dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
OK, so Gucci had plaques in the 00's? He was featured on #1 songs in the 00's? He had a lot if rappers sounding like him in the 00's? Did not all this happen in the '10's?

Staple, means that he was someone who was consistently putting out music and had a following. Only other way I know how to put it is the Trina comparison. Trina was by no means the biggest female rapper in the 00's like Gucci wasn't even the biggest trap rapper or rapper in his lane in the 00's. Trina was consistent and definitely a staple. Trina's contemporaries went on hiatus, fell off, and even when female rap wasn't as huge, Trina still did her thing. The smoke clears and a lot of female rappers now are more influenced by Trina than her contemporaries. Does that mean she had a longer career? No. Does it mean she had a bigger career? No.
"lemonade" went plat...he was featured on a top 20 hit on mario's "break up"

and how are you even comparing his stuff in the 00's of which a lot were mixtapes or independent albums - breh re-released songs all the times due to this - that couldn't be counted to how everything can be counted now as long as it's on the right platforms? why are we even talking sales when THAT's NOT THE MEASURE OF HIS IMPACT

and how/why would people sound like him or be influenced by him in his beginning years? :what: you gotta have time in the game for those effects to take place. who the hell sounded like wayne in 08? future in 2012?

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
"lemonade" went plat...he was featured on a top 20 hit on mario's "break up"

and how are you even comparing his stuff in the 00's of which a lot were mixtapes or independent albums - breh re-released songs all the times due to this - that couldn't be counted to how everything can be counted now as long as it's on the right platforms? why are we even talking sales when THAT's NOT THE MEASURE OF HIS IMPACT

and how/why would people sound like him or be influenced by him in his beginning years? :what: you gotta have time in the game for those effects to take place. who the hell sounded like wayne in 08? future in 2012?

"Lemonade" went platinum 2019.

Gucci was also featured on the remix to Mariah's "Obsession", which was bigger than the Mario song. This was during the run where he was making more mainstream moves and many thought he was about to be huge commercially. None of this compares to what he did in the last decade in which he was clearly bigger.

And no I'm not talking about independent albums and mixtapes. He had some mainstream music that didn't really hit either and there's songs from those albums that were dope.

And this wasn't just about the sales.

Influence isn't just a measure of time and place. When T.I. dropped Trap Muzik, we saw other rappers come in and do it. When Jeezy blew, it was rappers sounding like Jeezy. When Lex Luger took off, it was producers immediately copying the drum patterns. And if we use Wayne as an example, how many artists had a song that sounded like "A Milli" shortly after it dropped? Artists were hitting up Bangladesh for something that sounded like that song. Sometimes, it doesn't take years for influence to be seen.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland

Gucci was also featured on the remix to Mariah's "Obsession", which was bigger than the Mario song. This was during the run where he was making more mainstream moves and many thought he was about to be huge commercially. None of this compares to what he did in the last decade in which he was clearly bigger.

And no I'm not talking about independent albums and mixtapes. He had some mainstream music that didn't really hit either and there's songs from those albums that were dope.

Influence isn't just a measure of time and place. When T.I. dropped Trap Muzik, we saw other rappers come in and do it. When Jeezy blew, it was rappers sounding like Jeezy. When Lex Luger took off, it was producers immediately copying the drum patterns. And if we use Wayne as an example, how many artists had a song that sounded like "A Milli" shortly after it dropped? Artists were hitting up Bangladesh for something that sounded like that song. Sometimes, it doesn't take years for influence to be seen.
ok, you're right. thanks

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
shyt hard so far the two songs I’ve heard.

I’m probably the biggest wop fan on earth I know every song word for word he released from 05-2012. I’ve been reluctant to listen to any of his new shyt but he really does sound like the old Gucci here

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps

Beyonce even wanted an A Milli record :mjlol:

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
Gucci gets props for overcoming all of what he overcame to arrive where he's at now. When T.I. and Jeezy were huge, it just wasn't his time. Gucci's music then wasn't resonating because it didn't connect with the '00's and even the early '10's. Gucci found his sound and the reason he's bigger now than was previously is because his music connects more with this era than the previous ones. Gucci was not going to hit like that in the '00's because there was already T.I. and Jeezy running the streets doing trap music at the level they were doing trap music and it wasn't a need for a Gucci. T.I. and Jeezy fell behind the times and Gucci's style is far more in tune with now than them.
T.I. And jeezy been popping since ‘03 and ‘05 respectively, gucci doing what he should’ve been doing in ‘09-‘10. But drugs and jail held him back, tip and jeezy onto other ventures they don’t need to be the face of Atlanta trap music anymore.

Supreme

King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC

UuzXl7w.png