Queens,NY
SphericalImaginativeAnemonecrab-size_restricted.gif

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
'The Punisher' Star Confirms Characters Can't Appear Elsewhere For 2 Years

Netflix's purge of all things Marvel is now complete, with Netflix officially cancelling The Punisherand Jessica Jones earlier today. Once the dominoes began to fall, there were reports that the characters found in those shows wouldn't be able to appear in non-Netflix properties for upwards of two years.

In the wake of the cancellation, ComicBook.com spoke with actor Royce Johnson — the actor behind the MCU's Detective Brett Mahoney — who seemed to confirm the situation the cast is currently in.

"I mean, talking to [Marvel TV president] Jeph Loeb, I read that the memo had said, 'To be continued,'" Johnson says of the show's future. "There is a clause that I heard through rumor that we have to wait 18 months, up to two years."

"Will we get the same people? We don't know that," the actor says about a continuation of the show. "I think they got together with a great team, I mean, with the writers, producers, editors, scorers, the stunt teams, everybody."

Like Loeb said earlier in the week, Johnson confirmed that the cancellation of the shows was strictly a decision from Netflix, with Marvel wanting to continue with the shows.

"I mean, we couldn't be more thankful with the crew we had, but it wasn't a Marvel issue," Johnson reveals. "Apparently, it was Netflix that said, 'We're not moving forward.' For whatever reason. I mean, I know these shows are costly with the CGI, and stunt guys, and special effects, and stuff. And that costs money, and maybe Netflix felt that they wasn't gonna profit from it, and then this whole purge started, you know?"

Johnson's thoughts on the situation echo those of Daredevil star Amy Rutberg, who previously discussed the same issue. The common theme seems that the "non-compete" clause if you will, lasts anywhere from a year and a half to two years.

"There is this very real contract with Netflix," Rutberg said to Inverse. "I had heard 18 months, maybe it’s 2 years. I suppose it’s possible that Marvel could buy them out, but I have not heard so much as a whisper."

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Marvel gonna need to buy those contracts out, so they can put these shows on Hulu.

OSUBaneBrowns

Ohio to California
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Long Beach, CA
Are the old episodes still going to stay on Netflix or is Marvel going to take them too? I just finish watching the Punisher but still need to view Daredevil and Luke Cage.

dakidbanks

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Marvel should just go ahead and cut that check and get the characters back

They prolly aren’t too worried right now with X Men and F4 returning but I mean, just when you thought they had em all under 1 umbrella then this happens.... and I think it’s bout time Marvel TV heads start working directly under Feige

The Netflix casting choices were excellent.. I’d love to see Daredevil and Kingpin appear in a Spider-Man story somehow

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
why are they canceling these shows. they are a good watch. the other shows with ashton kutcher and house of cards needs to be cancelled

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Was waiting for it. Damn, Netflix sent Marvel packing.
I never could finish the shows. Nyquil around every episode 7.
I watched the first two seasons of Daredevil and Luke cage and season one of punisher and JJ. Also watched the defenders. But it started to become a chore to watch all these shows. Second season of JJ wasn't good. And iron fist was unwatchable.