Why do Marvel movies look kind of Ugly? (Video Essay)

Cobratron

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Never analyzed their color process, but after watching the video... yeah, he's right. :manny:

I enjoy the movies, but biggest complaints would the CGI and the fact that every movie kinda looks the same. They all look like and feel big budget TV shows and not necessarily the epic movie feel that I think they are going for.

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
Why are so many dudes saying they have never heard this criticism before? People have been saying for years that marvel's movies look like crap. Its a pretty common complaint.

Saying something looks like crap is like going to a doctor and only telling him I'm hurt
Most people don't give out more info talking about movies, sadly, and to be frank I doubt most people can't put a finger on it when and why they don't like movie other then actors being bad or something like that.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Saying something looks like crap is like going to a doctor and only telling him I'm hurt
Most people don't give out more info talking about movies, sadly, and to be frank I doubt most people can't put a finger on it when and why they don't like movie other then actors being bad or something like that.
:heh:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Never analyzed their color process, but after watching the video... yeah, he's right. :manny:

I enjoy the movies, but biggest complaints would the CGI and the fact that every movie kinda looks the same. They all look like and feel big budget TV shows and not necessarily the epic movie feel that I think they are going for.
The latter has more to do with their choice of directors. They relied on established directors for phase one, but once they settled into their formula they went dirt cheap. Coogler for Panther is a rare exception but that movie is too sensitive for Marvel to risk fukking it up with some nobody.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
How is Guardians of the Galaxy visually dull? shyt is colorful as fukk and eye-popping.

Outside of the CGI that movie's production values weren't looking any more expensive than an episode of Doctor Who. That has nothing to do with color grading though, just the lack of skill of James Gunn.