Why is it that most current male R&B artist are half ass singers and always trying to rap?

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
The women are just slightly better and it is not saying much. The older I get the more I appreciate old school R&B. The current state of music sucks. They aren't pushing out talent, they are pushing social media figures like a high school contest. H-Town, Keith Sweat, etc. etc.

Daps
well rap is the most artistic genre in terms of lyricism. maybe they just want to do more than the basic "baby i love you, lets make love tonight" type song so they go more expressive with the lyricism. i think the less soulful demographics appreciates this (they cant really relate to the soul sanger type of singing) so it translates well for business.

Dynamite James

The Main attraction
Daps
Reppin
You know
well rap is the most artistic genre in terms of lyricism. maybe they just want to do more than the basic "baby i love you, lets make love tonight" type song so they go more expressive with the lyricism. i think the less soulful demographics appreciates this (they cant really relate to the soul sanger type of singing) so it translates well for business.

:camby:

Micky Mikey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Today's top R&B singer would have been mediocre in the 90s. Let that sink in.

I think a lot of these current artists may have real singing talent but withhold it for some strange reason. perhaps its to appear trendy or modern. however the modern style is straight garbage. nothing compares to the slow & smooth style of the 90s. I am suprised females even get turned on by some of the music nowadays. The new r&b shyt is missing all the smoothness & swag it had back in the day.

T'krm

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
BA DOS Af pr
half singing, talk singing and basically rapping in their songs! :mindblown:

I know only a few who are just straight singers and no BS.

The ladies are really holding it down for R&B
H.E.R, Ella Mai, Sza,King, Amber Mark, Ari Lennox and many other new comers.

I was searching for new R&B music and most R&B nikkas are sounding like this:

This shyt fukkin sucks :gucci:

Are you a rapper or a gotdamn R&B singer?:gucci:

You have Cacs actually making better R&B than most of these dudes and I want to support black artist.

These new Male R&B singers need to step it up.

-Since around 2007, did this half singing phenomenon begin to fester, resulting from change in music in terms of: mass appeal, distribution, marketing, ect. Ofc effecting R&B music as a whole, including female singers...cause if anything most of those artists mentioned up top, represent that!:mjlol:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
808s & heartbreak 10 yr anniversary nov 24. real game changer. :blessed:

and don’t act like folks like teddy pendergrass and isaac hayes wasn’t talk singing.

it’s just easy to hate on the modern black man and praise the black man of the past cause he’s at least silenced :mjpls:

the music we make is forever innovative. if you want that old style shyt, sam smith and bruno mars is at your service. :mjpls:

we’re a culture forever in tune with the moment. but the music wouldn’t be all that innovative without ppl like u to make it seem divisive

nevermind yes it would:mjlol:

Nah, DONT ever confuse regression of raw skill and discipline for "innovation"

These new singers never developed their skill in the black church, and thats why their range in their voice is so damn weak. Tired of excuses for people not putting in QUALITY for a fast buck.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Daniel Caesar, Xavier Omar, Khalid, etc :comeon: but I know exactly what you mean.

I think this current era (Trap R&B) is pinned primarily to Trey Songz

:yeshrug: Trey Songz literally sounds like a carbon copy of R. Kelly on a lot of his hits:

So if we pinning it on Trey Songz, I think that actually helps @Doofy's argument that this goes back to R. Kelly.