Why do people hate unions so much?

Daps
I understand why corporations and business owners hate unions. It's logical. You don't want your employees to have leverage and power at the negotiating table.

What doesn't make sense is when some blue collar cac that voted for Trump talks shyt about unions. They'd probably benefit more than anyone yet they're usually the first ones to talk it down. These are the same kind of people that hate on government jobs (no surprise as they employ a good number of middle/upper-middle class black workers).

Berniewood Hogan

IT'S BERNIE SANDERS WITH A STEEL CHAIR!
Daps
Reppin
nWg
The thread is literally about feelings, though. Hate is in the title.

"Why do people feel a certain way?"

"LMAO feelings much, libruls?"

Daps
Because they operate like a mafia to some extent. Look, I'm in a union, and collective bargaining is great for the average worker; it protects wages, provides benefits and provides job security...

But the NYT's did a great editorial on this a few days ago....

This basically breaks it down using the the construction of a subway track in NY

And to paraphrase...Unions make political contributions to the NYS governor....that governor then opens up bidding to those specific contributors (usually exclusive to the highest donors) for State contracts...once that union gets the contract for a project, they inflate the costs by 4x the amount....and then you end up with construction projects that were originally estimated to be 2.5 billion and are now 12 billion while taking twice as long to complete the project...and this is pretty much standard practice all over the city and state....

The Most Expensive Mile of Subway Track on Earth

Some are even mob connected...Trump knows all too well about this (probably part of the reason he was a Democrat since the Dems have always been mob connected and union connected).

Infiltrated Labor Unions | CRIMINAL-OCGS | Department of Justice

Just What Were Donald Trump's Ties to the Mob?

Scoop

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Tampa, FL
Unions were more valuable back when there weren't really laws protecting workers' safety in factories, coal mines etc.

Today unions are just corporations whose leaders get greatly enriched, and who work to extract as many benefits from businesses and taxpayers as possible. Trumka, for example, was a miner for like 1 whole year before going to law school and now he makes $300K (base salary) a year from the AFL-CIO.

Also, the idea that you must pay union dues to work at certain places is BS. Especially when the union turns around and start making political contributions with said money. I get the free rider argument, but at the end of the day employees will pay into a union if they see the benefit in having a strong union or having it at all. Union campaign contribution rules should be the same as churches'.

In sum, I don't hate unions, but they haven't been changed with the times.

jilla82

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
the internet
I skimmed through this thread...
...and its obvious some of you have never been on the other side of unions.

They have a lot of stuipd ass rules that are there to milk the system.
Like...at a convention I remember it was something stupid like in order to move a table you had to wait for 3 union workers to do it.

It wasnt exactly that...but it was something super stupid.

There is also a reason groups like the mob run a lot of these unions.
Its a con for certain people.

If you think its all sunshine and rainbows...and they donate all that money to certain democrat politicians because its the "right thing to do"...youre just as dumb as the idiots on the right that buy into everything Fox news presents them.

Berniewood Hogan

IT'S BERNIE SANDERS WITH A STEEL CHAIR!
Daps
Reppin
nWg
They have a lot of stuipd ass rules that are there to milk the system.
And Capital doesn't?:mjlol:

People are mad when the working man is fighting fire with fire.:russ:

Like...at a convention I remember it was something stupid like in order to move a table you had to wait for 3 union workers to do it.
It's their job. You don't do another man's job. And I wanna see reflective belts, high visibility jackets, and hardhats on everybody. Two fifteen minute breaks, coffee provided, and frankly we'll get the job done tomorrow unless Henry takes vacation early, in which case we're looking at February.

Of course, the process could be expedited, for a small fee.:mjgrin:

Listen

Tell me moar
Daps
Reppin
A few Floors Down from the Daily Grind
I can tell you fantastic stories about unions and how much they help, and I can tell you despicable stories and how much they hurt.

My dad was in a union as a boiler maker for 15 years, got good heath insurance, a pension, worked a 40 hour week etc. Before and after the union he was working 7 days a week, 10 hours a day in an asbestos suit with no pension and shyt health insurance for his family for months at a time, then laid off and collecting unemployment until the next job showed up. Ended up with Asbestos in his lungs and mesothelioma.

I have also seen a friend of mine hurt his wrist working at a newspaper facility in a union. Went to the doctor, wrapped it, gave him ibuprofen and told him to take 1-2 days off work and he'd be fine. Goes back to work, boss goes 'WTF are you doing here?" He explains the doctors note and that his wrist feels fine. Boss says "That's 6 weeks paid at home, now get out of here before you ruin it for everyone."

If a union doesn't exist in an industry, or isn't strong enough, the working class people within that industry suffer for the share holders.

If a union grows too strong it can become a haven for corruption and protectionism. Example A being the Police.

Always about balance.

franknitty711

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Great input. I agree with @Scoop that Unions policies are outdated.

It is very hard to climb the ladder in a union after hitting the earning plateau. I found those who hit the plateau to be complacent and not wanting to work harder than the minimum expectations. They would be angry and upset and would do things like file grievances for silly things. For someone who is young and ambitious and willing to go the extra steps to get ahead a union environment is not really the move. For jobs like nurses, police, etc....i think Unions are important but at this point the system is so polluted I am conflicted.

My first job was at Safeway and I was forced to join the union. I made 6.75 an hour and paid 150 bucks a month for my union dues. That covered my health insurance (i didn't need it) so getting that much taken out of my check seemed unfair. The union I contributed to (UFCW) was found to have to laundered money for trips, spending sprees, etc. I was pissed and decided to stop paying my dues out of spite. Guess what happened, the Union forced Safeway to fire me and they did.

I work in Healthcare and at first was union also. I dealt with the same bitter people and as a college student had staff complain I was doing school work on the job even thought I didn't do anything wrong as I was always caught up with my work before I studied. I ended up leaving the union to take a job that was salaried non-exempt. People thought I was stupid and said I would regret it. 12 years later, I am making 5x more salary when I did working in that Union position.

I don't need to pay someone to protect my job. I let my skills and experience dictate my worthiness and I get what I earn based on that alone. Unions are great for shift labor positions but need to change they have been corrupted. You can best believe there have been many who have made careers out of taking your dues and acting as if they are serving your best interest. As I type sounds very similar to a politician taking a tax payer paid salary.

ejthompson23

Vagabon
Daps
not really

for example both of my parents teach, and you're all but forced to join the teachers union, which requires paying dues. and guess which party gets 95% of the teachers' union donations? the democrats. any issue you could see there?

we're better off with unions than without them, but they have a lot of issues and they arent above criticism like this subforum claims
How much are the union dues? Seems to be a common complaint...

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How much are the union dues? Seems to be a common complaint...
about a thousand a year. it seems like money well spent, like insurance. like the union would get you a lawyer if some shythead kid acted up, etc. then again, some people resent having to pay it