ChatGPT Brings Down Online Education Stocks. Chegg Loses 95%. Students Don’t Need It Anymore

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
why do you say that if they can learn any which way they want?
Because it can literally give you answers to circumvent needing to learn. Why bother writing an essay where my grammar is challenged when I can have GPT spit one out in seconds?

When chatgpt first came out it was immediately used en masse for cheating on schools. That's a net negative for learning

Daps
every generation that has come in the future has been smarter.
They'll be smart in terms of using technology but dumb in terms of problem solving.

Got a couple of close friends as teachers and they've noticed the kids getting dumber over the last 10 years. If you don't spoonfeed them answers, they get frustrated and just blank-out.

Kids still have the same capacity to learn but having smartphones, video games, computers.....excessive screen time since they were toddlers....they cannot sit down and read a book or work through problems. Basically anything that isn't providing constant stimulation and feedback will be ignored.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Extremely wack. Those answers on Chegg (especially for Math) were far better for students when it came to things like Math. ChatGPT can't do that yet.

You can find answers to your Grad courses in Chegg. You absolutely can't do that in ChatGPT without the risk of it giving you a bogus answer.

There's a HUGE difference in quality that I've put to the test already. ChatGPT is dumb af at the minute.

The Pledge

THE PRICE OF THE BRICK GOING UP!
Daps
Those Indians are completely wrecked over there on Chegg.

I hope they saved those rupees.

The Pledge

Daps
Those answers on Chegg (especially for Math) were far better for students when it came to things like Math. ChatGPT can't do that yet.
Bullshyt

4o shyts on Chegg for math.

You can take a picture of the problem and the shyt will solve it. :blessed:

The Pledge

Daps
They'll be smart in terms of using technology but dumb in terms of problem solving.

This has and always will be the case. I’m sure your job has the same people, few who really know how the problem solve. The bulk just know how to press buttons, and the others who are just there for a paycheck.

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
Whomever had that Chegg stock should’ve saw the vision and sold that shyt early when chat gpt was first announced and its possibilities disrupting the education sector

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Bullshyt

4o shyts on Chegg for math.

You can take a picture of the problem and the shyt will solve it. :blessed:
Nope. It's wack breh.

This is a BASIC "Find the Equivalent Resistance" Circuits question I asked ChatGPT to solve a few minutes ago, 4o model.
equivalent_resistance.jpg

Answer it gave: 9.43 Ohms.

Correct answer: 6 Ohms.

It also tried to reason it all out. So it did all that to have the wrong answer.

Absolutely unreliable nonsense.

Literally Basic circuits shyt. Something someone learns week 2 in their first Circuits course:

Off by more than a factor of 1/3. It could literally kill somebody.
You want circuits made by this thing all in airplanes, in your cars' brake systems, in the hospitals, controlling your elevators, etc.?

An expert on Chegg most likely has the right answer.

I'm graduating with an Electrical Engineering degree soon. Looks like that job is safe from A.I for the time being.
Main thing killing it is the usual dinosaur bullshyt mentality and the outsourcing unfortunately.

Edit: Asked the same question again, it's now telling me the answer is 20 Ohms. This thing is dumb and really has no clue.

Last edited:

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
Nope. It's wack breh.

This is a BASIC "Find the Equivalent Resistance" Circuits question I asked ChatGPT to solve a few minutes ago, 4o model.
equivalent_resistance.jpg

Answer it gave: 9.43 Ohms.

Correct answer: 6 Ohms.

It also tried to reason it all out. So it did all that to have the wrong answer.

Absolutely unreliable nonsense.

Literally Basic circuits shyt. Something someone learns week 2 in their first Circuits course:

Off by more than a factor of 1/3. It could literally kill somebody.
You want circuits made by this thing all in airplanes, in your cars' brake systems, in the hospitals, controlling your elevators, etc.?

An expert on Chegg most likely has the right answer.

I'm graduating with an Electrical Engineering degree soon. Looks like that job is safe from A.I for the time being.
Main thing killing it is the usual dinosaur bullshyt mentality and the outsourcing unfortunately.

Also an engineer and musician, two fields that ChatPT struggles with, it spits out a lot of common sense answers, but abstract thought is something it can't come up with which isn't surprising.

It can manage concrete solutions to a degree but any critical thinking request fails..

Sir ZDuke

All Star
Daps
We got expelled for having calculators or calculator watches in math.

As it is and still is cheating.
To have access to an answer key.

Kids can not learn when allowed to survey an answer key. Or device that can replicate the answer key.

As in life you need to know and learn.
The concepts to be self sufficient.
To be cognitive and compute without fail or discovery

By using ai. You take away cognitive dissonance. Plus create an environment that is morally lacking and deviant.

As you ethically endorse cheating.
Which spawns deviance.

Plus restricts knowledge and recall of facts.

Art Barr
Who said anything about changes to testing/exams? I doubt anyone would be allowed to use Chatgpt in an exam.

We’ve had google since 1998, how has that restricted the “recall of facts”?

Arizax2

All Star
Daps
Only way I could pass my college math class was with Chegg .
I used mathway.com a long time ago. It was ahead of its time really.

When I was getting my masters, folks got caught using ChatGPT to write their papers. Apparently the professors were told their wasn't anything on the guidelines about using AI so they couldn't hold the students accountable Apparently. They had to add to the guidelines the following semester to include rules regarding AI and work. It was crazy that the school wasn't firm with that because at the end of the day the students didn't write shyt clear case of plagiarism but since it was technically original content from ChatGPT they didn't consider it that. I would have never even thought about doing that at a graduate level and risk getting kicked out.