The 90s were a long time ago...

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
I'm 45
Just in my lifetime we've gone from vinyl to cassettes to CD's to mp3's to streaming
what's next?

:lupe:

It's wild that Gen X will be the last generation to remember life before the internet

:damn:
Us older millennials remember the world without internet too. :flabbynsick: I remember the first time I got online at a friend's house in 1995 with AOL. I was so amazed!:mjlol:

Uitomy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Anxiety attacks and sugar cookies
True.

The 90s was the peak of culture. Hip Hop especially, but it was just a better world.

We lacked some of things that are very handy that we have now, but we had no idea so it didn't phase us. Like GPS. It's truly a blessing. But back then you just had to work it out. Hope the person who gave you directions is smart. Hope you find a stranger that is cool if you need to get more detail.

People read books. Women mostly didn't show their asses to everyone. Fat people were somewhat rare. Racists were actually pretty quiet compared to now. Artists were determined to be unique. No one was trying to sound exactly like others... except wack mfs... That's actually the same, but now wackness is ubiquitous. Then it was shameful to copy someone.

And it was all so new. We were heading somewhere we thought. Everyone was pioneering. Discovering.

Now you have to be like everyone else or you're lame. Only certain shoes are acceptable. Only certain phones are acceptable. Back then inventing style was the goal, not fitting in perfectly to existing norms.

I lived for a whole year with no phone. No cell phone and no house phone. It would be half a decade before I got my first cell anyway. But there was literally no way to contact me besides showing up to my apartment.

And it was FINE. I brought puzzy home on the reg and had a roaring social life.

Whats bugged out is usually the nostalgia goes back 20 years. In the 90s we were reaching back to the 70s. By that math 2022 should echo 2002... But no one has nostalgia like for the 2000s... Or if they do, it's about 1/10 the strength of the 90s nostalgia.
I think the style of the 2000’s really only lasted till like 02 and that’s why nobody really has a foundness for it. I remember those first 3 year of the millennium there was such a futuristic vibe to everything. PlayStation 2, GameCube, and Xbox felt like some shyt from out of this world, there was that chrome aesthetic with the 3d models in games, shows, music vids and movies, sports clothing was getting more swift looking with a tighter concentration on form and function,

Then I do remember from like 03 onward shyt started to look like, how do I describe it :patrice:

“General”, yeah that’s it, and I feel like that generality peaked from 05 till like 09 when tight and bright clothes started getting in style and people were getting more style conscious again

10:31

Superstar
Daps
True.

The 90s was the peak of culture. Hip Hop especially, but it was just a better world.

We lacked some of things that are very handy that we have now, but we had no idea so it didn't phase us. Like GPS. It's truly a blessing. But back then you just had to work it out. Hope the person who gave you directions is smart. Hope you find a stranger that is cool if you need to get more detail.

People read books. Women mostly didn't show their asses to everyone. Fat people were somewhat rare. Racists were actually pretty quiet compared to now. Artists were determined to be unique. No one was trying to sound exactly like others... except wack mfs... That's actually the same, but now wackness is ubiquitous. Then it was shameful to copy someone.

And it was all so new. We were heading somewhere we thought. Everyone was pioneering. Discovering.

Now you have to be like everyone else or you're lame. Only certain shoes are acceptable. Only certain phones are acceptable. Back then inventing style was the goal, not fitting in perfectly to existing norms.

I lived for a whole year with no phone. No cell phone and no house phone. It would be half a decade before I got my first cell anyway. But there was literally no way to contact me besides showing up to my apartment.

And it was FINE. I brought puzzy home on the reg and had a roaring social life.

Whats bugged out is usually the nostalgia goes back 20 years. In the 90s we were reaching back to the 70s. By that math 2022 should echo 2002... But no one has nostalgia like for the 2000s... Or if they do, it's about 1/10 the strength of the 90s nostalgia.

Nudity and benign nudity were related to after hours. It’s common place in culture now.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
:flabbynsick::mjcry:

feels like yesterday

80/90's was awesome

I can't really imagine being a kid today, they may have some shyt easier and more tech to play with, but they also seem more high strung, my sis telling me my nephew be having anxiety and shyt...and sure, I remember being nervous/anxious on occasion, but never like how it seems like these kids are today...social media really going to/has fukked up a generation of kids too.

