Which New York neighborhood was SAFE during the crack era?

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps

Found this pretty interesting. Apparently, Awkwafina's neighborhood, Forest Hills was safe during the time and white hipsters were already hanging out in the Lower East Side during the mid 80s

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Pass the torch to that N guy

A-669109-1554062595-8926.jpeg.jpg

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.

Found this pretty interesting. Apparently, Awkwafina's neighborhood, Forest Hills was safe during the time and white hipsters were already hanging out in the Lower East Side during the mid 80s

My neighborhood in Brooklyn was always safe. In my entire life living here which is 27 years only 4 murders 2 rapes and 1 self defense killing by an Asian dude I went to junior high school with

UncleTomFord15

Veteran
Daps
Even white neighborhoods like Bensonhurst, Williamsburg, Gravesend, Brighton Beach, Staten Island (borough but still), Sheepshead Bay had alot of Italian mafia/ Russian Mafia activity. Even they were getting like 5-15 murders a year in those days 70-90s. Which isn't much compared to Brownsville, Bushwick, East New York numbers back then because they were putting up like 60 plus murders a year back then, with East New York getting like 120 sometime in the early 90s. But you have to keep in mind modern Brownsville/ East New York only has like 20-25 murders a year nowadays. I actually seen the stats for Chinatown in like 1990 before, if you put 1990 Chinatown in 2021, it would statistically be one of the worst neighborhoods in NYC today (or about on the same level as NYC worst hoods today).

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
i'm in my mid 40's, grew up with a trap house next door in the Bronx.
12th floor apt, they didn't have mad foot traffic, they were probably
moving weight. it was in a co-op so it was a well
maintained area, basically the whole block was four
buildings all part of the same co-op. there were private
security dudes that had an office in one of the buildings
and would walk around. across the street though...
projects galore.

when i say there was not a day i set foot outside and see
crack vials everywhere...it was ridiculous thinking about it
now but that's just how it was. i really didn't know anything
different.

back to the trap house next door; my folks would put their
ears up to the wall in my room to listen when they heard
yelling next door. this wasn't uncommon. one easter sunday,
my mom, siblings and i are going to service at church.
leaving our apt, there are cops in the hallway and in our
neighbor's apt. exiting the lobby on our way to
church, police everywhere. look over to the right and on the
ground below our neighbor's 12th story balcony is a body, covered
with a blood soaked white blanket. the blood was never washed
off the pavement. it just turned into a dark stain that eventually
faded away with time. i would go look at it when i walked my dog.

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Anywhere there is high property values and high income zip codes in NYC.. this isn’t hard
"The family......that lives across town, would catch hell if the ghetto wasn't around"

Vice and crime is funneled into poor areas. Even as a kid, I knew that dudes out there clocking were willing pawns. fukking up their neighborhoods, as white kids from the suburbs came in to cop drugs.

Last edited:

Phitz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My neighborhood in Brooklyn was always safe. In my entire life living here which is 27 years only 4 murders 2 rapes and 1 self defense killing by an Asian dude I went to junior high school with

Base don the numbers you were born in 96/97. The title says 80s. Another breh had a thread on here saying late 80s/early 90s was the worst. Based on the crime history, you missed the worst of it.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
Base don the numbers you were born in 96/97. The title says 80s. Another breh had a thread on here saying late 80s/early 90s was the worst. Based on the crime history, you missed the worst of it.

I was born in 1990.

1990 was the middle of the crack era. Well at least is NYC it didn’t end till 1995.

My first four years of life I lived in Flatbush the nice side where the Victorian houses were and my mom told me walking through Brooklyn college campus was not safe back then.

Jesus Is Lord

Give Thanks, Repent, and Forgive
Daps
Reppin
Christ
A lot of white areas had the mob present so even tho they were overall ok a good amount of gruesome mafia killings took place
But they were safe for all non-mob members in comparison to other neighborhoods, hence the word, “safest”, in the OP. Also, crack wasn’t a problem in their neighborhoods that’s why they had very low crime rates.

Jesus Is Lord

Give Thanks, Repent, and Forgive
Daps
Reppin
Christ
I was born in 1990.

1990 was the middle of the crack era. Well at least is NYC it didn’t end till 1995.

My first four years of life I lived in Flatbush the nice side where the Victorian houses were and my mom told me walking through Brooklyn college campus was not safe back then.
If you lived in Flatbush then your neighborhood was not safe. Your block or the vicinity of your block was probably safe. I know the houses you’re taking about, and Flatbush was your neighborhood, and as a whole wasn’t safe. I think you’re mixing up blocks with neighborhood. Even in the worst neighborhoods there were clean and crime free blocks.