The end of American prison visits: jails end face-to-face contact – and families suffer

Crude Abolitionist

End Slavery
Supporter
Daps
4200.jpg

Under the new system, in-person visits are no longer allowed. Instead, all visits now must be done by video, either from a smartphone, computer, or at an offsite location.

The pamphlet, published by Securus Technology, makes using a video feed to talk to your loved one seem appealing. It says:

“Do you want to see your loved one more often? Stop missing out on:

• Watching your favorite TV show.

• Singing Happy Birthday.

• Reading a bedtime story ... Never miss another moment.”

Under the new system, each video visit made from home costs $12.99 for 20 minutes. In-person visits used to be free.

But why halt in-person visitation?

Advertisement

Security concerns, say the program’s supporters. They point to the conveniences of video, a kind of Skype for the jailed, as a way to combat a nagging security issue: contraband. York says that contraband – drugs, weapons, and more – can be introduced even in no-contact facilities where inmates are separated from visitors by glass. “I’m not going sugarcoat it and say it’s only the visitors that do it,” says York. “Inmate orderlies and officers might be picking up a bag of marijuana that a visitor leaves in the trashcan and getting paid off to deliver it to the inmate. I’ve seen it hundreds of times.”

Another reason is the reallocation of jail personnel. Jefferson Parish Sheriff Joe LoPinto was quoted in a Times-Picayune article as arguing that the new system allows his office to “allocate resources where we think they’re needed, on the streets”. In-person visitation, he said, requires twice as many officers, and York agrees. (LoPinto declined to comment for this story).

The end of American prison visits: jails end face-to-face contact – and families suffer

When are we going to end slavery in Amerikkka?

This is so fukked up. These prisons need to be destroyed the whole system is nothing but slavery.

Last edited:

King of Creampies

Hop in. You coming too!
Daps
Reppin
Wild Hunt
Anyone could simply say "Stay your ass out of jail" and you won't need to worry about visits.:yeshrug:

but once you get into prison then any opinion regarding visits you have is irrelevant and immaterial.:ehh:

and I am not trying to be an a$$hole about it but it's clear as day for us....Stay your black ass out of jail so you don't have to do a Skype Jail visit.

Last edited:

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
They buying that tech shyt up like hot cakes. I work for the number 2 in this market, and some the services provided to the inmates are miles ahead of what use to be. The video visitation system is supposed to allow visitation without that long ass commute, and I do agree that it’s fukked up to go video visitation only.
A great thing about tech being sold to these prisons is it allows the inmates to stay up on news events, technology, and even watch movies nshyt. The best thing I see offered is a law library, which allows them to read all kinds of legal books and search thru a database on topics concerning their situation. It’s been shown that prisoners which have access to technology are 50 percent less likely to go back to jail.

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
They buying that tech shyt up like hot cakes. I work for the number 2 in this market, and some the services provided to the inmates are miles ahead of what use to be. The video visitation system is supposed to allow visitation without that long ass commute, and I do agree that it’s fukked up to go video visitation only.
A great thing about tech being sold to these prisons is it allows the inmates to stay up on news events, technology, and even watch movies nshyt. The best thing I see offered is a law library, which allows them to read all kinds of legal books and search thru a database on topics concerning their situation. It’s been shown that prisoners which have access to technology are 50 percent less likely to go back to jail.

So wait you saying inmates are getting Ipads? Smartphones?

Crude Abolitionist

End Slavery
Supporter
Daps

Ok well they should still be able to see their families in person.

Nobu

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Anyone could simply say "Stay your ass out of jail" and you won't need to worry about visits.:yeshrug:

but once you get into prison then any opinion regarding visits you have is irrelevant and immaterial.:ehh:

This should be more incentive to stay out of jail.

Because everyone in jail is guilty :duck: I really hope you two aren't black.

why not do things to make convicts even more radicalized when they eventually rejoin society? Why should anybody care about making inmates feel human. It surely doesn't make a difference to society:troll: