UN Poverty Official tours Alabama's Black Belt: 'I haven't seen this' in the First World

Razor Reader

Formerly -----
Daps
Reppin
Game, Prosperity and Good Fortune
Plus people really underestimate the cost of relocating to another city state or across the country.
Financial, never mind emotional and physical)

I hate when people say "oh they should just move"

Moving to another state can be like moving to another country almost trust me. I'll from Philly lived in NY and now I live in Florida. The Deep South is a different world indeed.

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
i don't know why black people even bother living in these obvious white supremacist states like alabama, mississippi, louisiana, etc. These areas are trash for normal white americans, let alone blacks. GTFO and go to Atlanta, DC, Dallas, or NYC.

A lot of people can't afford that or find a job that matches their resume and pays well enough in a big city. They can't just leave and go there otherwise they probably would.

If anything, their biggest asset if their house but who would buy in that area?

Razor Reader

Formerly -----
Daps
Reppin
Game, Prosperity and Good Fortune
A lot of people can't afford that or find a job that matches their resume and pays well enough in a big city. They can't just leave and go there otherwise they probably would.

If anything, their biggest asset if their house but who would buy in that area?

Exactly. This is not 1949. Can you imagine a black family moving from Rural Alabama to New York in this day in age trying to find a place to live that's affordable in Harlem? I mean really? I'm sorry to say it I'm sorry to say it but a lot of these West Indian and African cats out of the mine I mean we may be black but we not part of the same tribe. My goal here is not to be divisive but we have two totally different histories.

Dameon Farrow

Superstar
Daps
How old are you man ? I mean really ?
As much as people crumble in the south for a lot of black people this is all that they know. I mean they lived in these places for Generations so they can't just "get up and go".
Cheap real estate and we are not all living in squalor. A good number of black people down here are living nice. The person you quoted must be fresh out of elementary.

You can't outrun white supremacy by moving to Atlanta(absolutely no jab at atl im just saying).

Sauce Dab

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
i don't know why black people even bother living in these obvious white supremacist states like alabama, mississippi, louisiana, etc. These areas are trash for normal white americans, let alone blacks. GTFO and go to Atlanta, DC, Dallas, or NYC.
America is racist. You can't dodge white supremacists in the U.S.
How old are you man ? I mean really ?
As much as people crumble in the south for a lot of black people this is all that they know. I mean they lived in these places for Generations so they can't just "get up and go".
A lot of people are doing well and don't want to move either. Dudes stay posting that dumb shyt on here being extreme

wickedsm

Auntie Mozelle
Supporter
Daps
Moving to another state can be like moving to another country almost trust me. I'll from Philly lived in NY and now I live in Florida. The Deep South is a different world indeed.

trust me i know. Im from the northeast
then va
now texas

its no super easy nor cheap

wickedsm

Auntie Mozelle
Supporter
Daps
it's called borrowing money, stupid. but keep making excuses.

oh so it wasnt that they were just super special hardworking black folk
it was that they had resources-borrowed or not
to move here

now ask yourself brain surgeon if you really believe everyone has someone to borrow thousands of dollars from?

clown.

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
U.N. officials touring rural Alabama are shocked at the level of poverty and environmental degradation

A United Nations official investigating poverty in the United States was shocked at the level of environmental degradation in some areas of rural Alabama, saying he had never seen anything like it in the developed world.

"I think it's very uncommon in the First World. This is not a sight that one normally sees. I'd have to say that I haven't seen this," Philip Alston, the U.N.'s Special Rapporteur on extreme poverty and human rights, told Connor Sheets of AL.comearlier this week as they toured a community in Butler County where "raw sewage flows from homes through exposed PVC pipes and into open trenches and pits."

The tour through Alabama's rural communities is part of a two-week investigation by the U.N. on poverty and human rights abuses in the United States. So far, U.N. investigators have visited cities and towns in California and Alabama, and will soon travel to Puerto Rico, Washington, D.C., and West Virginia.

Of particular concern to Alston are specific poverty-related issues that have surfaced across the country in recent years, such as an outbreak of hookworm in Alabama in 2017—a disease typically found in nations with substandard sanitary conditions in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa, as reported by The Guardian.
gettyimages-465399018.jpg

The U.N. investigation aims to study the effects of systemic poverty in a prosperous nation like the United States.

According to the Census Bureau, nearly 41 million people in the U.S. live in poverty. That's second-highest rate of poverty among rich countries, as measured by the percentage of people earning less than half the national median income, according to Quartz.

These income and wealth disparities affect minorities the most. Black, Hispanic, and Native American children, for example, are two to three times more likely to live in poverty than white kids, according to a study using Census data by the Annie E. Casey Foundation. Minorities in the United States have also historically had higher rates of unemployment, worked longer hours, and gotten paid less than their white counterparts on average, as reported in a 2013 article in The Atlantic that analyzed data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics stretching back to 1975.

Economic inequality and racial discrimination have also been linked with civil rights abuses, particularly in Alabama and other states across the South. Police shootings of unarmed black men and women are also of deep concern to the U.N.

Alston, who's also a law professor at New York University, said in a statement announcing the start of the U.N. investigation that poverty in the U.S. has been overlooked for too long.

“Some might ask why a U.N. Special Rapporteur on extreme poverty and human rights would visit a country as rich as the United States," Alston said. "But despite great wealth in the U.S., there also exists great poverty and inequality.”