Gen Z Can’t Afford the Rent

Hitchens

Pro
Daps

"Gen Z-ers have been elected to Congress. They have upset big dairy. They refuse to believe that it's too late to curb the effects of climate change with the refrain, "OK Doomer," a play on "OK Boomer."

But there's something that many Gen Z-ers feel is not within their realm of possibility: owning a home.

The rule of thumb that one's cost of housing shouldn't exceed 30 percent of their monthly income is becoming less realistic for many in Gen Z, typically defined as people born between the late 1990s and early 2010s. Homeownership feels unattainable — more than a third of Gen Z respondents in one survey said it's something they think they'll never be able to achieve. According to the National Association of Realtors, last year, the typical first-time homeowner was 36 years old, a record high. Renting hasn't been an easy alternative either, with those in search of apartments facingbidding wars and high rent costs.

About one third of the generation's adults live with their parentsand plan on staying with them as a long-term housing solution. Others are sleeping in living rooms, rushing moving in with their partners and migrating out of big cities.

The New York Times asked Gen Z-ers to share their stories and estimate how much of their monthly income they typically spend on rent. Here's what young people from coast to coast are saying about how they manage to keep a roof over their heads."

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Sad part is there are plenty of homes. Most people just drive by abandoned or dilapidated homes that could be fixed up. The government could pay to fix up and sell them.

Just like with most things, everyone is just chasing the newest build homes just because, even though a lot of them are crappy built subdivisions

Oatmeal

6th Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DNA-LEVEL-C
I'm at the first time homeowner age and the goalposts keep moving, I've been to about 17 open houses now in the past 9 months and still can't find anything worth paying for. Like @Iceson Beckford said it's all messed up, and I'm in a LCOL area but everything is priced crazy. Houses used to be $60k for a starter and $150k with a 3% rate would be turnkey. Now a starter is about $165k, good school system and low crime gonna cost you $280k with a 7.5% rate:picard:

Average median income is $34k....:mjcry:

Bless't

Living the dream
Daps
Reppin
NULL
wink-i-see-you.gif

Mr. Jack Napier

#MambaForever
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
Gen Z has to be one of the most laziest, sensitive group of people out there.

These cats just do whatever they feel like it with no accountability and then want to blame the order generations for their failures.

Those dikkheads really thought quitting their jobs after Covid was a good idea & that they would be able to maintain their high spending lifestyles :dead:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm at the first time homeowner age and the goalposts keep moving, I've been to about 17 open houses now in the past 9 months and still can't find anything worth paying for. Like @Iceson Beckford said it's all messed up, and I'm in a LCOL area but everything is priced crazy. Houses used to be $60k for a starter and $150k with a 3% rate would be turnkey. Now a starter is about $165k, good school system and low crime gonna cost you $280k with a 7.5% rate:picard:

Average median income is $34k....:mjcry:

I wish for those types of prices. Anything decent round me going for a half a mil. Respectable gonna run you 6. :gucci: