Trump: I would block AT&T/Time Warner merger "Deals like this destroy Democracy"

CACtain Planet

The Power is YOURS!
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
CACness Aberdeen
This isn't necessarily a recognized presidential power. And nothing about this gives him the power to "block" the agreement. He can threaten to sue all he wants, that's what he does anyway. Doesn't mean he has the power to block this agreement.
Um, the Department of Justice is organized under the direction of the President which is why the President is responsible for appointing them..if the Department goes against the Presidents wishes then the President can either out right fire them or reduce their operating budget the next fiscal year..the case is ripe for an Anti-trust lawsuit like Trump said..Obama and Clinton aren't going to block it though because they are funded by both companies..but Trump isnt:Shawltrump:

MustafaSTL

Achievement In Every Field of Human Endeavor
Daps
Um, the Department of Justice is organized under the direction of the President which is why the President is responsible for appointing them..if the Department goes against the Presidents wishes then the President can either out right fire them or reduce their operating budget the next fiscal year..the case is ripe for an Anti-trust lawsuit like Trump said..Obama and Clinton aren't going to block it though because they are funded by both companies..but Trump isnt:Shawltrump:
I didn't say anything about the department going against Trump. I said he can threaten to sue all he wants, that doesn't mean he has the outright power to block the agreement, because as president he does not have that unilateral power.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
the guy ran a fake university. his opinion on everything is void.

:mjlol:

CACtain Planet

The Power is YOURS!
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
CACness Aberdeen
I didn't say anything about the department going against Trump. I said he can threaten to sue all he wants, that doesn't mean he has the outright power to block the agreement, because as president he does not have that unilateral power.

Except the Federal Communications Commission is also under the jurisdiction of the President and the FCC has to approve the deal...Trump can direct the director of the FCC to block the deal:trumpmad:

MustafaSTL

Daps
Except the Federal Communications Commission is also under the jurisdiction of the President and the FCC has to approve the deal...Trump can direct the director of the FCC to block the deal:trumpmad:
The FCC commissioners are appointed by the president and approved by the Senate after expiration of their terms. Even under the wink wink presidential powers, this is a long stretch. This is all talk because Trump has no shot of winning the election anyway, but if you think he can walk into the FCC offices and just tell commissioners (three of them are democrats by the way) he didn't nominate to block the deal, go right ahead.

CACtain Planet

The Power is YOURS!
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
CACness Aberdeen
The FCC commissioners are appointed by the president and approved by the Senate after expiration of their terms. Even under the wink wink presidential powers, this is a long stretch. This is all talk because Trump has no shot of winning the election anyway, but if you think he can walk into the FCC offices and just tell commissioners (three of them are democrats by the way) he didn't nominate to block the deal, go right ahead.
Clearly you dont understand how the system works..Newly selected Presidents appoint whoever they want to head bureaucracies (with Senate confirmation) like the FCC so obviously Trump wouldnt be dealing with 3 democrats if he was indeed selected...And of course Trump has no shot of winning, the elites and big corporations didnt fund his campaign...

However, AT&T contributed $196,952 to Hillary's campaign this year and $221,418 to Barack Obama in 2012 AT&T Inc: Summary | OpenSecrets

Time Warner contributed $391,760 to Hillary's Campaign this year and $448,021 to Barack Obama in 2012 Time Warner: Summary | OpenSecrets

Both have contributed millions to congressional members in both parties and millions lobbying both parties this year and in 2014 as well....

So while your dumbass was worried about #TrumpSet groping some heux in the 80's, the elites were busy making potentially trillion dollar deals...Keep sucking up that CNN and MSNBC dikk though, they are literally leading the population to the slaughter with the blatant propaganda..So yes #TrumpSet is right when he says he would file anti-trust lawsuits against this deal, its no wonder why either of these conglomerates have given to his campaign :Shawltrump:

MustafaSTL

Daps
Clearly you dont understand how the system works..Newly selected Presidents appoint whoever they want to head bureaucracies (with Senate confirmation) like the FCC so obviously Trump wouldnt be dealing with 3 democrats if he was indeed selected...And of course Trump has no shot of winning, the elites and big corporations didnt fund his campaign...

However, AT&T contributed $196,952 to Hillary's campaign this year and $221,418 to Barack Obama in 2012 AT&T Inc: Summary | OpenSecrets

Time Warner contributed $391,760 to Hillary's Campaign this year and $448,021 to Barack Obama in 2012 Time Warner: Summary | OpenSecrets

Both have contributed millions to congressional members in both parties and millions lobbying both parties this year and in 2014 as well....

So while your dumbass was worried about #TrumpSet groping some heux in the 80's, the elites were busy making potentially trillion dollar deals...Keep sucking up that CNN and MSNBC dikk though, they are literally leading the population to the slaughter with the blatant propaganda..So yes #TrumpSet is right when he says he would file anti-trust lawsuits against this deal, its no wonder why either of these conglomerates have given to his campaign :Shawltrump:
Man I don't give a fukk about that corporate contribution shyt. I never brought it up and it was never a point I made. So sit your illiterate ass down with that.

FCC commissioners have 5 year terms unless they resign. So Trump wouldn't necessarily have to appoint 5 new commissioners. And even then, there can only be at most 3 from one party.

My only point is that this is not a unilateral presidential power to block mergers and acquisitions. Something you have continued to struggle to read and understand.

CACtain Planet

The Power is YOURS!
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
CACness Aberdeen
Man I don't give a fukk about that corporate contribution shyt.

That is why you remain lost..You blantley ignore facts to fit your inconvient fantasy land of what the president can and cant do...If the President wants to block a multi billionaire dollar merger, the President has the powers to do so or at the very least delay it for so long that eventually the companies give up..But like I said, there are other factors at play that most americans including you do not understand as far as what goes into this type of thing...Time Warner and AT&T have been working on this merger since Obama got in office..years of lobbying and campaign contributions have culminated into this...They are pushing this shyt now because they rather it get approved by Obama rather than risking that shyt getting blocked by a #TrumpSet presidency...:trumpmad:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Meh, you don't have freedom of speech to lie about someone raping you.

Can he prove they're lying? It sounds pretty consistent with what he says and how he's always conducted himself.

Sounds like we'll find out in court.

The burden of proof will be on the "victims" not Trump.

I'm skeptical of all these "victims" coming out at the same time a couple weeks before the election, when it supposedly happened years ago.

No the burden of proof won't be on them. If you want to challenge someone on that, YOU have to prove that they were lying and that they knew it.

Trump doesn't have a chance of winning those cases in court. He's done the same thing before and lost, when a reporter claimed he wasn't worth nearly what he said he was worth. He's only trying to make them spend a ton of money on lawyers. Trump is doing this as a pure intimidation tactic, nothing more.

MustafaSTL

Daps
That is why you remain lost..You blantley ignore facts to fit your inconvient fantasy land of what the president can and cant do...If the President wants to block a multi billionaire dollar merger, the President has the powers to do so or at the very least delay it for so long that eventually the companies give up..But like I said, there are other factors at play that most americans including you do not understand as far as what goes into this type of thing...Time Warner and AT&T have been working on this merger since Obama got in office..years of lobbying and campaign contributions have culminated into this...They are pushing this shyt now because they rather it get approved by Obama rather than risking that shyt getting blocked by a #TrumpSet presidency...:trumpmad:
As a lawyer, my only point was about constitutional powers of the president. All that other shyt you brought up is a separate point I did not raise. So again, all you said meant nothing towards my original point. Damn.

CACtain Planet

The Power is YOURS!
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
CACness Aberdeen
As a lawyer, my only point was about constitutional powers of the president. All that other shyt you brought up is a separate point I did not raise. So again, all you said meant nothing towards my original point. Damn.
Constitutional powers get expanded by each president everyday B...As a lawyer you should understand that in this situation the President has legal means to block these type of deals..Of course it is not implicit in the constitution however there is precedence...As a lawyer you should be familiar with cases involving Standard Oil, AT&T, Microsoft, and Kodak in which the President directed his administration to block multi billion dollar mergers using Anti-trust laws

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
Gotta disagree on Obama being weak on mergers. He's been pretty strong on fighting large mergers. Hillary would be weak because she's completely bought and sold but she does move like grass in the wind if you push her enough. Trump to his credit had been consistent on this even though his own business practices make it seem like lip service.

CACtain Planet

The Power is YOURS!
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
CACness Aberdeen
Gotta disagree on Obama being weak on mergers. He's been pretty strong on fighting large mergers. Hillary would be weak because she's completely bought and sold but she does move like grass in the wind if you push her enough. Trump to his credit had been consistent on this even though his own business practices make it seem like lip service.

Obama aint gonna make any moves to block this merger though..As I have shown, he has received more campaign contributions for both corporations than Hillary has

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
Obama aint gonna make any moves to block this merger though..As I have shown, he has received more campaign contributions for both corporations than Hillary has
His admin blocked Comcast/TWC, At&t/T-Mobile, and Pfizer/Allergen. And they've all donated to him. I'd wait and see what happens here and if it skips to the next admin. Like I said Hillary would look the other way unless there was a really hard opposition.

CACtain Planet

The Power is YOURS!
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
CACness Aberdeen
His admin blocked Comcast/TWC, At&t/T-Mobile, and Pfizer/Allergen. And they've all donated to him. I'd wait and see what happens here and if it skips to the next admin. Like I said Hillary would look the other way unless there was a really hard opposition.
Good point, Obama will probably just let the clock run out and pass it down to hillary if no moves are made to block it in the next couple of weeks...See @MustafaSTL like I was saying the President has the power to block mergers..