Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

TripleAgent

Holding my nuts fukking thousand dollar lesbians
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not if he constructs his contract properly with an entertainment lawyer (not the same lawyer as the company he’d be signing with, that’s a conflict of interest)

A contract is designed to protect both parties.
These contracts can be edited a 100 times before they are finalized.

A lotta artists are just not experienced enough to know this is possible and sign whatever they’re handed because they’re thirsty, uninformed and don’t think long term.

For instance, the K Shine’s contract could say something like:
This is a 1-3 year deal, with the opportunity for Shine to exit every Jan 1st when given a notice a minimum of 3 weeks in advance.

Every year in the remainder of this contract, K Shine will get paid 25K minimum per battle.

A payout that sums up to the total amount of 100K will be paid Dec 1st of every year in this contract if not enough battles took place in that year to reach this quota as a sign of good faith, even when acts of were the reason for this.

Stuff like that protects gives financial stability and protects the artist, because to make ends meet they won’t need to run around and take any of as many stupid battles that might ruin their image (and by extension the image of the league/company they work with) as representatives of those companies.

Of course. But no one will agree to that, you can only do that when you have leverage. Shine has a history of bad business.

I'm going to assume he's taking an advance again but we will see lol

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Don’t get excited. When it’s all said and done, everyone will say that it was another wack URL event.

It's a private event so the battles aren't going to be wack. The stage ruins everything when it comes to these marquee events. There might be less than 10 battlers that consistently use the stage to their benefit. Outside of Hustle & Roc no one on this card is anything special on a stage.

Phillyrider807

My Soundtrack is the second “Carter”
Daps
Reppin
215 Uptown!

tayroc-ave.gif

ReasonableMatic

Daps
Of course. But no one will agree to that, you can only do that when you have leverage. Shine has a history of bad business.

I'm going to assume he's taking an advance again but we will see lol
I hear you, but you’re taking the example too literal,
not focusing on the essence of the message.

The message is, Shine can/should get an entertainment lawyer and work out a contract that benefits his interests.

To alter contracts isn’t a rarity in the entertainment business.

To which extent, is something else and depends on your lawyer and leverage.

But it can and IS done by those that understand the business.

And to think Shine has no leverage is naive.

Financial illiteracy is rampant in the Hiphop/R&B space,
that’s why the main counter arguments are:

“but you never/barely looked at what you signed.
You just saw the advance and didn’t understand what it meant”

“but you didn’t have a lawyer look over your contract”

“Yeah, you had a lawyer, but it was the same lawyer as the label you signed with. Your lawyer is gonna side with the label, as it’s a bigger client”

Shine should have an entertainment lawyer and a professional agent/manager representing him.

This will get rid of a lotta business issues for him.

The problem is a lotta Battlers don’t wanna spend money on them.

They look at it as an unnecessary expense, instead of an asset that allows them more time to focus on their craft without the headache. While having more safety from being used, plus providing them the ability to say “this is between my agent and the company” offering their image the protection from being labeled ‘bad business men’ or ‘difficult to work with’

However it plays out, it’s interesting to follow this next move no doubt.

Last edited:

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
KI hear you, but you’re taking the example too literal,
not focusing on the essence of the message.

The message is, Shine can/should get an entertainment lawyer and work out a contract that benefits his interests.

To alter contracts isn’t a rarity in the entertainment business.

To which extent, is something else and depends on your lawyer and leverage.

But it can and IS done by those that understand the business.

And to think Shine has no leverage is naive.

Financial illiteracy is rampant in the Hiphop/R&B space,
that’s why the main counter arguments are:

“but you never/barely looked at what you signed.
You just saw the advance and didn’t understand what it meant”

“but you didn’t have a lawyer look over your contract”

“Yeah, you had a lawyer, but it was the same lawyer as the label you signed with. Your lawyer is gonna side with the label, as it’s a bigger client”

Shine should have an entertainment lawyer and a professional agent/manager representing him.

This will get rid of a lotta business issues for him.

The problem is a lotta Battlers don’t wanna spend money on them.

They look at it as an unnecessary expense, instead of an asset that allows them more time to focus on their craft without the headache. While having more safety from being used, plus providing them the ability to say “this is between my agent and the company” offering their image the protection from being labeled ‘bad business men’ or ‘difficult to work with’

However it plays out, it’s interesting to follow this next move no doubt.

I don't think I'm being naive in Shine's case, I think I'm being practical. Yes he does need proper representation but how does Shine have leverage? He can't battle on URL or RBE so what would be the purpose of a new league paying him to wait on them?

Cassidy v Hitman was so big that Cassidy was contracted & paid just so he would be unavailable to RBE. He's not battling Freeway and he won't have to give URL any money back. What is the incentive for an new battle rap entity to do that for Shine?

Theo Penn

on that Earl Stevens wine
Daps
It's a private event so the battles aren't going to be wack. The stage ruins everything when it comes to these marquee events. There might be less than 10 battlers that consistently use the stage to their benefit. Outside of Hustle & Roc no one on this card is anything special on a stage.

We’ll see

:sas2:

ReasonableMatic

Daps

“The Culture” :sas1:
Imagine where battle rap would be if every battle rapper had DNA's worth ethic. 2024 and they still booking Qleen so he can no show. Smh
EXACTLY, I totally agree.

This is the elephant in the room, but nikkas just REFUSE to be honest about it and have THAT conversation to grow as a culture.

The same thing with Danny Myers.
Yeah, he battles too much and needs guidance,
but his WORK ETHIC and cultural integrity is admirable.

It’s the “too cool for school” vs “the nerds” conversation all over again.

nikkas refuse to acknowledge that this is the underlying issue.

I promise you, it’s wayyyy easier to build a stable, sustainable, culturally responsible and profitable business model that pulls in investor after investor with 10 DNAs than 10 Tworks.

The DNA’s of Battlerap are simply way better investments.

Not only as individuals, but also to create a productive work-culture within your company with.

nikkas do NOT wanna hear that, because they focus on the drama OUTSIDE of Battlerap and enjoy living their street fantasies vicariously through dysfunctional battlers.

Chess, Qleen, Rex, Twork, Clips, etc. All them nikkas woulda BEEN thrown in the bushes if I had a say in it.

Not because they’re not talented,
but because they’re liabilities in business who don’t take the culture serious.

It should be to nobody’s surprise that DNA has had multiple investors and deals at his disposal throughout his career.

DNA:
“I only respect nikkas that do their job.
You come to work late.
You’re worried about drinking coffee, you’re partying in the club late.
The fukk out my FACE, do your fukkin JOB!!”
:ufdup:

:sas2: :sas2::sas2: