$15.00 an hour isn't a lot of money.

J.E.T.S

Lookahere mayne...
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta/Memphis
:mjlol: It wasn't straightforward. The numbers you presented to me laid out an impossible living situation. If any unforeseen expense came up you were fukked, or going to have to max out a credit card. I have to assume you received some form of assistance from family or friends to supplement during the rough times. There's nothing wrong with that. The issue is that you laid out a false narrative; that you were able to live comfortably on the income you brought in relative to your expenses. And some of that income (overtime/performance bonuses) was subject to change at anytime. You all don't have to lie to prove points.

How you gonna tell me and I lived the shyt? :dahell:

I was fine.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
MIDDLE CLASS IS BROKEN UP. THE MIDDLE CLASS YOU GUYS ARE TALKING IS ABOUT 50K+. 30K CAR WITH 150K+ HOUSE IS NOT 15/HR. INTRO MIDDLE CLASS IS YOUR FIRST JOB OUT OF COLLEGE AND YOU MAKE 15-20 BUCKS AN HOUR UNLESS YOU'RE AN ENGINEER/DOCTOR/IT PROFESSIONAL OR SOMETHING. MOST PEOPLE MAKE ABOUT 15-20 BUCKS AN HOUR OUT OF COLLEGE.

I MAKE ABOUT 33ISH A YEAR NOW. I HAVE 2 CARS, A MOTORCYCLE, 5K IN THE BANK, AND LOOKING TO BUY A HOUSE. NOBODY LOOKS AT ME AND SAYS I'M POOR. ANYBODY WHO KNOWS ME KNOWS I'M CHEAP AS fukk BUT I AIN'T POOR. I EVEN GET 1-2 VACATIONS A YEAR AS WORK ALLOWS.

yep variables to everything
a breh making 60k a year married wife is stay at home with 2 kids and a big mortgage is worse off than a breh making 30k a year only providing for himself

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
And for those who believe ~$30k/yr. = poor, I'd advise you to look through the following link.....

Poverty Guidelines

The above is from the US Department of Human Services who I've dealt with for almost 20 years now.

$30,000/yr. is poor.........FOR A FAMILY OF 5 - 6 PEOPLE!!!!!

:snooze:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Which Income Class Are You?

The Urban Institute defined the middle class as adults with size-adjusted household incomes of between $30,000 and $100,000 for families of three.

2 MEMBERS OF A HOUSEHOLD MAKING 15/HR IS SMACK DAB IN THE MIDDLE OF MIDDLE CLASS. JUST BECAUSE YOU DON'T LIKE THE HOUSE THAT YOU CAN AFFORD AT 30K A YEAR DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT.

SAVINGS AND ALL THAT IS A LUXURY THAT DOES NOT DEFINE LOWER MIDDLE CLASS. LOWER MIDDLE CLASS IS NOT LUXURIOUS BY ANY MEANS. IT MEANS YOU MAKE ENOUGH TO PROVIDE FOR YOUR NECESSITIES WITH NO OUTSIDE HELP. YOU WILL BE IN A 1-2 BED 1 BATH HOME WITH A FOCUS/FIESTA AS A CAR.

3915 Harlow Ave, Allen Park, MI 48101 | MLS #217103791 | Zillow 50K HOUSE FOR SALE IN A DECENT NEIGHBORHOOD OUTSIDE OF DETROIT
A BRAND NEW FIESTA WILL RUN YOU 13K. YOU CAN GET A RELATIVELY NEW MODEL FOR 9K.

50K HOUSE = 382/MONTH ON A 15 YEAR, 4% INTEREST RATE
9K FIESTA = 197/ MONTH ON A 48MONTH, 5% INTEREST RATE

damn 50k cant get you nothing here :to:

Daps
And for those who believe ~$30k/yr. = poor, I'd advise you to look through the following link.....

Poverty Guidelines

The above is from the US Department of Human Services who I've dealt with for almost 20 years now.

Stop letting these articles tell you what's poor and what's not. They want us to think you're not poor and middle class doing okay for yourself making that amount, but from personal experience it's poor.

street heat

merchant of death
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Stop letting these articles tell you what's poor and what's not. They want us to think you're not poor and middle class doing okay for yourself making that amount, but from personal experience it's poor.

so we should you tell everyone whats poor and whats not instead of people who actually research and gather data ? hmm ok

thecoli.com

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
Beyoncé knowles-Carter said:

I don't much care for someone telling me what they think is poor. I've had to actually interact with a large variety of individuals and families throughout my state and can evaluate what is 'poor' and what isn't purely on how those people lived, not by how much money they made. To qualify for my services, people had to submit income records so I knew down to the penny what they earned.

Your 'personal experience' notwithstanding, ~$30,000/yr. for ONE person is nowhere near poor. If a single person can't 'live', not 'survive', on that amount of money then there's something considerably wrong with their priorities, not their wages.​

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
nikkas can't even afford doctor's visits without having to save from two checks but saying they were living good because of outdated government data. You all let white men with millions and billions of dollars fund studies that tell you that living off of 30k in pre tax income is okay. And you all accept it.

J.E.T.S

Lookahere mayne...
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta/Memphis
I don't much care for someone telling me what they think is poor. I've had to actually interact with a large variety of individuals and families throughout my state and can evaluate what is 'poor' and what isn't purely on how those people lived, not by how much money they made. To qualify for my services, people had to submit income records so I knew down to the penny what they earned.

Your 'personal experience' notwithstanding, ~$30,000/yr. for ONE person is nowhere near poor. If a single person can't 'live', not 'survive', on that amount of money then there's something considerably wrong with their priorities, not their wages.

Thank you.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN

Poverty Guidelines

I've made this point repeatedly in here; 31K for a single dude in his early 20's is lovely.

but everybody's situations is different...31K and you have child support payments or some other bizarre expense for your age, it won't cut it.

Something is seriously wrong with y'all nikkas.

I was living good near the city too

there's a bunch of weirdos on this site man.

i thought it was common knowledge that 30k - 40K was the standard for middle class entry level salaries, that's been the rule since I've been alive - even in 2007 :pachaha:

the average american adult made 44K a year in 2016...but let the coli tell it, making less than 50K in 2017 is crazy talk. may as well kill yourself :jbhmm:

How Much Is the Average Salary for US Workers?

J.E.T.S

Lookahere mayne...
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta/Memphis
nikkas can't even afford doctor's visits without having to save from two checks but saying they were living good because of outdated government data. You all let white men with millions and billions of dollars fund studies that tell you that living off of 30k in pre tax income is okay. And you all accept it.

I'm about to start calling you out your name and using profanity breh.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
$30k a year might not be poor, but it's definitely not middle class. Maybe lower middle class in some areas of the country still though. I'd consider working class in most places, cali and NY not withstanding.

knickscity

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Bed-Stuy
$15/hr is good money. WTF are you talking about??????

40 x 15 = $600/wk (before taxes)

600 x 52 = $31,200 (before taxes)

Avg. apartment rent = $800.mo x 12 = $9600/yr.

$31,200 - 9,600 = $21,600 (before taxes)

Avg. car payment + insurance = $400/mo. x 12 = $4800/yr.

$21,600 - 4,800 = $16,800

I'd add more things to this, but you get the general idea. At the end of each year, you'd be clearing in the neighborhood of $10,000 if you stuck to a budget.

If you're SINGLE, and making this much, then you have nothing to complain about unless you're trying to live above your means.​
You've got to be kidding.....

I'm being generous with this, but a single person making $15 dollars after taxes would bring home roughly 540 a week, not including deduction for insurance or if they have 401k, which likely brings your check down to 500 a week.

Based on your example your 800 dollar rent takes nearly two checks to pay off, add your light gas and water and that definitely equals two full checks.

Car note and insurance ( assuming this is an older car & full coverage) + 20 bucks a week for gas, which isn't likely filling up your car each week. is 480, so you have 20 bucks left out of your third check.

Do you eat? I'd say that is probably 250-300 a month if you don't eat out ever.

That's not including a phone bill, or cable.

No way you bank 10K