Why is it that most current male R&B artist are half ass singers and always trying to rap?

Elle Seven

Superstar
Daps
That's Ryan Toby? The dude from City High? Or "Sister Act 2"? I didn't I know he had new music out..He can sing.

Honestly, these newer R&B artists are trying to be rappers now.

Yep, with the 'Oh Happy Day' high note skills....not sure what the hell he is doing on that track though.

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
The first act to do this was a group called ENTOURAGE in 1998:

I think the crooner died out in the 00's sometime when hip hop became the huge crossover phenomenon that it is now

that suburban white audience never got our R&B, it was too soulful and black church sounding for "mainstream" audiences

I don’t mind the style. The singer has a great voice.

Technology ruined rnb to me. Too many talentless singers these days.

Somebody

All Star
Daps
Nah, DONT ever confuse regression of raw skill and discipline for "innovation"

These new singers never developed their skill in the black church, and thats why their range in their voice is so damn weak. Tired of excuses for people not putting in QUALITY for a fast buck.

so is it raw talent or developed skill?:comeon:

u sayin these new guys (not the ones in op:childplease:) have nothing to offer? not even songwriting? black church been turned on their brightest and gave em up to the jews.

you’re just yellin at clouds. :beli:

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CT/North-east Caribbean American Crew
The sad thing is that the bigger voiced artists that we popped out like tic tacs in the past, are still huge....
Its just that they're white these days.

Adele, Sam Smith, etc.

And that bothers me a whole lot.

The method of singing that WE popularized, has been outright snatched in the mainstream by blue eyed "soul", while we've lowered the bar drastically in our own pool, for what constitutes as a "singer".

And for the record, Sza nor Ella Mai can sing. Their voices are weak, supported by lyrics and studio editing.