Was Atlanta influenced by the West Coast in the early 1990's

Homey the clown

Homey don't play that
Daps
Reppin
Unknown
I am asking because I was looking at two music videos, one from Kris Kross and one from Xscape.The clothes they're wearing in the music videos, cars, etc it seems like in the early 90's a lot of the West coast style was popular in Atlanta.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Agreed, most Southern Hip Hop was influenced by the westcoast in some form. Hell, you can say westcoast hip hop was influenced by the south because PFunk in general came from the South. Early Outkast and that player stuff and the bass heavy funk beats were very similar to westcoast hip hop. Players Ball sounds like it could be a westcoast track with a southern flare.

Ghetto Funk by the 5th Ward Boys outta Houston, is another one that sounds very westcoast. West coast music is riding music, southern music is riding music.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Agreed, most Southern Hip Hop was influenced by the westcoast in some form. Hell, you can say westcoast hip hop was influenced by the south because PFunk in general came from the South. Early Outkast and that player stuff and the bass heavy funk beats were very similar to westcoast hip hop. Players Ball sounds like it could be a westcoast track with a southern flare.

Ghetto Funk by the 5th Ward Boys outta Houston, is another one that sounds very westcoast. West coast music is riding music, southern music is riding music.
Outkast to me was the first act that was uniquely southern outside of that bass shyt. That P Funk tho is some east coast shyt. George Clinton is from NJ. Plus east coast producers like Erick Sermon were the first ones sampling that real heavy

BigMan

Veteran
Daps

i thought most of Parliament Funkadelic was from Detroit and Plainfield NJ

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
They definitely were and it wasn't just Atlanta either. The Geto Boys looked and sounded just like a west coast group. So did 8ball and MJG in a way. nikkas gonna deny this tho. Even Da Brat who wasn't from Atlanta started out as a female Snoop clone

West coast and southern popular culture are similar. People actually drive and our apartments/projects arent 60 floor high rises lile NYC. West Coast music actually spoke to things southern people relate to.

Look at old memphis music it was nothing but west coast samples when they did sample other rap.

I_Got_Da_Burna

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Outkast to me was the first act that was uniquely southern outside of that bass shyt. That P Funk tho is some east coast shyt. George Clinton is from NJ. Plus east coast producers like Erick Sermon were the first ones sampling that real heavy

even kast had a lot of west coast influence

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
West coast and southern popular culture are similar. People actually drive and our apartments/projects arent 60 floor high rises lile NYC. West Coast music actually spoke to things southern people relate to.

Look at old memphis music it was nothing but west coast samples when they did sample other rap.
Southern hip hop was looking for its identity that's why it sounded so much like west coast shyt. By 95 this wasn't the case anymore becuz the south had established itself. The west coast culture was much different from the south in that the music was based around social commentary and gang lifestyle. The biggest west coast influence on the south imo was Too Short.

Going by your argument early Chicago hip hop should've sounded just like NY becuz they were living in high rise apartment. That's silly tho. Twista and Do Or Die ain't sound nothing like they from NY