Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

WhenWeWereKings

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’m going to keep it 100 the last X-Men run I really enjoyed was Whedon’s run. Then they had a spark with Utopia and Scott saying “fukk it, we don’t need humans” and they threw that out by killing him. Even the young X-Men was interesting but they threw that out quick.

They need a reboot and some legit threats beside extinction from some unseen cure/disease, or
Scarlet Witch going on a rampage.

The X franchise has been pretty forgettable to outright terrible over the last 20 years. Obviously excluding Morrison's and Whedon's runs, there has been some gems sprinkled here and there.

As mentioned already Remender's Uncanny X-Force run.

David's X-Factor run (when they became Private investigators)

Nicieza's Cable & Deadpool run

Bunn's Magneto series

Kyle's New X-Men

Brubaker's Uncanny X-men run(I know I maybe in the minority here but I thought it was an entertaining run)

Kyle's X-Force

Milligan's X-Force/ X-statix

Carey's X-Men/Legacy.

Anyway you slice it, Marvel probably published around 50 or more X books during that time span and you'd be hard pressed to find maybe ten quality runs. Even more damning is the majority of the quality runs occurred on offshoot x books.:huhldup:

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
I guess I'm in the minority but I didn't like Morrison's X-Men run. He got on the book when I was in high school and that's pretty much when I stopped reading comics consistently for several years. I guess I just don't like Morrison period since he also created Damien Wayne who I DESPISE with a passion. Ever since that fukk boy was created they relegated my boy Tim Drake to the shadows. :francis::mjcry:

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
I guess I'm in the minority but I didn't like Morrison's X-Men run. He got on the book when I was in high school and that's pretty much when I stopped reading comics consistently for several years. I guess I just don't like Morrison period since he also created Damien Wayne who I DESPISE with a passion. Ever since that fukk boy was created they relegated my boy Tim Drake to the shadows. :francis::mjcry:
Morrisons X men was horrible.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
I dont know if I asked this in here before already, but hows that Pink Panther joint??

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
Morrisons X men was horrible.

You're just mad because he revealed Magneto's lapsed ideals and terrorism for what they really were (and I say that as a huge fan of the character). :francis:

@WhenWeWereKings That's probably about the list of notable X-Runs from the last 20 years (haven't read Bunn's Magneto nor do I feel inspired to, and Kyle/Yost's works are prime examples of the retreat into an overly dark "hated, feared, and hunted" narrative that I find stultifying), but I would also add Tischman/Macan/Kordey's Cable and Soldier X runs, if only for effectively writing a post-Soviet comic in any kind of mainstream comics context, as well as effectively exploring what happens when a character with no real internal motivation for his goals actually achieves that goal. In a lot of ways (particularly how mutant culture is/can be integrated with consumer captialism and geopolitics), it's very much the flip side to Milligan/Allred's X-Force/X-Statix run.

In other words, Jemas-era Marvel was probably the last time mainstream comics were fresh, inventive, and consistently entertaining.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
You're just mad because he revealed Magneto's lapsed ideals and terrorism for what they really were (and I say that as a huge fan of the character). :francis:

@WhenWeWereKings That's probably about the list of notable X-Runs from the last 20 years (haven't read Bunn's Magneto nor do I feel inspired to, and Kyle/Yost's works are prime examples of the retreat into an overly dark "hated, feared, and hunted" narrative that I find stultifying), but I would also add Tischman/Macan/Kordey's Cable and Soldier X runs, if only for effectively writing a post-Soviet comic in any kind of mainstream comics context, as well as effectively exploring what happens when a character with no real internal motivation for his goals actually achieves that goal. In a lot of ways (particularly how mutant culture is/can be integrated with consumer captialism and geopolitics), it's very much the flip side to Milligan/Allred's X-Force/X-Statix run.

In other words, Jemas-era Marvel was probably the last time mainstream comics were fresh, inventive, and consistently entertaining.
If that's what they really were, how was the Magneto series so good? Morrison was a limited lazy hack writer who had one trick pony writing style. Every major writer in history is salivating to write Magneto yet his version needs drugs and cant follow through on his promises. Stupid.