Ant-Man on MJ comparisons: “I can shoot the 3”

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC
Why do you need to not take a loss in the Finals to be better than Jordan? It's better to lose in the Finals than it is to lose earlier.

I'm looking at it solely from a "how do you convince the pro-Jordan camp to see it differently" standpoint. But I realize they will never see it differently.

I could sit here and say that it's more impressive for LeBron to go to 10 Finals (eight in a row), and it is, but people will just say "He lost more than he won" or "I'd rather go 6-0 as opposed to 4-6"

I'm more than open to Jordan not being the GOAT. I personally just haven't conjured up the right argument to step forward with it.

broller

Veteran
Daps
I'm looking at it solely from a "how do you convince the pro-Jordan camp to see it differently" standpoint. But I realize they will never see it differently.

I could sit here and say that it's more impressive for LeBron to go to 10 Finals (eight in a row), and it is, but people will just say "He lost more than he won" or "I'd rather go 6-0 as opposed to 4-6"

I'm more than open to Jordan not being the GOAT. I personally just haven't conjured up the right argument to step forward with it.

Good points.

Daps
The NBA is so desperate for an American born star now that Lebron, KD and Steph are old as fukk.

Anthony Edwards has never averaged above 25ppg in any season in the most watered down era in NBA history and they're comparing him to Jordan?

Like in order to even have a conversation, you have to be at least the best player in the NBA.

The kid's playing style is nothing like Jordan's as well. Besides, Jordan had like 4 different versions of himself. People just act like MJ played the exact same way throughout his career.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

Jordan played like 15 seasons and 2 on them was damn near charity work in Washington. Lebron is going on season 22 so almost at 7 more years. You're talking about going to the finals 40% of your seasons vs 45%. Not really that impressive a difference. It's more impressive that Jordan never lost in the finals.

s@n

All Star
Daps
If you lived in Chicagoland in the 80/90's it was pretty clear Jordan hit plenty of 3's

Daps
The NBA is so desperate for an American born star now that Lebron, KD and Steph are old as fukk.

Anthony Edwards has never averaged above 25ppg in any season in the most watered down era in NBA history and they're comparing him to Jordan?

Like in order to even have a conversation, you have to be at least the best player in the NBA.

The kid's playing style is nothing like Jordan's as well. Besides, Jordan had like 4 different versions of himself. People just act like MJ played the exact same way throughout his career.
This!

1987 MJ wasn't the same as 1991 MJ who wasn't the same as 1996 MJ.

Ant is a nice player but to invite comparisons....you gotta be Luka on offense (ppg) but have All-NBA defensive ability. Basically a higher scoring, healthy version of Kawhi at his peak or peak Bron.

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC
Jordan played like 15 seasons and 2 on them was damn near charity work in Washington. Lebron is going on season 22 so almost at 7 more years. You're talking about going to the finals 40% of your seasons vs 45%. Not really that impressive a difference. It's more impressive that Jordan never lost in the finals.

See what I mean, @broller?

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles

Facts.

Not to mention the truth is, against these last teams, KAT is a highly critical piece for them. If he plays good, they win, if he plays terrible they don't got a chance. They need him to play to at least around 23/8/4 consistently.

Last edited:

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
How many times did Mike get eliminated early:sas2:

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's true

Jordan wasn't good at shooting threes :manny:

Can't compare 3pt shooting today to the 80s-90s.

I looked at the Bulls vs Lakers Finals stats and game 2 both teams combined shot 17 attempts. The Bulls only took 5. Jordan attempted 4 for the entire Finals which was 5 games.

For the entire series The Bulls as a team only attempted 21 3's.

Knicks/Pacers attempted 58 3's last night. Tyrese Haliburton attempted 16 by himself.

No one was really shooting 3's back in the day. Paxson was the spot up shooter and even with MJ drawing double/triple teams and averaging 11 assists he had multiple games with 0 attempted 3's. Those days it was inside and mid range. Pulling up from 30 would've had you on the bench.

I pulled up Reggie Miller's playoff stats and he was only averaging about 4 attempts a game. It wasn't until the late 90's did the attempts start to increase.

It's pointless to look at 3pt % back then and use it to knock players when you can do the reverse and say today's players aren't as skilled mid range or in the post. It's just a totally different game.

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
Can't compare 3pt shooting today to the 80s-90s.

I looked at the Bulls vs Lakers Finals stats and game 2 both teams combined shot 17 attempts. The Bulls only took 5. Jordan attempted 4 for the entire Finals which was 5 games.

For the entire series The Bulls as a team only attempted 21 3's.

Knicks/Pacers attempted 58 3's last night. Tyrese Haliburton attempted 16 by himself.

No one was really shooting 3's back in the day. Paxson was the spot up shooter and even with MJ drawing double/triple teams and averaging 11 assists he had multiple games with 0 attempted 3's. Those days it was inside and mid range. Pulling up from 30 would've had you on the bench.

I pulled up Reggie Miller's playoff stats and he was only averaging about 4 attempts a game. It wasn't until the late 90's did the attempts start to increase.

It's pointless to look at 3pt % back then and use it to knock players when you can do the reverse and say today's players aren't as skilled mid range or in the post. It's just a totally different game.
Nah bird and Miller shot better % from 3 in Jordan's own era

Jordan has that SGA/Derozan thing going on

Daps
Why do you need to not take a loss in the Finals to be better than Jordan? It's better to lose in the Finals than it is to lose earlier.

...And it's better to WIN the finals than lose dumbass. :russ: Bron stanleys are so desperate to spin losing (mostly in humiliating, lopsided fashion) as somehow being equal to winning the championship with undisputed FMVP on top. What GOAT in a sport reached that status LOSING championships??? Like seriously, look across EVERY professional sport and show me all the "best player of all time" candidates for each who's greatest career accomplishment is LOSING championships or title matches/games. I'll wait... just like anyone with a brain is waiting for someone to present an actual argument for someone over Jordan.:umad::unimpressed:

On the actual topic of the thread before bitter Bron stans derailed it like every other thread on here :comeon: Cantman doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Jordan. Infinitely worse on both ends of the court, playstyles aren't even really similar if you've ever actually WATCHED either play (of course 99% of ppl parroting this take HAVEN'T), there's no comparison. As evidenced by the man himself saying "Please stop doing it" publicly. :camby: