“They” really don’t want you to vote out here “voter intimidation” 🧐

Glorious

All Star
Daps
Nope - it was a voter initiative, not the legislature, so Scott didn't have any power to veto it. It's law - felons can vote in Florida. The legislature just added that weasely condition after-the-fact to make the eligibility more confusing and get some of them off the rolls.

Nope - Supreme Court never touched the original law nor would they ever have power to. Plenty of states allow felons to vote, how would that be unconsitutional? Nothing in the Constitution says anything about not allowing felons to vote.

What the Supreme Court did was decline to take up the Court of Appeals decision on that Republican addition to the law that was passed the next year, meaning the Court of Appeals decision to let it ride still held and those felons who hadn't paid off fines/fees/retribution were still ineligible.
Gotcha. Okay. Thanks. Hmm... then those excuses people were using in 2020 was BS in FL.

Mike Nasty

Superstar
Daps

Glorious

All Star
Daps
Nope - it was a voter initiative, not the legislature, so Scott didn't have any power to veto it. It's law - felons can vote in Florida. The legislature just added that weasely condition after-the-fact to make the eligibility more confusing and get some of them off the rolls.

Nope - Supreme Court never touched the original law nor would they ever have power to. Plenty of states allow felons to vote, how would that be unconsitutional? Nothing in the Constitution says anything about not allowing felons to vote.

What the Supreme Court did was decline to take up the Court of Appeals decision on that Republican addition to the law that was passed the next year, meaning the Court of Appeals decision to let it ride still held and those felons who hadn't paid off fines/fees/retribution were still ineligible.
Wasn't weed also a voter's referendum? What happened with that I thought it passed but somehow it didn't become ratified.

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
Voter fraud is a crime. Did they break the law or not....if not...they got a suit...whats the issue?

RageKage

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Macragge
It's it the most egregious example of racism in the other three countries?

Probably not but when you consider the US has by far the most ppl in prison in the world

percent_incarcerated.png

And non-white A.A. are far more represented in that population than any other group

race_us_prison.jpg

and in the context of all of the other history I am sure you are aware of, we can safely say the US stands apart from any other developed western nation with its practice of enthusiastically locking non-whites up and ensuring they never get to vote again.

Micky Mikey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You (alleged) Dem shills always try to deflect and act like it's one or the other, and that's not how it works. Just because the Repubicans are flagrantly evil doesn't make the Dems good. After the Civil Right Bill, they integrated us out of our economy, and it's been all downhill since. Are you people really going to pretend they've done right by Black people? We're dying in the streets left and right, but the Asians cried about "racism" for 20 minutes and got money and a hate crime bill, while we've been shyt on for CENTURIES. Asians don't vote in general, and not nearly as overwhelmingly Democrat. I'm not even Reparations or Nothing, but I demand POLICY. You talk about me paying lip service, but lip service is all we get from the Democratic Party. I'll ask you like I ask everyone else, how do we win voting blind Dem when they haven't even promised us anything tangible? "But Trump/Republican Boogeyman" and "lesser of two evils" are not answers. Give me a logical answer and I'll concede. Hasn't happened yet...
Dems are giving me 20k for my student loans and aren't in support of forcing my daughter to have a baby if she's raped. They're also the only major party that acknoweledges climate change - you know the greatesr existential threat humanity ever faced :why:

That's enough of a tangible to me.

Much of the problems we as a people face are the result of decades of failed policies that were initiated by Republicans, from Nixon's War on Drugs to Reagen's ultra capitalism which has resulted in millions of union jobs going overseas and the erosion of social safety nets. I'm not staying all of this to absolve the Democratic party but when criticizing them you should put things into proper context. Also the Democrats have presented legislation that would exclusively help us and society as a whole only for it to be killed by Republican obstruction. We can't begin to have a functional democracy when one side is committed to doing everything in its power to prevent progress.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Wasn't weed also a voter's referendum? What happened with that I thought it passed but somehow it didn't become ratified.

Nope, medical marijuana was passed by the voters in 2016 and signed into law in 2017. But similar to this, the right-wing Florida Legislature is doing every they can to muck it up, slow-playing approval of distribution licenses and only giving them out to people with the right connections.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Voter fraud is a crime. Did they break the law or not....if not...they got a suit...whats the issue?

Intentional voter fraud is a crime. Accidentally signing up to vote because you believe you are eligible or are told that you are eligible is not a crime. All of these guys thought they were eligible to vote because Florida passed a law making it okay for ex-felons to vote, and several of them were even directly told they could vote by voting officials, so they never should have been charged. Their vote doesn't count and their name is removed from the rolls but they didn't commit a crime.

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
Intentional voter fraud is a crime. Accidentally signing up to vote because you believe you are eligible or are told that you are eligible is not a crime. All of these guys thought they were eligible to vote because Florida passed a law making it okay for ex-felons to vote, and several of them were even directly told they could vote by voting officials, so they never should have been charged. Their vote doesn't count and their name is removed from the rolls but they didn't commit a crime.

So they accidentally committed a crime?

Glorious

All Star
Daps
Nope, medical marijuana was passed by the voters in 2016 and signed into law in 2017. But similar to this, the right-wing Florida Legislature is doing every they can to muck it up, slow-playing approval of distribution licenses and only giving them out to people with the right connections.
This is similar what is being done in NY. They were suppose to make getting cannabis agriculture licenses easier for minorities but it hasn't translated. And now there constant delays. How can you have years of prerequisites legally in NYS?

Dameon Farrow

Superstar
Daps
That's not a movement, that was just dumbasses spouting off who turned around and took it back. Trump is actively campaigning for candidates. :childplease:
Thank you. I was not personally about to go back and forth with @Chillin Dude knows it's not the same and is attention seeking. Or slow. Or obtuse.

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
They sure spend a lot of effort trying to stop something that the coli tells me doesn't matter.
Cause the coli is full of fake revolutionary clowns. When I looked at the number of things there is to vote for this Fall and how many aspects of my life locally this effects, it told me how often our people get shot in the foot by stupid. The “dont vote” folks never caveat how important local elections are. The city council talking greasy about black people should be a giant foghorn of why getting in the process matters. Dont vote sentiment absolutely lines up with white supremacists “we cant let them vote” policies.