There are NO Iconic Singers in this Era.

Hathaway

Someday, We'll All Be Free
Daps
Reppin
The Abyss
I know this is random but that thread about the current state of Hip Hop really got me dissecting the current state of R&B. I was just thinking about how through each decade, the 60s, 70s, 80s and even the 90s and early 00s, we had legendary and iconic voices. One of a kind vocal ability.

Think about the 1960s. Think about all of the iconic voices we had in black music and R&B during that time. David Ruffin, Smokey Robinson, a young Michael Jackson, Diana Ross, Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, James Brown, Sam Cooke, Otis Redding.

The 70s was a fukking bloodbath. The greatest decade of black voices in history and it will never be close. Barry White, Donny Hathaway, Stevie Wonder, Gladys Knight, Patti Labelle, Peabo Bryson, Earth Wind & Fire, Marvin Gaye, Teddy Pendergrass, Ojays. fukking INSANE. And I omitted ALOT of people. Curtis Mayfield, Isaac Hayes, Isley Bros, Al Green, Spinners, Emotions, LTD, Frankie Beverly!
GOT DAMN IT. SHYT MAKING MY dikk HARD:ohlawd::dame::ohlawd:

I could go on and on with this shyt. The 70s were CRAZY. I can't imagine being bombarded with such soul moving music every hour of every day back then. Shyt was unbelievable.

The 80s: Adult MJ, Whitney, Luther, Prince, Chaka Khan, Donna Summers, Anita Baker, Stephanie Mills, Janet.

The 90s legendary voices: R. Kelly, Boyz II Men, Brandy, Mariah, En Vogue, Erykah Badu, Babyface, Mary J, Lauryn Hill, Brian McKnight, Gerald LeVert.

00s - D'Angelo, Jill Scott, India Ari, Musiq Soulchild, Usher, Beyonce, Aaliyah, Justin Timberlake, Robin Thicke, Jamie Foxx, Jazmine Sullivan

Current Era: HER, I guess Chris Brown? Ariana Grande? Does she even have an R&B song?

I may be missing a few icons here and there but I was coming straight off top. Notice the disparity in vocal talent the closer we get to the current era. Each decade had MULTIPLE all time voices. Voices where if you hear them on a radio, you'd immediately know who it was. Legendary voices and ability. Undeniable talent.

It's discouraging seeing that this current era (2020-Present) has not delivered one voice that would go down among the greats.

I rate myself a solid 7 on a vocal ability scale and I know if you were to put me up against any of these new nikkas (Giveon, Bryson Tiller, Weeknd, Khalid, Daniel Ceasar, Brent Faiyaz) in a straight raw singing comp, no autotune, no microphone. I'm bodying every single one. Only nikka I respect is Lucky Daye. He got skills.

This shyt breaks my heart that we don't have any iconic voices in this generation.

The Burger King

Fast Food Gangsta
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
East Whopper City
I wouldn’t say there’s none.

You mentioned The Weeknd but I think he’s pretty talented and iconic. Same with Chris Brown.

Not a big fan of Drake or Rihanna but they’re definitely iconic.

Bruno Mars is also very talented.

I think my generation just has less, because everyone is lazy and does the same shyt.

Ty Daniels

All Star
Daps
Everybody doing that DUMB AZZ "Trap Singing".

Shyt is TRASH.

Singers use to grow up in the Church singing, now they don't.

Also "Love" is off the table, seems like no one cares about that anymore (especially the younger generations).

Hathaway

Someday, We'll All Be Free
Daps
Reppin
The Abyss
I wouldn’t say there’s none.

You mentioned The Weeknd but I think he’s pretty talented and iconic. Same with Chris Brown.

Not a big fan of Drake or Rihanna but they’re definitely iconic.

Bruno Mars is also very talented.

I think my generation just has less, because everyone is lazy and does the same shyt.
My bad, I completely forgot Bruno but he doesn't count for this generation. Mans is closer to 40 years old. He's considered a 2010s singer to me. Same with Rihanna amd Chris Brown. They're not current generation. Drake isn't a singer. :camby:

MasterThought

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Anderson Paak & Ari Lennox are "iconic" like in my opinion meaning they could easily be 1960's singers. Their voices are amazing to me. They would fit right in with icons of the past.

The only thing about those 2 is that they are a product of modern-day ratchetness meaning their music unfortunately has lots of vulgarity and profanity making it hard for me to listen to.

I'm at a point where I prefer my music profanity free and it's a darn shame that those 2 have so much cursing in their music.