Damn losing weight is the hardest thing I’ve ever tried to do in life brehs

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I hear you but some ppl need that push and someone to get on them if they’re slacking. I knew a dude like that. Being verbally abused brought out the best in him at work. Not saying breh in this thread needs that, but he needs someone irl tracking him.
I would say "needing that push" is a problem. You don't want it that bad if you "need that push." When you want something and I mean really want it then it consumes your thoughts.

There's stages to this weight loss stuff. I'll try to make this happen is stage 1 that's pretty much guaranteed failure, I'll do my best to make this happen is stage 2. The people at that stages will still most likely fail but could possibly find short term success. Stage 3 is I will do whatever it takes to make this happen. Once you hit stage 3 maybe you have a trainer for meal plans and workout plans but you don't need them for accountability because you hold yourself accountable.

This is all desire. If you want it bad enough you make it happen and if you don't you fail. You are the one that beats off the cravings and exercises the discipline to eat right. This is one of the most simple things in the world to achieve. If you eat right and maintain a caloric deficit you will lose weight baring you're not in a small percentage of the population with a health issue preventing that. In life there isn't a lot where if you put forth the effort alone you achieve results guaranteed. This is one of those things.

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
I would say "needing that push" is a problem. You don't want it that bad if you "need that push." When you want something and I mean really want it then it consumes your thoughts.

There's stages to this weight loss stuff. I'll try to make this happen is stage 1 that's pretty much guaranteed failure, I'll do my best to make this happen is stage 2. The people at that stages will still most likely fail but could possibly find short term success. Stage 3 is I will do whatever it takes to make this happen. Once you hit stage 3 maybe you have a trainer for meal plans and workout plans but you don't need them for accountability because you hold yourself accountable.

This is all desire. If you want it bad enough you make it happen and if you don't you fail. You are the one that beats off the cravings and exercises the discipline to eat right. This is one of the most simple things in the world to achieve. If you eat right and maintain a caloric deficit you will lose weight baring you're not in a small percentage of the population with a health issue preventing that. In life there isn't a lot where if you put forth the effort alone you achieve results guaranteed. This is one of those things.

I'd rep your ass if I could (sounds too close ro something else so :dame: ).

This is what like 95% of folks don't understand, even folks that go to the gym regularly. It also perfectly explains why New Year's resolutioners are a thing, and it's usually the same motherfukkers skruggling each year. :snoop:

Ain't no participation points for this shyt. Folks think they can pay the Gold Price when they have to pay the Iron.
:francis:

Too many folks spend their whole fitness 'careers' spinning their wheels at Stage 1 or 2.
I can't count how many folks I see stuck in this samsara at the gym, including folks that ask me to put them on game. Only ever had one brotegé ascend to Stage 3.

But once you reach that Super Saiyan (Stage) 3 your results are truly out of this world. :wow:

Rick Fox at UNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Boys
Working out is a secondary issue. He can’t the nutrition right and that rules all in this case

What do you mean by "nutrition." Word makes me cringe.

Knew better than people who had been through the same or are generally in better shape……

You hate to see it

Fair, but sometimes people in "better shape" are the worst ones to listen to. Folks gotta be confident enough (but not hard-headed) to find what works for them. Listening to tips is cool, but only as a means for finding one's own way. I don't know, ymmv.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
What do you mean by "nutrition." Word makes me cringe.

Fair, but sometimes people in "better shape" are the worst ones to listen to. Folks gotta be confident enough (but not hard-headed) to find what works for them. Listening to tips is cool, but only as a means for finding one's own way. I don't know, ymmv.
Nutrition you know like food

I’m not saying across the board anyone in better shape should be who you listen to with no reservations but in his case and with the general knowledge on this board he would have been wise to listen as a foundation.

Rick Fox at UNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Boys
Schedule in a daily walk of 120 Minutes (like the old MTV show).
- Find a walkable spot in your city (college area, etc.).
- Load up some Drum and Bass or Ambient mixes.
- Start today. This doesn't require some huge planning session. Get going!

Tip #1: What you eat is a bit overrated (but also underrated). The word "nutrition" is often misapplied.
Something I realized while visiting Europe where the population is generally healthier but the gym bro culture isn't really as a heavy as it is in the US--they don't eat a lot of fast food or processed nonsense, but they still eat good...and they walk, alot!

I was eating whole pizzas and downing beer. I was eating large burgers and portions of fries, and downing beers. I was eating desserts, and downing beers. In the end, I felt better than ever and lost 7 pounds without even trying to. Reasons? Almost everything I ate was made fresh right in front of me, the food actually filled me up so I didn't think about eating often, and I probably averaged 4-6+ miles of walking per day.

Once I returned to the states, I started replicating that life as much as possible. Started walking more than I had been (went from 40min to 120min) and cut down on the fast food and unnecessary snacking, focusing on "fresher" foods made in front of me. Instead of Olive Garden or Pizza Hut, hit the local pizza spot where you can see it being made. It's difficult, even in places like Santa Monica or DC, but doable.

The point. I don't focus on counting calories or any of that so much as avoiding situations where I would need to.

Tip #2: Understand the goal and what it takes to get there (less than you think).
Daily walking and being "mindful" of what you eat will get you there. Utilizing an eating window can be beneficial because it imposes a hard limit on when you should be eating. Tracking your food can be beneficial, blah blah. Do what works for you. But figure out something and stick to it.