Dynamite James

The Main attraction
Daps
Reppin
You know
Being from Miami, this video trips me out for a number of reasons:

1- This was my prime. I was out in South Beach 4-5 nights a week. I worked in a record store (it's now the Walgreens on 5th and Collins) and I would get off work at midnight, cross the street, and party til 5 am.
2- Notice how everyone is staring into the camera. It was an "event" that some random dude was driving and walking around with his camera.
3- Also peep how women dressed. It was club night, yet compared to now women's club wear was "conservative"

20+ years later:

1- South Beach is a total shythole that no local would be caught dead in. We're in Wynwood and Brickell now (back then Wynwood was just beginning to gentrify but was still the hood and Brickell was just banks and 2 condo buildings).
2- We all have cameras and record everything all the time
3- Need I say more about how women dress to go out today?

Seems young adults were much more mature compared to modern day

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
Being a 90s baby, this is so disturbing to think about. An entire era of music, clothing, tv, film, ways of life. It's all gone. It's as if it were a different planet. I think back on those days and it makes me sick to my stomach. Nostalgia isn't the word. There must be some stronger feeling of lost and remembrance most potent than nostalgia.

I feel like I'm lost. Stuck in the wrong time. Time is moving too fast and I wish it would slow down.

There is probably a German word for it.

Digital Omen

All Star
Daps
Seems young adults were much more mature compared to modern day
Being that dating apps and social media didn't exist, you had to go outside and approach. There was no other way.
Even when you got dissed, they did it with a smile. No snark, no fukk you get away from me, creep, etc etc.
It was more or less "thank you I'm not interested/I got a man" and that was it. KIM.

Nowadays? Slim Charles said it best "game's the same, just got more fierce"

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
That really was the thing that jumped out, breh. Like it leapt from the screen as the characters just casually lit up in a restaurant and it made me remember of how your clothes would stink after a night in the club due to all of cigaweeds in full effect.
Can’t even lie I didn’t like when they took smoking out the clubs. Even tho I don’t even club no more it took away from that shady nite life atmosphere imo. Booze and smoke goes hand in hand
:heh:

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
Things were real then. Some things/sub cultures you had to really be into to be into it. Now you got goofies online into everything thats even a bit popular/edgy but not really being into it. Just knowing enough that they can pass as hip. Everything fake now.

A great point. Rap was so niche back then that you had to be a head to even know a thing about it and I don't mean that in a hipster sense but how you found your vibe, your tribe, your style yourself if the mainstream wasn't hitting like that.

People these days are desperate for an identity/label/groupthink which is why you see the rise of these movements dressed as liberation when in reality they're oppressing those who partake. Another topic but its all interlinked really. Sure, back in the 90s you had the skaters, the grunge dudes, pop girls and the hip hop heads but every single one who was swerving in their lane did so with a passion, not just on the surface to fit in.

I spoke elsewhere about how we came up in the days of Real Real and are now witnessing the shift to Fake Real because back then passion sprang from within and found its vent whereas now its about staining the skin so you can point at something and say "I am this".

It really is quite sad when you think about it.

Can’t even lie I didn’t like when they took smoking out the clubs. Even tho I don’t even club no more it took away from that shady nite life atmosphere imo. Booze and smoke goes hand in hand
:heh:

I gotta agree with this. The nonverbals that a cigarette and smoke cloud brings to the table on the club circuit is something else because you could say everything without moving your lips.

But the stinky clothes, ye gads, the stinky clothes. That day after smell was almost enough to make you wretch when it hit your nostrils as you got stale smoke, various excretions and the remnants of enough Issey to make em dizzy mixed into a heady blend emanating from your threads after you gained consciousness again before getting up, getting ready and doing it all again.

Crazy days, crazy nights...

Jone2three45

Supporter
Daps
As someone said on this site before, America reached it’s peak in the 90’s.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Things were better made in the 90’s. The 90’s Acura Legend had more features than most modern cars. I disagree that the aesthetic was unsanitary back then. If anything, the aesthetic is unsanitary now. Back in the 90’s you didn’t have people wearing pajamas and Crocs everywhere. If anything, the decline in intelligence of the average person, the decline of quality of products like clothing since the 90’s is like what was predicted in that movie Idiocracy. The best of 90’s aesthetics in clothing are light years ahead of today. The best today has to offer is a thrifted 25 year old Champion hoodie with Gallery Dept printed on it retailing for $700. :beli:Everything that is considered fresh today is 90% a rehash of the 80’s and 90’s styles.

b7a016d16a0bd590d205cecf062a13f2.jpg

Will-Smith-Wears-Pelle-Pelle-Colorful-Leather-Jacket-and-Jeans-Outfit-4.jpg

eee9255af679d82d40367f91a1e77a20.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

MV5BYTFiZGVhZDgtY2Q3MS00NTBiLThmODctZTllMDUwYzdhYjYxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzkyOTg1MzE@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg