Empire creator confirms show is based on jay z

Daps
Reppin
NULL
based on jay-z lmao

that would actually be a good story, but the only thing has in common with jay-z is a rapper becoming corporate executive

i can see the cac influences on this shyt

cookie lol, might as well named terrance howard Leroy Lyons

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
:laff: I'm still struggling through it as a first time watcher. I knocked out season one with the quickness. Season 2 is only just starting to pick up cause I seen DeAndre & Avon. Otherwise I'd still be sleepin on it.

I enjoyed season 2, but admittedly it's a different pace considering how powerful the first season was. Still, in hindsight, I'm glad they explored the docks, and it all blends in perfectly later on down the line in the final season. It reminds me of Halloween III which despite not having Michael Myers, was still an interesting dark b-movie in its own right.

eldoradored

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Breh this is a terrible comparison.

David Simon is white, yes, but he was in the worst parts of Baltimore, mingling with drug dealers and gangsters, addicts, whatever, for years, respectfully asking could he tell their story. Because a lot of shyt in "The Wire" is based on actual events or people. Hell, there's even a couple of real life gangsters in it....the guy Omar is based on, was riding with Omar in season 5 when he got ambushed.

He got the ok to do all that. He's not just a white guy writing about it, he was actually around that shyt for most of his adult life in some capacity, which is why the show exists. He saw it first hand, he's not some guy writing about it from afar.

I don't know anything about Danny Strong aside from he guest starred on "Justified" and "Buffy The Vampire Slayer". I dunno how such a person is qualified to run a show about the hip-hop recording industry.

Fred.
My sentiments exactly... Hell, let Jay and dem tell THAT story if its to be told... I'd much rather a Dame Dash or Roc Nation produced show "Loosely" based on Jay Z..... Lol

Without Having seen an episode yet... The idea of Empire reminds me of when Mario Van Peebles did "Carlitos Way: The Prequel"... The idea of that was VERY DOPE, but poorly executed (Turned a Classic into some straight to DVD shyt... Smh..Nobody was tryin to hear "Starring DIDDY and Mario Van Peebles" B....) Which was a shame because it took away the opportunity for it to be DONE PROPERLY.. A wasted shot.. They wasted the shot!

Same thing with Belly... Belly 1 actually left room for a BELLY 2 to be VERY DOPE if ever revisited... (Of course Belly 2 was absent Hype Williams, DMX, Nas, Weebay etc...) insert Game (Who coulda been DOPE in a WELL WRITTEN and produced BELLY 2)..INSTEAD....U get a whole new cast, a bad storyline no connection to the original.. etc... and total wackness.. Point Being, it COULDA Actually been Dope! They ruined any chance of it EVER being done the RIGHT WAY!

I get the same feeling about Empire...It could be Fresh, except I don't believe they goin the extra mile or doin none of the knowledge necessary to make it really DOPE...Have they ever spoken with Dee or Wah? Have they invited J. Prince down to dinner for a lil chat... Have they reached out to Benny Boom, Hype Williams, etc.. Holla at a Benzino about how things really was goin down at the source...Have they offered Scarface, or Gee and Hip Hop paid consulting or writing gigs on the show? They got Tim... but I heard the Music is wack? Huh?
How is Timbaland is the Music Producer for your "Hip Hop" television show, and the music is allegedly wack? :what:

For the record I thought Hustle and Flow was SUPER TRASH... (So... For starters, me buyin Terrence Howard as a loosely based Jay Z character, who was some TOP TIER rapper at one point, is just not working for my thought process right now)..These are ALL Red Flags for me going into the series.. Lol..

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Without Having seen an episode yet... The idea of Empire reminds me of when Mario Van Peebles did "Carlitos Way: The Prequel"... The idea of that was VERY DOPE, but poorly executed (Turned a Classic into some straight to DVD shyt... Smh..Nobody was tryin to hear "Starring DIDDY and Mario Van Peebles" B....) Which was a shame because it took away the opportunity for it to be DONE PROPERLY.. A wasted shot.. They wasted the shot!

Same thing with Belly... Belly 1 actually left room for a BELLY 2 to be VERY DOPE if ever revisited... (Of course Belly 2 was absent Hype Williams, DMX, Nas, Weebay etc...) insert Game (Who coulda been DOPE in a WELL WRITTEN and produced BELLY 2)..INSTEAD....U get a whole new cast, a bad storyline no connection to the original.. etc... and total wackness.. Point Being, it COULDA Actually been Dope! They ruined any chance of it EVER being done the RIGHT WAY!

