Funny differences in hood culture that you noticed through hip-hop?

ignorethis

RIP Fresh RIP Doe RIP Phat
Daps
Spending so much time listening to regional hip-hop, it's funny how hood culture is for the most part the same but there are a few things that different regions have very different perspectives on.

• Like in Detroit/New Orleans rap being a "shooter" isn't really a big part of their rap versus Chicago/New York hip-hop. nikkas are more likely to rap about putting money on somebody head or paying somebody to shoot somebody for them. I would add in Baton Rogue too but they seem to have a 50/50 blend of doing your own work and paying nikkas to do it for you.

• In Bay Area/LA hip-hop paying for p*ssy is sacrilegious, while in Detroit/Atlanta hip-hop its pretty normalized (pimp culture vs. D-Boy culture I guess).

• Houston/Atlanta/LA hip-hop kinda paint robbing in a sympathetic light, while in Detroit hip-hop it seems robbing is looked down upon even in the streets.

• I know causal hard drug usage like cocaine, sherm, even heroin was extremely common in West Coast and Southern hip-hop, but I can't really think of too many East Coast/Midwest artist opening up about casual drug use outside of Bone Thugs, Twista, and a few Beanie Sigel verses.

Honestly I don't think hip-hop is the best indicator of a hood's culture, but it does paint of image of what is considered aspirational in each region. Any other differences you've notice?

TheSickness

I'll be seeing y'all neggas on the streets
Daps
Reppin
Is that Horse? It must be i heard he husky
  • I know causal hard drug usage like cocaine, sherm, even heroin was extremely common in West Coast and Southern hip-hop, but I can't really think of too many East Coast/Midwest artist opening up about casual drug use outside of Bone Thugs, Twista, and a few Beanie Sigel verses.
There is always a difference, but off the top i know TONS of East Coast rappers that talk about drug use. Especially underground nikkaz. Nikkaz even made albums about how much they love smoking sherm. But it is more common on the West to rap about smoking weed, and the South rappers to talk about heroin and Lean i'll agree with that.