Tip #3: Ignore all of that gymbro shyt (unless that's what you want).
All these videos where guys are sprinting hills, doing backflips in the gym, doing crazy circuits. All of that is noise. Measuring carbs/protein/fat, nonsense. Are you trying to be a bodybuilder or are you trying to lose the 100lbs you gained? Focus on the goal. If the gymbro shyt works, great. But if listening to that noise does not work for you, be unapologetic about finding something that does. When I was on that gymbro shyt, I gained alot of strength and some muscle, didn't lose a lot of weight. I also found much of it to be superfluous echo-chamber nonsense that caused me to focus on the wrong things. fukk all that talking and theorizing, do what works!

Tip #4: Find a routine and stick to it (also, find people to walk around and explore with).
When I was living in SoCal I would walk the beach every morning, or walk around UCLA or UC Irvine in the evenings. There was NO EXCUSE. It was like daily meditation.

In NorCal I would walk around Stanford every evening, or hit up Foothill College and walk all around there.

In AZ I would walk around UA every evening.

In NYC my boy and I would walk around Columbia, Fordham Law, and Juilliard.

When I was living in DC friends would come visit and I would just walk around DC with them. We might walk around Howard University, or park at the Capital Hill club and walk to Capital One Arena to watch a Wizard's game. Or park at Georgetown U and walk around Georgetown/Foggy Bottom. People will look back and be like, "yo, we walked 10 miles today like it was nothing."

The point. Find what you enjoy (in my case, Universities) and stick to it. No matter where I am, I'll set my timer to 120 minutes, find a university and walk around it. I could be traveling for work or vacation, I'll find a university and walk it without thinking.

- signed, a dude that lost 150lbs during the pandemic.

Last edited:

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

I guess I agree with your last paragraph. I also think OP might be trolling though.

Rick Fox at UNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Boys
Another exercise option:
Find a rowing machine at the gym and start off with 4k rows at 30/30r intervals.

Finally -- obey your gut. You know when you're eating something that will screw with your weight loss. You can feel it. Stop ignoring that feeling. Likewise, you absolutely know when you're firing on all cylinders and your body is shedding weight. Embrace that shyt.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
i lost 50 pounds in 5 months, im here to laugh at OPs non commital ass :umad:
(i seriously think hes trolling too)
When I was still in my 20s I dropped 80 pounds in 4 months. It was extreme. I did things I don't recommend people doing. I was at the gym for hours daily leaving with my clothing soaked. I was eating 1500 calories a day and as a grown man that was wack to do. I lost that weight so fast mofos at work were walking up to me like are you ok? That's what I mean. When I did that it was a burning desire to have that shyt gone. It consumed my thoughts. It wasn't difficult at all. I woke up one day and I was like I'm doing this shyt and I never looked back. No before that point I had tried and failed many times but I know I wasn't all in on it. When I went all in it happened very fast.

Mr. Manhattan

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
When I was still in my 20s I dropped 80 pounds in 4 months. It was extreme. I did things I don't recommend people doing. I was at the gym for hours daily leaving with my clothing soaked. I was eating 1500 calories a day and as a grown man that was wack to do. I lost that weight so fast mofos at work were walking up to me like are you ok? That's what I mean. When I did that it was a burning desire to have that shyt gone. It consumed my thoughts. It wasn't difficult at all. I woke up one day and I was like I'm doing this shyt and I never looked back. No before that point I had tried and failed many times but I know I wasn't all in on it. When I went all in it happened very fast.
80 pounds in 4 months :damn:

im on a 1500-1600 calorie a day diet, and do 45-60 minute cardio sessions every morning
ive grown addicted to doing cardio almost everyday, that i have to talk myself out of going to rest my body literally today

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
shyt, I am now on week 3 of losing weight since my doctor said I am gonna die if I don't fix my habits. I haven't went over 2k calories a day but twice and both days, I burned 1k working out and on the Peloton

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Accountability is overrated. This all boils down to desire. You have to want it for yourself and want it so bad you'll do whatever it takes to reach the goal. A lot of people have things in life they casually want. If they could push a button and have it instantly they'd do it but when it comes to the effort it ain't happening. To most people fitness is one of those things. It's like Jadakiss said "We dream chasing, y'all nikkas walking behind wishes." This guy is walking behind a wish. He ain't gonna catch it that way ever.
Accountability is definitely not overrated. You really gotta hold yourself accountable for all your actions throughout a day that you can control and even how to lead and respond to others.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Accountability is definitely not overrated. You really gotta hold yourself accountable for all your actions throughout a day that you can control and even how to lead and respond to others.
I think you view this wrong. If you want to watch a movie or listen to an album do you hold yourself accountable or just do it?

Accountability is for things deep down you don't really want to do or find unpleasant and in the context we were discussing it was being held accountable by others.

If this is what you want then you're doing it on your own Accord. Nobody has to hold you accountable. If you're using tricks like having other people nag at you when you skip doing this because you view it as a chore how long are you going to last at it?

I'm always conscious of my goal and overall working towards it. If I don't feel like exercising a given day I don't. If I want pizza once a week I get it. There's still that mental awareness of staying on track overall. The only accountability I have is I daily or every other day step in a scale and if the number is off I make minor adjustments.