I never bothered to see the prequel to Carlito's Way. The very thought of rappers in movies spells doom to me from the get-go. That said, Belly was over-glorified in my opinion. Loved the visuals (Hype), as it was pretty much a music video minus non-stop music. As far as the acting goes though :francis:. Plot, :upsetfavre:, ending, :mjlol:. It really is a pitiful project if you take it seriously. I guess as far as hood movies go, it's better than the No Limit projects, or those sh!tty State Property flicks. I swear when rappers are doing their own independent movies, they're doing too much.

Flav

Where the dice game at?
Daps
That show is based on

Jay Z= rap/sports/record label

Puffy=flashy

Suge=gay son

J prince=business son

Master P=rapper son

Eazy E=disease thats incurable

Thats the way i see it

:yeshrug:

eldoradored

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I never bothered to see the prequel to Carlito's Way. The very thought of rappers in movies spells doom to me from the get-go. That said, Belly was over-glorified in my opinion. Loved the visuals (Hype), as it was pretty much a music video minus non-stop music. As far as the acting goes though :francis:. Plot, :upsetfavre:, ending, :mjlol:. It really is a pitiful project if you take it seriously. I guess as far as hood movies go, it's better than the No Limit projects, or those sh!tty State Property flicks. I swear when rappers are doing their own independent movies, they're doing too much.
I agree.. Belly had it's flaws.. but like you said, It ALSO had it's MOMENTS, its VISUALS.. Its LANGUAGE... It's FASHION.. It's MUSIC... It's Characters... It's MEMORABLE SCENES.. Which was all enough to to warrant a sequel at some point... Like Belly 2 Right NOW coulda been dope as hell with good writing, and production.. But No... that shot got wasted 10 years ago... Lol
Man... DMX, OX, Knowledge Born (Power), Marc (Weebey)..They got busy in dat movie.. and Nas coulda even been utilized in a way that his acting wouldn't have to be the greatest.. Lol

Last edited:

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's why I never watched after tha first episode

It came off corny, like a cac made it
I swear when I watched the first episode with my baby moms I told her the show was ok but seemed very cliche, which it is. After the next few episodes it was wack as fukk

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I agree.. Belly had it's flaws.. but like you said, It ALSO had it's MOMENTS, its VISUALS.. Its LANGUAGE... It's FASHION.. It's MUSIC... It's Characters... It's MEMORABLE SCENES.. Which was all enough to to warrant a sequel at some point... Like Belly 2 Right NOW coulda been dope as hell with good writing, and production.. But No... that shot got wasted 10 years ago... Lol
Exactly Belly was ill. Yeah it had Nas who sucks at acting but the flick was still good

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
lol @ jay-z. it would make more sense if he said master p or somebody. jay either hides his kids or doesnt claim them at all.:laugh:

white dude clearly just name-dropped the 1st rapper that came to mind that hes actually familiar with.

this is worse than lee daniels claiming that the show centers around the gay son just to stir up some controvery.:whistle: well that did work out well for him tho.

The Wire is whack AF. Season 2 almost caused me to slit my wrists - I never understood the hype. Only entertaining was when Marlo came into it. But overall shyt was butt butter B.

Empire's far more entertaining but it's still Jigaboo TV

season 2 was the one where they focused on white folks' role in this drug chit.

nobody liked it.

jaydolf spitler

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Florida
The Wire is whack AF. Season 2 almost caused me to slit my wrists - I never understood the hype. Only entertaining was when Marlo came into it. But overall shyt was butt butter B.

Empire's far more entertaining but it's still Jigaboo TV
Marlo was a horrible actor to me. Dude was too stoic and stiff all the time. Avon Barksdale and Stringer >>>> they were who I watched the show for

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
Really don't see how this is based on Jay at all. Jay the only music mogul they know?

pretty much.

:laugh:

They got Tim... but I heard the Music is wack? Huh?
How is Timbaland is the Music Producer for your "Hip Hop" television show, and the music is allegedly wack? :what:

For the record I thought Hustle and Flow was SUPER TRASH... (So... For starters, me buyin Terrence Howard as a loosely based Jay Z character, who was some TOP TIER rapper at one point, is just not working for my thought process right now)..These are ALL Red Flags for me going into the series.. Lol..

of course theyre not seeking consultants. its just a soap opera. thats why im not even complaining about how bad they rep philly.

with that said, timbaland fits right in. hes not a hip-hop guy. hes an r&b dude with nice drums.:laugh: and of course the music is wack. timbaland has been wack for many moons now.

yea. "hustle n flow" was wick-wick-wack. and im confused about terrence howard being a legendary '90s street rapper. everytime they play an old song or they show him doing something musically, its usually some r&b chit. hes even singing half the time. what is this family song mess that they just did? LOL.