Crime continues to drop according to Q4 crime data

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps
And all I said that the article is misleading and should include those important details like the one you or someone else posted a while ago that stated it wasn’t the case in every city instead of making it seem like it’s down everywhere.
The thread is about Q4 which it also dropped in Q4. We realize it's nuance to every issue. I can acknowledge that. Crime is continuing to drop overall. I know that hurts your soul lol.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
The thread is about Q4 which it also dropped in Q4. We realize it's nuance to every issue. I can acknowledge that. Crime is continuing to drop overall. I know that hurts your soul lol.
You just obviously have me mistaken with other MAGA posters on this site as I’m not MAGA nor have ever spoken of it on this site, so take that up with someone who does.

You keep harping that it’s down overall while overlooking that it doesn’t speak to every city and town in the country.

You’re proving my point in what I complained about your article doing without even realizing it.

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps
You just obviously have me mistaken with other MAGA posters on this site as I’m not MAGA nor have ever spoken of it on this site, so take that up with someone who does.

You keep harping that it’s down overall while overlooking that it doesn’t speak to every city and town in the country.

You’re proving my point in what I complained about your article doing without even realizing it.
I've been agreeing with your point the whole time. We know this doesn't mean every single city. :dead:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
It’s considered part of the stat and article you posted is it not? Memphis would say otherwise to that particular stat.

You stay posting these articles that don’t tell the entire story and get defensive when someone pokes holes in it :mjlol:
And all I said that the article is misleading and should include those important details like the one you or someone else posted a while ago that stated it wasn’t the case in every city instead of making it seem like it’s down everywhere.

Finding one city that doesn't follow the national trend doesn't "poke a hole in the story." :snoop:

There are always outliers to every national trend breh, it is completely meaningless to point them out because it's a given there will be outliers due to random variation alone.

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps
Finding one city that doesn't follow the national trend doesn't "poke a hole in the story." :snoop:

There are always outliers to every national trend breh, it is completely meaningless to point them out because it's a given there will be outliers due to random variation alone.
I've literally been saying I agree with him. I don't get it. Am I missing something?

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Mar 21, 2024
News segment covering related story, and featuring the criminologist quoted in the article

He said sustained drops in crime over an extended period will help shape perceptions more in line with the direction that crime is trending.

*One thing that was missing from the news segment, and often ignored in discussions about crime is that people in major cities have crime alert apps, and are aware of reported crime in real time. So they aren't necessarily basing it on local news reporting the most heinous crimes. They know about when, where crime is occurring and being reported in their vicinity. They're actually better informed about public safety reality than in previous eras.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm

It should always be included for transparency purposes. That poster or someone else on here posted a similar article a while ago where the author of the article presented a counter part with cities where crime was actually rising.

If you’re going to use data and statistics as the basis of an argument or narrative then you better be ready for someone to ask in depth questions about it.

That’s how the real world works and even you know that, so don’t try it here.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
It should always be included for transparency purposes.

In a scientific paper, all data points will be mentioned.

In some random story, you think they are obligated to individually report every city in America while doing a story on national crime trends? lol

If you’re going to use data and statistics as the basis of an argument or narrative then you better be ready for someone to ask in depth questions about it.

That’s how the real world works and even you know that, so don’t try it here.

No, random statistical outliers are not an "in depth question" in the real world. Everyone in the real world knows that all data has variance and it's not necessary to individually point out every exception to the rule every time you talk about a general trend.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
In a scientific paper, all data points will be mentioned.

In some random story, you think they are obligated to individually report every city in America while doing a story on national crime trends? lol

No, random statistical outliers are not an "in depth question" in the real world. Everyone in the real world knows that all data has variance and it's not necessary to individually point out every exception to the rule every time you talk about a general trend.
In journalism, full transparency matters right or is that something that’s missing these days. Once again, an article like this was posted a while ago by this exact poster or someone else that gave a counterpoint to the data that they used.

Everyone in the real world doesn’t know that data has variances as you’re assuming that everyone is able to interpret and understand what’s in front of them. That’s literally why people ask questions about it and you be prepared for any question that you get.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
In journalism, full transparency matters right or is that something that’s missing these days. Once again, an article like this was posted a while ago by this exact poster or someone else that gave a counterpoint to the data that they used.

Everyone in the real world doesn’t know that data has variances as you’re assuming that everyone is able to interpret and understand what’s in front of them. That’s literally why people ask questions about it and you be prepared for any question that you get.

That's not "full transparency", it's time-wasting.

And no, I'm not assuming that everyone can interpret and understand everything, pretty much the opposite. If you filled every article with listing outliers to every general trend you mentioned, it would end up so cluttered with pointless anecdotes that it would just confuse the average reader and they'd have no idea how to interpret it.

"Nationally, homicide is down 15% this year.....but it's up 20% in Memphis."

To an educated person, the second half of that statement adds absolutely nothing to the first half, it's pointless unless you specifically care about Memphis for some reason. But to an uneducated person, the two halves of the statement basically cancel each other out. They don't realize that the Memphis #'s are already factored into the national #'s, and the national stats have SO much more data involved than the Memphis stats that they drown it out for any meaningful analysis. Instead, to their ears it basically just becomes, "Well, it's up some places and down some places", and thus they've understood nothing.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
That's not "full transparency", it's time-wasting.

And no, I'm not assuming that everyone can interpret and understand everything, pretty much the opposite. If you filled every article with listing outliers to every general trend you mentioned, it would end up so cluttered with pointless anecdotes that it would just confuse the average reader and they'd have no idea how to interpret it.

"Nationally, homicide is down 15% this year.....but it's up 20% in Memphis."

To an educated person, the second half of that statement adds absolutely nothing to the first half, it's pointless unless you specifically care about Memphis for some reason. But to an uneducated person, the two halves of the statement basically cancel each other out. They don't realize that the Memphis #'s are already factored into the national #'s, and the national stats have SO much more data involved than the Memphis stats that they drown it out for any meaningful analysis. Instead, to their ears it basically just becomes, "Well, it's up some places and down some places", and thus they've understood nothing.
To you it’s time-wasting, but others would say otherwise. You’re proving my point without even realizing it.