Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

EarlyEarly

Superstar
Daps
Yeah battle rap has been sensationalized and social medialized to the point of no return. Do fans even care about the actual battles anymore? We know most of the battlers been stop caring. This shyt definitely has become more of a reality show than a sport. When was the last discussion about the actual contents of a battle, by fans OR media OR battlers? It was in a much better place when we really didn't know too much about these nikkas. Because growing up watching this shyt, I would have never guessed that battle rap was composed of 95% weirdos, lames, and soft ass nikkas. I mean, sure it makes for a good laugh and there's nothing wrong with that, but as the kind of nikka who doesn't care about gossip and ancillary bullshyt, it's a bit disheartening to see.
I’ve been tapped out on battle rap. To the point where the only battles I’ve really watched is Gwitty on WGH because I’m subscribed on YouTube.

This whole shyt with Easy has been going on and I don’t even really know what happened and I don’t care to keep up. What I’ve pieced together comes from this topic. Anything BR related comes from this topic. Can’t be bothered with all the spaces and blogs and shyt.

TripleAgent

Holding my nuts fukking thousand dollar lesbians
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Ace Amin did Tru Foe filthy :mjcry:
Came in to say this. Ace beat shyt, piss and blood down his leg. He was probably getting 30d if he didn't choke. Ace needs to rap like that every time. Tru Fold might be done.

EDIT: Chess :francis:
Mackk 1-0 at 75%

Last edited:

T.H.E.GOD

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Damn.. thought ez would restore the feelings but he was battle tested and failed… don’t ask me how… (don’t ask me how again)

This battle rap shyt might be dead for good…

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Yo Twork is f’n hilarious

“Nikka hauled tail back to Detroit. He backpedaled all the back to Detroit”

😭

A.R.$

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

Drunk Stumbles arguing with 3 Letterman:dead::dead::dead: this shyt is hella funny. Stumbles really was pissing 3 off.

Daps
Yeah battle rap has been sensationalized and social medialized to the point of no return. Do fans even care about the actual battles anymore? We know most of the battlers been stop caring. This shyt definitely has become more of a reality show than a sport. When was the last discussion about the actual contents of a battle, by fans OR media OR battlers? It was in a much better place when we really didn't know too much about these nikkas. Because growing up watching this shyt, I would have never guessed that battle rap was composed of 95% weirdos, lames, and soft ass nikkas. I mean, sure it makes for a good laugh and there's nothing wrong with that, but as the kind of nikka who doesn't care about gossip and ancillary bullshyt, it's a bit disheartening to see.

It was over once the culture valued personal material and stage performance over the art of rapping. Battle rap became a theater, so the theatrics must come with it. Since the inception of The Big Stage, fans have wanted to see a movie. Winning isn't emphasized; losing is often rewarded by the most respected league. I remember watching battles on YouTube in the mid-late 2000s and being in awe of the different styles. Even obvious influences were more diverse back then (Example: Cass -> Cyssero/Conceited). Regions had distinct sounds, crowds reacted naturally, etc.,

Even though battle rap prides itself on being underground, it followed the same trajectory as the industry on a smaller scale. Battle rap is formulaic (now), so personals, gossip, landing haymakers, spaces, and all the other shyt aside from rapping take precedence.

This is what the culture wanted.

:scust:

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Diz vs Crooked I
Cassidy vs Freeway

I’m glad we are at the stage where fans don’t have the desire to see these matchups. I’m guessing GTX figured that out real quick and moved on.

They gotta find some new talent though. Diz as your flagship battler in 2023 just isn’t going to work. Diz wasn’t even able to get 400k views with Geechi.

ReasonableMatic

Daps
It was over once the culture valued personal material and stage performance over the art of rapping. Battle rap became a theater, so the theatrics must come with it. Since the inception of The Big Stage, fans have wanted to see a movie. Winning isn't emphasized; losing is often rewarded by the most respected league. I remember watching battles on YouTube in the mid-late 2000s and being in awe of the different styles. Even obvious influences were more diverse back then (Example: Cass -> Cyssero/Conceited). Regions had distinct sounds, crowds reacted naturally, etc.,

Even though battle rap prides itself on being underground, it followed the same trajectory as the industry on a smaller scale. Battle rap is formulaic (now), so personals, gossip, landing haymakers, spaces, and all the other shyt aside from rapping take precedence.

This is what the culture wanted.

:scust:
So many facts in this post, +rep :wow:

This is how I see the Mainstream | Battlerap timeline parallel

90s | DVDera (heavy lyricism, originality, natural performance, heavy culture, real rappers)
00s | Big Stage era (small-room/big stage balance, skill / sales balance, diverse leagues+talents)
10s | 4-bar PunchOut era (TV deals, political rewards and lack there of, views/sales/streetcred over skill/lyricism)
20s | Clout & opp era = (trolls, opp/gang culture, hyperpersonal, formulaic rap, minimal lyricism, heavy politics)

Battlerap didn’t keep its focus on the art of lyricism and rapping.
It’s what made the artform amazing in the first place.

To the point mainstream artists even gravitated towards the artform, because of how insane the talent was.

I think this obsession with “stars” and support of monopolization
is what caused the bubble to burst.

Most of the stars back in the day were stars because they were actually THAT GOOD.

Corny nikkas changed the perception of stardom in Battlerap too.
From a star being talented, to his generated views/ticket sales, pay, streetcred and political shyt shift.

Drawing attention away from the need to be talented skillwise and have good showings in battles in order to reach that status.

Once the focus stopped being about who was NICE and WON,
to primeraly focus on ticket sales, views, streetcred and politics.
It was the beginning of the decline.

It was a bubble waiting to burst.
Certain nikkas in Battlerap have impressed me on a rap level (fukk all them theatrics and pointless shyt y’all)
To the point I’ll always have a form of respect for them.

It’s nikkas like Lux, Big T, Verb, Yung Ill, Nitty, Chilla

Them nikkas pushed and took rappin to a place I haven’t seen a lotta other people take it. What they all have in common is bein unorthodox.
(I could add Prime B Magic to that list simply by taking the way he put his punches together into account.)

Most of their styles fell victim to the 4-bar punch cornball era, but I’ll always respect em for what they brought to the table when the borders of rapstyles in Battlerap were/seemed limitless.

nikkas like Big T and Yung Ill would Spit 8 bars of FIRE, without the ADD crowd complaining about punchrate allowing them to punch harder then others when they got to it.

That DVD/ early YouTube era was special man, RAPPIN really shined back then :mjcry:

nikkas might as well call this era Punch Out smh
That freestyle session with Sway should be a reminder how ill of a rapper Big T really is

How he puts his rhymes together is just so cold and unorthodox.

Lux, Verb, Ill and Big T specifically were the ones that rapped unorthodox out of the 4bar format structure.

Them nikkas were so cold in the golden era if you really are into breaking down the technical aspects of rhyming

It's THEM nikkas back then Joe Budden & Mickey Factz were talkin about being scared of at one point

Most of them simply fell off by not caring and being stuck in the current 4bar set up era

I remember having a conversation with Mickey Factz about rhymin and the shyt was one of the most fun conversations I've ever had.

The nikka is dope as fukk to go back and forth with on some rap shyt cause agree or disagree he is a HipHop head.

We both agreed these new battlerap nikkas ain't rappers forreal.
Yeah they can come up with bars but most of em ain't rappers forreal-for-real
Battlerap was so special brehs, shyt done changed.:mjcry:

Last edited: