Xbox Series X will never have exclusives

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
This whole cutting business will infringe upon developer vision. You can only cut so much until you have a emptier version of a game that loses what it set out to do. It's like if they tried to make UC4 TLL on PS3 or FFXV.

Gmi6k8X.gif
AhnAHQ9.gif

iV7LPzj.gif

These games are not just simply "prettier' or smoother versions of last gen games. These games wouldn't have nowhere near the amount of shyt going on in real time last gen. There's a marked difference in animations and detail of multiple enemies that to say this can be scaled back is disingenous. There's literally no games on PS3 that look as good.

If you look at say Uncharted 2's set pieces in comparison to UC4, it was very static. Back then it looked great but now it looks very simple and closed in.

Compared to the shyt going on in UC4 on PS4 it's a mind blowing difference.

aSLRRpC.gif

Compared to the similar train set piece in UC2 it's just jaw dropping. This whole portion of the game wouldn't be possible at all on PS3 unless they rehauled it to something very basic. Even just Drake's animations is much worse.

giphy.gif

Every single game that people used the "scalable" argument with to downplay the negative effects of it were games that suffered so much.

MGSV for example ended up being a very BLAND and empty game for most of the world and forced helicopter rides for every damn mission.

Scale is just a phrase people use with games that don't mean nothing. Fortnite running on mobile is nothing. That game was designed to run on a toaster.

The CPU in the X1X or PS4 compared to the PS5/XsX will be worlds apart. The X1X still had trouble running some games past 30fps and yet you think this new gen will just be minor? This "scaling" word is so empty and just a loose term thrown around so much. With this logic PS2 can run PS4 games just run it at 20~30fps at 144p. People are going to eat their shorts when they see next gen games running. Even with the crappy jaguar cpu in the current gen we got crazy looking titles now imagine this new gen coming with the big leap in CPU/GPU.

The similar nature of the architectures between current and next-gen consoles means that the instruction sets can be shared. Differences wouldnt be as stark. A good amount of the ‘wow’ factor in UC4 compared to UC2 comes from the increase in raw power, but don’t discount the superior camera work, framing and rendering techniques. Also, the massive increase in RAM helps to store a lot of the game action such as the improved animation. We arent getting that type of memory jump again this upcoming gen. So the differences wont be as stark.

The overall difference in system performance between Xbox One and Xbox Series X isnt as big as you think. A lot of that extra power will be used up to render higher framerates (60fps), and higher res (4K).

Anyways, I concede to your point. When games are being developed next-gen only (specifically with SSDs -the biggest jump next-gen- in mind) games experiences wont be able to be ported down to non SSD systems.

But in the context of this thread, that probably won’t be for a couple of years anyways since game devs just got development kits that better represent the final next-gen hardware, it will take a while for their dev environment to mature. So MS is safe with porting to Xbox One for a couple of years.

Lastly, big budget games are so expensive to make these days, it wouldn’t make sense to sell them to a new console which has a small user base. I will be shocked if Sony has a big budget exclusive PS5 game at launch or in the launch window.

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Just to be clear, I’m not defending the Xbox on some fanboy shyt, Im just calling this particular matter as I see it.

I’m never buying an Xbox again. Hypothetically, I wouldnt care if its double the power, I still wouldn’t buy it.

Xbox Game Studios ran Halo into the ground, their exclusives are uninteresting and uninspired trash, my xbox one controller would randomly disconnect during play sessions, my xbox one would randomly turn on by itself, it takes a long time to boot up, Windows in general is trash, Xbox Live is no longer head and shoulders above PSN, you need an XBL subscription to play free to play titles like Apex or Fortnite, and Gamepass is overrated and it devalues games.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
PS4 discs are 50GB dual layer bluray(25GB per side).

PS5 will use 100GB discs.

I know you'll just say "they can download the rest of the data" :mjlol:
360 only played dvds at ~8gb.

Most big games today are ~60gb. Those wouldn’t even fit on a 360 hardrive.

PS4 and X1 can play discs higher than 50gb, and they have much larger hardrives. They won’t be playing 4K textures, so they will be able to handle the size of games at lest for two years into the gen.

what kind of dumb comparison is this? Knack is a 3d platformer :gucci:

I mean why not compare My friend Pedro with COD Ghosts!
Knack is next gen only.
Battlefield is not.

Doesn’t matter the genre. By your logic here Battlefield was held back by the old consoles and knack was free to utilize the full power of PS4.

What happened?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

This will limit the shyt these games can do for Xbox at least until they're fully exclusive since the CPU in the Xbox One and Xb1X are limited as fukk. No matter which way you cut it, games will be held back if they're made with support for older consoles. Graphics will look fine but physics and other tech will have to be scaled down or removed.

The install base isn't high enough to support high profile exclusive games on early consoles. Also the Xbox One and Xbox are going to both be x86 consoles and the games should be able to scale better. It will be like on PC where some features get turned down on lesser graphics cards.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
360 only played dvds at ~8gb.

PS4 and X1 can play discs higher than 50gb, and they have much larger hardrives. They won’t be playing 4K textures, so they will be able to handle the size of games at lest for two years into the gen.

Knack is next gen only.
Battlefield is not.

Doesn’t matter the genre. By your logic here Battlefield was held back by the old consoles and knack was free to utilize the full power of PS4.

What happened?
Breh you gotta realize the stuff you're saying has to be taken with nuance in certain situations. Let's break it down.

Okay but storage space isn't the only factor we're dealing with here. PS4 and Xbox 1(the base consoles) only support Sata II which maxes out at a throughput of 300MB/s. Sata III maxes out at 600MB/s. The PS4/X1 HD uses a 5400RPM drive as it's base drive which on average may hit around ~100 to 120MB/s?

To put this in a nutshell, this is the transfer speeds of older tech i found online:

• Today's retail PCIe gen4 x4 NVME SSDs top at around 5 GB/s.
  • Mass consumer PCIe gen3 NVME SSDs are around 3 GB/s
  • Old SATA3 SSDs are 512 MB/s
  • PS4 - HDD in PS4 [with very slow seek speeds of a laptop drive] is 150 MB/s sequential, 40 MB/s for small files [and can go lower for very small files, PS4 Spider-Man was made to load 20MB/s while Spidey is swinging across the city]

The PS5 solution is said to rival Intel's Optane tech. here's an example
2019-11-2609_23_28-pe9zjiw.jpg

That's 25 GB/s
This is a enormous jump from the PS4/X1.

The knack/BF example you brought up is null again because like I said every game isn't aiming for the same thing. BF4's game design was mainly based around something that can be scaled easily e.g. PS3/360 version less players PC version more players and more effects. It essentially was designed around that since it wasn't nothing too crazy to change and would fit for PS3. A game like Knack is impossible on the PS3 because it was designed around the PS4 GPU and Knack's character breaking into so many pieces is integral to the gameplay. The core mechanics isn't impossible but when you add Knack's hundreds of pieces breaking up in real time as you play then that isn't something that can just be done. Also, it's a launch game so why pretend to think a launch game is going to use 100% of the console's power? This is a silly question man.

In a nutshell,

PS4/Xb1 is Krillin
latest

The pro versions are like
GohanSS2.jpg

PS5/XsX cross gen is like Goku fighting Gohan while he's just regular Super Saiyan. Gohan can catch up but after he's done playing(cross gen), he can let go and power up to fight real enemies.

First year or so is SSG Goku red. After a while devs make use of the hardware better and now you see this nikka is Super Saiyan Blue really.

Then Naughty Dog come out with this shyt and you realize there was more power and now you got Ultra Instinct Goku
latest

This is like rooting for Krillin to power up and fight Goku.

Is that what you really want? You want to see Krillin fighting all the time? :hhh:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The install base isn't high enough to support high profile exclusive games on early consoles. Also the Xbox One and Xbox are going to both be x86 consoles and the games should be able to scale better. It will be like on PC where some features get turned down on lesser graphics cards.
Again, Gohan can become Super Saiyan essentially(though he was a whole bytch in DB Super.)
After a while you can't really scale up to SSG Goku blue.

This is really the best way to look at it. Just use Dragon ball Z. Krillin can't keep up with Goku breh.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Breh you gotta realize the stuff you're saying has to be taken with nuance in certain situations. Let's break it down.

Okay but storage space isn't the only factor we're dealing with here. PS4 and Xbox 1(the base consoles) only support Sata II which maxes out at a throughput of 300MB/s. Sata III maxes out at 600MB/s. The PS4/X1 HD uses a 5400RPM drive as it's base drive which on average may hit around ~100 to 120MB/s?

To put this in a nutshell, this is the transfer speeds of older tech i found online:

• Today's retail PCIe gen4 x4 NVME SSDs top at around 5 GB/s.
  • Mass consumer PCIe gen3 NVME SSDs are around 3 GB/s
  • Old SATA3 SSDs are 512 MB/s
  • PS4 - HDD in PS4 [with very slow seek speeds of a laptop drive] is 150 MB/s sequential, 40 MB/s for small files [and can go lower for very small files, PS4 Spider-Man was made to load 20MB/s while Spidey is swinging across the city]

The PS5 solution is said to rival Intel's Optane tech. here's an example
2019-11-2609_23_28-pe9zjiw.jpg

That's 25 GB/s
This is a enormous jump from the PS4/X1.

The knack/BF example you brought up is null again because like I said every game isn't aiming for the same thing. BF4's game design was mainly based around something that can be scaled easily e.g. PS3/360 version less players PC version more players and more effects. It essentially was designed around that since it wasn't nothing too crazy to change and would fit for PS3. A game like Knack is impossible on the PS3 because it was designed around the PS4 GPU and Knack's character breaking into so many pieces is integral to the gameplay. The core mechanics isn't impossible but when you add Knack's hundreds of pieces breaking up in real time as you play then that isn't something that can just be done. Also, it's a launch game so why pretend to think a launch game is going to use 100% of the console's power? This is a silly question man.
When consoles drop, games aren’t just gonna stop working on standard hard drives. Will be years before ssd speed becomes anywhere near standard.

Knack could easily be fukking made for PS3. fukk is wrong with you:mjlol:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
When consoles drop, games aren’t just gonna stop working on standard hard drives. Will be years before ssd speed becomes anywhere near standard.

Knack could easily be fukking made for PS3. fukk is wrong with you:mjlol:
Nobody said games will stop working on standard drive though..?

Knack could "easy be fukking made for ps3." ?

Okay then prove it. Of course Knack can be made for PS3. It just won't be the same Knack.

I know you'll just say "Sony just wanted to force you to buy a PS4 :mjlol:"

You're boring me Meach. I can literally post for you. You're predictable. :yawn:

x2y

SOHH Stupid
Supporter
Daps
I'm def getting PS5 first. Sony has proven track record. I'll stick to my Xbox one X for another year or two unless some crazy deal pops up. As it's essentially the new Xbox One S of 2020/2021. Xbox is pretty much just a platform going forward their games are on PC, Switch, XBOX, X-cloud tablets and cell phones ain't no reason to drop the cash for one with all that we know unless you're a Xbox loyalist.