Why do people hate unions so much?

Tommy Fits

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
QUEENS NY
democrats have promised these public unions pensions that they (WE) cannot pay for

New York City Pensions Are Still in Crisis

if they were paid for, great. they arent :dead: why do you think taxes in new york are so fukkin high? to pay for shyt like this. but i have to cry for NYC and cali and new jersey being affected by this tax bill because they cant get their own house in order? :camby:
democrats have promised these public unions pensions that they (WE) cannot pay for

New York City Pensions Are Still in Crisis

if they were paid for, great. they arent :dead: why do you think taxes in new york are so fukkin high? to pay for shyt like this. but i have to cry for NYC and cali and new jersey being affected by this tax bill because they cant get their own house in order? :camby:

Well you should care because it's donor States like NY, California, Jersey that subsidizes your conservative meth addicted state. And to act like pensions are the sole reason for high taxes is bullshyt. We actually have social programs for people in the state.

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
This dude really did start a business where he moved the salary costs to the customers. :laff:

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
Because they operate like a mafia to some extent. Look, I'm in a union, and collective bargaining is great for the average worker; it protects wages, provides benefits and provides job security...

But the NYT's did a great editorial on this a few days ago....

This basically breaks it down using the the construction of a subway track in NY

And to paraphrase...Unions make political contributions to the NYS governor....that governor then opens up bidding to those specific contributors (usually exclusive to the highest donors) for State contracts...once that union gets the contract for a project, they inflate the costs by 4x the amount....and then you end up with construction projects that were originally estimated to be 2.5 billion and are now 12 billion while taking twice as long to complete the project...and this is pretty much standard practice all over the city and state....

The Most Expensive Mile of Subway Track on Earth

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well you should care because it's donor States like NY, California, Jersey that subsidizes your conservative meth addicted state. And to act like pensions are the sole reason for high taxes is bullshyt. We actually have social programs for people in the state.
massachusetts? :camby:

and no one said it was the sole reason :childplease: i said you have a problem to deal with, because its a factual statement :dead:

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Because they operate like a mafia to some extent. Look, I'm in a union, and collective bargaining is great for the average worker; it protects wages, provides benefits and provides job security...

This basically breaks it down using the the construction of a subway track in NY

And to paraphrase...Unions make political contributions to the NYS governor....that governor then opens up bidding to those specific contributors (usually exclusive to the highest donors) for State contracts...once that union gets the contract for a project, they inflate the costs by 4x the amount....and then you end up with construction projects that were originally estimated to be 2.5 billion and are now 12 billion while taking twice as long to complete the project...and this is pretty much standard practice all over the city and state....

stop with the facts, please. this thread is about feelings

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
This is one thing I've honestly never understood so maybe HL can educate me on the topic. :ehh:

But I've never really gotten why so many people in America dislike unions. At face value you'd think people would love the idea of workers consolidating their power and using it to make things better for themselves. What's so bad about workers rights? I could understand CEOs/Business Owners hating them but not the average person. :dahell:

Capitalism's (and the right's) biggest victory is convincing the average person he is a "boss" himself and/or just one step away from being one, premptively acting like one and thus hating his fellow workers and people who actually work for him (unions). A union only works if solidarity exists, but how can solidarity exist when capitalism is based on individualism, you hear cinderalla stories about the "self-made man" all the time and "the business man" is this mythical figure who did everything on his own and conquered the world.

And as in everything related to solidarity, once a certain amount of victories have been obtained people start shytting on how they were obtained, because they can still reap the benefits but don't want to have to suffer the inconvenience of a strike today. Example : in France unions are at an all-time low and people get mad at their fights because Oh my God my train is late, but forget it's precisely those fights in the past that brought about the minimum wage, reasonnable working hours, paid holidays, etc...that they all enjoy today. Basically, it's human hypocrisy and ungratefulness:yeshrug:

Last edited:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC

I don't have the time to read the article now, will backtrack and peep it though. I'm big on the Wolfpac "money out of politics movement" so I look at your paraphrased version and can't help but go full bias on that...another example of political contributions corrupting the process and hurting the public. That doesn't make the Unions innocent by any means, but to me if the problem is that they're able to use campaign contributions to get unfair advantages than the best way to address that problem wouldn't be destroying the unions (because like you said, the benefits for the average worker are clear) but to take away campaign contributions and go with publicly funded elections. If campaign contributions cost 10 billion dollars on just one project, then tax payers funding campaigns would probably save us money in the long run rather than cost us more. But again, I'm hyper focused on that specific issue and I still gotta read the article for nuance. Just an observation while I quote this to make it easier to find on my lunch break.

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is one thing I've honestly never understood so maybe HL can educate me on the topic. :ehh:

But I've never really gotten why so many people in America dislike unions. At face value you'd think people would love the idea of workers consolidating their power and using it to make things better for themselves. What's so bad about workers rights? I could understand CEOs/Business Owners hating them but not the average person. :dahell:

same reason poor people vote for tax cuts for the rich - brainwashing and a reflexive opposition to any benefits that aren't monopolized by :mjpls:

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I live in the south, and from my experience working it has been:

-Propaganda from big buisness/government institutions (irony)

-Ignorance/uneducated on labor/employer relations in this country (historically)

-Hatred of (public sector) teacher's unions; funny, never hear anything about police/fire unions though.

Moich

Banned
Daps
Unions are not bad, it just how they are used sometimes for political and special interests that gives them a bad name in this country. Unions have a great reputation in Germany because they are not trying to stick it to the owners and owners look out for the employees, a win win.The exact opposite happens in the u.s where there is bad faith and inflexibility on both sides: capital and labor, cooperation and negotiation is impossible. I blame owners of capital more because they are too greedy. CEO's are overpaid, share holders are treated like gods. it is not sustainable.

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
https://images2.americanprogress.org/CAPAF/2009/02/US_EFCA.pdf

:hubie:

One albatross of a contract agreement in NYC =/= All Labor Unions are corrupt.

But I supposed that's just "factual". :sas2:
they are corrupt :yeshrug: but i guess you scrolled past my earlier post where i said we're better off with unions than without them

just dont sit here and act like they arent fleecing and extorting governments to get paid with OUR money. they are not immune from criticism :mindblown:

Dameon Farrow

Superstar
Daps
Worked in states that are right to work and have family that deal with unions up north.

If you dislike unions, you likely have never had someone sit down and discuss them at length with you.

For all the negativity I was told about the positivity more than outshined it.