Only 4% of Americans owned a passport in 1990

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
:gucci:Did nikkas just never left their hometowns or what???

Not even Mexico or Canada???

Yeah international travel laws were probably a bit looser back then but it been a requirement to have a passport when leaving the US since 1941

It just doesn't compute
I went to Canada in thre 90s with no passport.

My parents went to the islands regular with no passport. (70s)

You're confused bc you're missing a lot of information.

Kinguno

The Immortal
Daps
Reppin
New York
Some of those islands were probably controlled by the US or a country very friend with the US like PR

• Dap
Reactions: TEH

Prolific

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just recently got my passport a few months ago. I have fam that never left the U.S. and never will. When you’re living check to check, leisure travel and vacations to another country is not in the equation.

If wasn’t for me being in the military, I would probably be in the same boat; economically stuck to wherever the fukk I was at.

Noriega

Simps R Us
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside,Chicago
Y'all need to stop with the bougie shyt. Sometimes life just gets you and you going through motions. It still happens with a lot of people today. Too busy working trying to pay bills, having unwed kids, child support. All those things take priority
Right? I been out the country once when I was 10 to visit family in Panama. Was talking to a shorty that been to 22 different counties, grad student don’t work.

She was trying to passport shame me, told her “Sorry I don’t have rich parents”:yeshrug:

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:gucci:Did nikkas just never left their hometowns or what???

Not even Mexico or Canada???

Yeah international travel laws were probably a bit looser back then but it been a requirement to have a passport when leaving the US since 1941

It just doesn't compute
Majority of Americans in 2021 don't have a passport. The odd thing is although Americans don't travel they have opinions on other countries and places that they've never been to, very odd

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Expensive as fukk.. Wasn't a lot of competition.. Wasn't any low price websites for any of it, cause there was no internet. So you couldn't even go online and SEE a pic of brazil. You literally had to go to a library or some shyt to read about why you'd want to spend $5000 to go
This simply isn't true,

Also odd how Jamaicans and other poor countries found a way to travel all over the globe yet rich America, the citizens of rich America couldn't

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
What I meant by social media

This simply isn't true,

Also odd how Jamaicans and other poor countries found a way to travel all over the globe yet rich America, the citizens of rich America couldn't
Both of y’all missing the point here. I was in London at 3. Yes people traveled. Yes the world traveled. Americans obviously didn’t travel too far cause only 4% had passports.

When I said the internet, that’s because of ALL of it. Long before social media, people had Expedia and Travelocity and all that. Before Facebook, you had airlines with all prices listed on every flight in the world, on a website. Do you know how fukking hard it was to find that info in 1990? Either you called every airline personally or hired an agent. Wasn’t no $39 flight to Miami. Wasn’t a $39 flight anywhere. You know how we can search for hotels in a 50mile radius and see inside and they all have to compete with each other right in your living room? Yea. 90s didn’t have that.

Not only the cheap Spirit flights, and $100 Airbnb’s, but the visuals. You can see Brazil, France, Italy. You don’t need a brochure. You don’t need a friend who been to tell you. I can go on YouTube and search any and every part of at city in the world. Get tips how to do it and where to stay. Book it myself. And even hit Groupon for a discount.

Nah everything I said was facts.