"We Need Big Guards & Wings Who Defend Like Dogs" - Official Washington Wizards 2022 Offseason Thread

Will Tommy Sheppard continue to falter in the NBA Draft and sign contracts with mid-talent?

• Total voters

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
That quote is from Bradley Beal's appearance on NBC Sports Washington last month when the Bullets lost to the Rockets by 18 after holding a 23 point lead.

With the season over, I can point to the following Ls which were terrible and a sign of Wes Unseld Jr's head coaching inexperience and Tommy Sheppard's roster construction after the Westbrook trade last August.

Off the top of my head, these are the worst losses of the season in which your Bullets had double digit advantages:

Wizards vs Hornets, November 17, 2021 | Basketball-Reference.com
Wizards vs Kings, December 15, 2021 | Basketball-Reference.com
Bulls vs Wizards, January 1, 2022 | Basketball-Reference.com
Rockets vs Wizards, January 5, 2022 | Basketball-Reference.com
Raptors vs Wizards, January 21, 2022 | Basketball-Reference.com
Clippers vs Wizards, January 25, 2022 | Basketball-Reference.com

And you have another 3-4 games lost in OT or within 3-5 points.. I'm thinking the Spurs game, the Hawks game, 2nd Cavs game in CLE, Knicks game, etc.

All that's to say, we need a legitimate starting PG. And we also need wings with size who can defend.

How do we do that? Well, its highly likely Beal re-signs for the 10-year veteran max of 5 years $240M. So we're going to operate on what Ted Leonsis wants. :francis:

Here's our salary cap and luxury tax situation: Washington Wizards 2022-23 Salary Cap

We'll be north of $20M under the luxury tax to use the MLE and other exceptions we have.

We have our 2022 lottery pick with wing prospects there in the top 10-12. Depending on the Spurs, we may have improved odds to get into the top 4.

IMO, the top two prospects are Holmgren and Ivey. If we got in position for one of them, the future would be bright.

But I have no problem with taking Mathurin or Eason with our lottery pick if we stay at 10. Dyson Daniels has all the tools we're looking for except the kid can't shoot. Johnny Davis gets a lot of love by Wizards twitter but the kid isn't efficient at all. TyTy Washington at PG isn't impressive to me since he has no quick first step and isn't a master at any one skill. He reminds me of a slower Jeff Teague.

I'd like to target Tyus Jones for PG. I'd keep Satoransky because he is a big guard.

I would bring an Anthony Gill back to come off the bench as your 12-15 man.

I'd shop Rui Hachimura or Kyle Kuzma for PG help if we can't land Jones or another PG in free agency with the MLE.

I'd sign a third big with size to supplement what we have with Porzingis and Gafford.

I'd buy low on any dog defending wings who are in free agency and I'd be scouting like a hawk for anyone who's 6-7 who knows how to play TEAM DEFENSE.

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Otto Porter back just cause of that.

Anyway, thoughts on this season where we went 10-3 and then 25-44 since?

Will Porzingis keep playing at this best level of his career? And be healthy?

Will Hachimura, Avdija, Kispert, and Gafford make meaningful developments this summer?

Will we make the right pick in the lottery and defy 40 years of drafting trash beyond the top 7... the last All-Star drafted outside of the top 7 by this franchise was JEFF MALONE in 1983! :snoop:

Come through brehs

@thewiz
@lochead
@mastermind
@ThatsRite2
@Black
@Eddie Jordan
@Mr swag
@Spree At Last
@mrken12
@Rob's al Ghul
@KBadd
@seanjohn21276
@L. Deezy
@ZEupTWN
@Guv
@KillbertArenas
@G-Zeus
@Icepick Isaacs
@Blackrogue
@VladTheImpaler
@Jack!
@PracticeMeansNothin
@Smashius Clay
@Jemmy
@Dad
@KBadd
@L&HH

Last edited:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
If we can get something good for Kuzma, do it but I’m doubtful.

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Big guards huh? How about a Russ and Beal reunion?? :mjgrin:

:russ: I'd only entertain that if he gets waived and stretched by LAL.

