There are NO Iconic Singers in this Era.

Hathaway

Someday, We'll All Be Free
Daps
Reppin
The Abyss
adele

d'angelo

:ufdup:

I mentioned D'Angelo in the OP. I do not consider Adele as an iconic voice but I understand those who do put her in that category. That just shows how far the bar has fallen.
The Weeknd, Adele, Anderson Paak and Bruno Mars would all disagree with that.
I can't believe nikkas really in here caping for Weeknd. This mf cannot sing to me. Could you honestly sit in an arena and have him on stage with no music, no effects, just a mic and have him sing and be moved by his voice alone? Think about that. His voice is not iconic to me.

Anderson is a dope artist but I do not consider him a real singer. I think his work with Bruno as Silk Sonic really fooled alot of people. Bruno was the voice of that duo. Andy can sing, don't get me wrong but he isnt a "singer".

Travellin' Man

Veteran
Daps
Queen Rhianna:noah::noah:

GettyImages-1246958312-H-2023.jpg

@Realm-Breaker

another one of my forehead queens!!!! :ohlawd:

Amo Husserl

All Star
Daps
Excuse me :gucci:
There aren't any iconic singers because the culture that produced them has been hollowed out. No churches in the community with choir directors. No music programs in the school, strong ones. It's easier to make music on a laptop and sampler with a pitch control knob knowing five chords now.

Once skill was taken out of the music, the barrier to entry was lowered; once record labels wanted the dumbed down product, the barrier to entry was lowered; once we let a hot single from a mediocre artist get through, the barrier to entry was lowered; once we stopped playing instruments, the barrier to entry was lowered; once it became okay to copy our style, the barrier to entry was lowered; once we stopped caring about the craft of our artistry as a facet of our culture, the barrier to entry was lowered.

And because the simplified product is a penny stock, artists get pumped and dumped now more than ever unless the artist is needed to keep America on top of the culture wars. Kendrick might be the last great rapper as far as hip-hop is concerned. Beyonce might be the last great singer as far as R&B is concerned.

From 2000 to 2023, you have seen the decline in quality. Who is chiefly responsible for the quality of a product going out into the market when it comes to music @Hathaway ?

51pBlnh2sbL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

1200px-Louis_Armstrong_Poster_Beirut_1959.jpg

cigar-smoking.gif

You are excused.

Postscript-
Oh, and the 1970s you talkin' about? A word from the author:

Now, I'mma get back to my homework.

Last edited: