Was Atlanta influenced by the West Coast in the early 1990's

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Why can't Chicago be used as an example? They experienced the same migration NY did just from different parts of the south.

And nikkas tend to forget that Twista been around since the late 80s early 90s and used to go by Tongue Twista. I don't see how that's Memphis influence

Bone disses everyone tongue twisting.

And NYC simply cant be compared to Chicago in anyway culturally.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
New Orleans has its own style desticnt from Houston and the rest of the Gulf Coast. But, i guess you can technically say it was influenced by NYC. The beat used in Bounce tracks comes from the Show Boys out of Queens. Drag rap. But New Orleans took it and made it their own.
you're right. i forgot New Orleans as well.
Bone disses everyone tongue twisting.

And NYC simply cant be compared to Chicago in anyway culturally.
why not?

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

My comment was Bone dissed Memphis and Chi town claming they were biting their style.

And NYC and Chicago are similar in how they were built but culturally black people in Chicago are damn near country while NYC (idk maybe due to being less segregated?) blacks had a different swag compared to west coast and southern blacks.

Someone more well versed like @IllmaticDelta can maybe elaborate better but outside of the initial people migrating out of the south NYCers rode that “big city” thing harder compared to say black folls who migrated to Chicago, Detroit, or the West Coast.

I would say the differences probably sparked around when hip hop started? Maybe disco? But I’d argue nyc being the night life mecca in the 70s-80s is what created them being so distinctly different. While east coast cats were listening to hip hop everyone else was probably still on disco,funk, etc.

3rd Ward Swangin

Superstar
Daps
well yeah obviously, all AA music is from the south (notable exception is hip hop)
Rap from the south. Blowfly first rapper on wax. He may be the first to diss on wax when he dissed Kurtis Blow. He's definitely the first Dirty rapper.