But even then, its clear we don't need a ball dominant PG. We need someone who can run the team, run the sets Wes Unseld wants to run, hit an open 3 and most of all defend at the point of attack.

Satoransky has been doing all of that over the last month and the team suddenly became much more competitive vs. when he had Raul Neto starting which meant every game you're already down 10-15 points because Neto is relentlessly targeted.

If Satoransky was the starting PG from January onwards, they might just be in the Play-In. Dinwiddie shooting 26% and playing like a 40 year old with a parachute on his back fukked this team.

This is why I'm drawn to getting Tyus Jones who's 26 years old and has been outstanding starting for Ja Morant. Steady and leading his team.

ALonelyDad

Veteran
Daps
:russ: I'd only entertain that if he gets waived and stretched by LAL.

But even then, its clear we don't need a ball dominant PG. We need someone who can run the team, run the sets Wes Unseld wants to run, hit an open 3 and most of all defend at the point of attack.

Satoransky has been doing all of that over the last month and the team suddenly became much more competitive vs. when he had Raul Neto starting which meant every game you're already down 10-15 points because Neto is relentlessly targeted.

If Satoransky was the starting PG from January onwards, they might just be in the Play-In. Dinwiddie shooting 26% and playing like a 40 year old with a parachute on his back fukked this team.

This is why I'm drawn to getting Tyus Jones who's 26 years old and has been outstanding starting for Ja Morant. Steady and leading his team.
Yeah Tyus Jones or Jalen Brunson would be the right choice.

:scust:at this Satoransky praise but I guess he only plays well in Washington

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Yeah Tyus Jones or Jalen Brunson would be the right choice.

:scust:at this Satoransky praise but I guess he only plays well in Washington

Yeah, he loves playing in DC. I think its because the front office i.e. Tommy Sheppard scouted him when he was 16 years old, took him in the 2nd round in 2012, brought him over with a solid contract in 2016, and always kept in touch with him even after he left. That's why he went to Popovich and asked for the buyout as the Spurs have so many guards.

Sato was TERRIBLE in New Orleans. But apparently he got hurt during the Olympics which lingered into Training Camp and the start of the season.

He was solid in Chicago the last couple years though. He plays his role and he's a pure PG. It helps that he and Porzingis go way back to their days playing together in the Spanish league a decade ago. So you instantly see the chemistry post-deadline.

ALonelyDad

Veteran
Daps
Yeah, he loves playing in DC. I think its because the front office i.e. Tommy Sheppard scouted him when he was 16 years old, took him in the 2nd round in 2012, brought him over with a solid contract in 2016, and always kept in touch with him even after he left. That's why he went to Popovich and asked for the buyout as the Spurs have so many guards.

Sato was TERRIBLE in New Orleans. But apparently he got hurt during the Olympics which lingered into Training Camp and the start of the season.

He was solid in Chicago the last couple years though. He plays his role and he's a pure PG. It helps that he and Porzingis go way back to their days playing together in the Spanish league a decade ago. So you instantly see the chemistry post-deadline.
I watched every game of his in New Orleans, he would just refuse to shoot, it was just so easy for others to guard him when he just would not even think about it. I was actually praising him in the summer saying he would be helpful for them, turned out to be so wrong.

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
I watched every game of his in New Orleans, he would just refuse to shoot, it was just so easy for others to guard him when he just would not even think about it. I was actually praising him in the summer saying he would be helpful for them, turned out to be so wrong.

Yeah that's the biggest issue with him. He's too unselfish. On a team like the current Wizards, that's a plus since there's a lot of shot takers. But in NOLA with no one beyond Ingram being consistent, it was a disaster. Graham's numbers were so awful too.

El Bombi

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They might surprise people next season. :yeshrug:

Kristaps is a better fit in DC than he was in Dallas.

KingTut

Green diamonds like a dill pickle
Daps
Reppin
TX

Doesn’t know if he can stomach a rebuild but thinks the Wizards would be a good landing spot :gucci:

Edit: I might be hearing this wrong. Think he means that he doesn’t think Murray would want to go from one rebuild to another. That makes more sense.