• Yes

Votes: 24 77.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters

lib123

All Star
Daps
Young breh here. Did more guys treat women much worse in the 90s compared to now? After the Puff and other accusations, I've heard people hint that things were different back then. Also, the guy from this legendary Coli thread talks about it:

Yeah there was all of that stuff, dudes using women to move work/guns.

Aside from that it was just general misogyny, but very brutal. The proliferation of drugs in our community had cheapened sex. So many women were using, a lot of our young men/boys came up trading drugs for sex. That whole aspect distorted and corrupted their general outlook on women. Sex in general was too cheap. I'm no prude, but you have a fundamental societal breakdown when running trains on chicks becomes the norm.

Also, do you think women chasing athletes and celebrities let them get away with more back then? I'd imagine before all the surgeries were widely available and social media, a girl like the one below wouldn't have them after her like she does today.

the elastic

livin' outside of the matrix
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the bay/norcal
As someone who has no experience as an adult in the 90s, I gotta say no.

As a baby, I remember dudes being more selective with their words due to getting pulled up on being more likely due to everyone frequenting the same spots.

You couldn't be an Akademiks back then.

It's just that the ones who were about it were really about it cause you had to be. You couldn't be built like Lil Reese and considered a threat back then unless you were SUPER connected.

Phantum

The Charisma of the Streets
Daps
Can't say for sure because I wasn't an adult but I feel like it wasn't as looked down upon to put your hands on a woman back then. Hopefully someone who actually older around then will chime in.

lib123

All Star
Daps
Can't say for sure because I wasn't an adult but I feel like it wasn't as looked down upon to put your hands on a woman back then. Hopefully someone who actually older around then will chime in.

Yeah and it seems like a lot of guys especially celebrities didn't fear getting exposed back then like they do today. Today anyone can get on social media or on a podcast. Puff probably never imagined he would need to require his former bodyguard to sign an NDA back in the 90s.

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Yes more prone to shoot for conflict resolution. Conversely, they were more responsible when it comes to safe sex, as compared to now.

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Only difference with today and the 90s you couldn't go online especially as black person and call you opps out. Record labels didn't even let rappers really bang on records like that until pac died .

NoirDynosaur

Yurrrrrrrrrr
Daps
Reppin
Planet Earth
The 90's was gritty, raw and unadulterated. It was very fun, also wild as fukk.

NYC in the early 90's had over 2000+ murders!

East New York, East Flatbush, Brownsville and South Bronx were hot spots. Even 90's Harlem.
500px-MURDERS_IN_NEW_YORK_CITY_BY_YEAR.png

main-qimg-0d6bd5981a14513145db9a80b939e7ac-pjlq

In the early 90's, most areas that are gentrified now were known to be gutta. If you had no business being there, you will being confronted and tested. To the point of being robbed at gunpoint.

There was no cameras, people easily got away with homicide. Bodies being founded in alleyways, apartments' buildings, basements:damn:

It's safer now because we have cellphones with cameras and surveillance video cameras to identify suspects.

DatNkkaCutty

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
@ PA
90s was EASILY grimier. U gotta remember....folks from the 90s were nkkas coming out of the 80s (with elders from the 70s). EVERYBODY was outside still. Like others have said....simply look at the murder rates, or crime stats (70s, 80s, 90s).

Folks were more emboldened (less tech, less cameras), with everything wide open. Again, I'd just say everyone had a different mentality, cuz u just grow up faster being outside, running the streets. You're exposed to much more, and all types of ppl. Not this fake ass shyt today, with folks basically being raised via their phones. Only thing crazier today, is the propensity for youth violence (teens). I'd argue the streets were way more a young mans game, to grown adults, back then. Others might say differently tho. :manny:

I was a child in the 90s, teens early 2000s (also grimier than now). Not only did u have to be wary of your peers, u had to be wary of a lot them older nkkas. I grew up around a lot of older NY nkkas (bloods, Jamaicans, etc), who wouldn't hesitate to violate a teen, cuz their mentality was different. I honestly don't see that same type of element outside anymore (on an adult tip). Times are just different. U really gotta pay mind to these lil nkkas today, moreso than anything.

Last edited:

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Was a teen in the 90s but overheard all my old cousins,uncles and brothers fukkery. Shyt was worse cause u couldnt go live after getting ya ass whooped to go viral. I know people i grew up with in therapy and others who should be see they moms get tuned up. I remember an OG saying if u whoop ya girlā€™s ass dont hit her in the face only body blows so she can still go to work without anybody calling the cops on u

:mjcry: