting with "Per conversation" Cc her boss or a relative party when appropriate.

Keep copies of those emails for yourself.

You need to find out everything about her to make her life a living hell! Clone her social media accounts and start using them (use a proxy)

Buy some cockroaches online and get her house infested.

JWT4TkG.png

I can continue..... Don't hurt anybody though. :hubie:

Redwood

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston, Texas
Can’t speak on the biases people of color are facing, but it’s rampant with the white people too.

Companies are trying desperately to claw back the power they lost in the great resignation and they are fukkigm with everyone I know who works in the corporate worlds monies.

Alot of retail companies engaging in this :francis:

RaspberryFitted

Boyz In Motion Member
Daps
Reppin
G-Co
You need to start documenting EVERYTHING. Every task you do, follow it up with a email to annotate what you did and what the end result was. When she tells you to do something, follow it up with a email starting with "Per conversation" Cc her boss or a relative party when appropriate.

Keep copies of those emails for yourself.
How do create copies of those emails? Would the job know if you’re on a VPN?

Charlie Hustle

Light Bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sin City
How do create copies of those emails? Would the job know if you’re on a VPN?

Use the VPN for things you do outside of work :sas2:

Print them or email them to yourself. If your employer asks any questions about why your emailing yourself state that you feel that you're "working in a hostile work environment"

cheek100

Truuu
Supporter
Daps
@cheek100 meanwhile my teacher is complaining about not being able to find a chiller hvac tech with experience :wow:

losing out on multi-million dollar contracts because of it :wow:

i want that title :wow:
Bruh get on that chiller wave. Literally nobody knows that game. Top dollar.