Hannibal Burress doesnt support rent control and is a landlord and cacs are turning on him

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
I mean as most people rent I understand but as a property owner, I have to repair, heat. keep the water hot/running, exterminate sometimes, and pay a mortgage on a building this stuff costs money. I think the bigger think is making sure the renters are protected in other ways. I think the other issue is cities cap how many apts a city can house as homeowners contribute a lot more to the tax base relative to the household size.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
People don't care...

For all the "wokeness" of modern people, I'm realizing that it's all theatre.

They operate on the principles of envy, selfishness, and a refusal to self reflect and take accountability for their actions.

The landlord has more than me so he's evil - envy

I don't care what his expenses are, this apartment needs to stay the same price forever because that's how I want it - selfishness

I shouldn't be punished for ruining my credit and not being able to purchase a home and still rent well into my 40s - refusal to take accountability

If you look at those 3 principles you'll see a lot of the motivations of "progressives" they just try to dress it up by pretending to care about some marginalized group who will probably get fukked over in the end by the policies they champion
Real talk. Arrogance of people is despicable.

KingJudah2

All Star
Daps
Reppin
718 Kings County
Yeah, this is nonsense. The logic doesn’t make sense but apparently people like @DatManJay negging me for pointing it out lol. This is a ridiculous thread. Go research the effect of rent controlled housing in NYC and why developers hate it. It stops them from buying up properties and raising the rent to exorbitant rates to kick out the tenants living there to get “preferred” clients. They would use loopholes like “owner use” to justify raising the rent on an apartment. Or they would find a means to evict tenants so that they could then raise the rent of an apartment by 20 percent. Or if they improved something like a boiler, they’d raise the rent by 6 percent. In other words, based maintenance to the building could justify a 6 percent rent increase. Rent control limits that to two percent in NYC. You’re acting like people are out here going broke being landlords. But go ahead, y’all can neg me again for pointing this out. Your notion that this protects slumlords is hilarious. A lot of you nikkas need to admit that you don’t know what you’re talking about or you’re self-interested and don’t give a fukk. There is an affordable housing crisis in this country and you’re posting this nonsense as if every landlord’s association isn’t fighting and lobbying against rent control.
So rent control doesn't work

HellRell804

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So, if Im trying to move out of my folks place, can't afford to pay rent on my own, need 2-3 extra people to split the bill, still stuck on Min. Wage and/or school , then the landlord decides to up the price, Im selfish because I want to live in a place that I can afford? Buying a place/car isn't all about credit, people just aren't cool with the cost of living going up. Sure we shouldn't put all the blame on LLs and people gotta be smart with money, but why pay double than what you've paid for the same place you've always lived in

Lol you couldn’t afford to move out of your parents house in the first place. So no, the landlord isn’t entitled to provide you an affordable place to stay because you didn’t like the affordable option.

Look at that selfishness on display.

I like this place! Why should I have to pay what the owner wants :damn:

Lol life is all about decisions, consequences, and compromises.

There's places u can afford, u just don't like them. And you expect other people to lose money to accommodate your inability to accept reality

HellRell804

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:whew: the HL progressive squad took a beating in this thread.

See what happens when they can't hide behind "Trump is bad" and "White supremacy rahhhhh :damn:" and collect daps. Or beg a mod to ban or Bush someone.

When they get exposed for the selfish, envious, sneaky, manipulative pieces of shyt they really are, all they can do is hurl insults and run away

kwazzy100

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Lol you couldn’t afford to move out of your parents house in the first place. So no, the landlord isn’t entitled to provide you an affordable place to stay because you didn’t like the affordable option.

@kwazzy100 heres some advice. Stay at your folks place and save money (unless of course you come from a very physical toxic home). You sound entitled in your post.

And as far as being stuck on minimum wage. That isn’t a thing I’m sorry. Learn to look up opportunities that will elevate you from minimum wage or get a second minimum wage job

:yeshrug:

I didn’t choose to leave my folks place and so far I’m close to finishing up my savings to own property.

Look at that selfishness on display.

I like this place! Why should I have to pay what the owner wants :damn:

Lol life is all about decisions, consequences, and compromises.

There's places u can afford, u just don't like them. And you expect other people to lose money to accommodate your inability to accept reality

None of yall answered the question and just gave "Just World" advice as if you automatically know a random person's circumstance.
Im betting yall have no problem with gentrification as well...

Icantspell

#freedaguys
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO FOREVER
Landlords still have expenses they have to cover and also have to deal with property tax increases. Would rent control put some landlords in the red?
Then they should have rented it out to cover all those expenses from the beginning. Rent control only restricts how much a landlord can increase the rent per year.

Consigliere

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Or both are issues.
In places with extreme demand, rent control is fine as long as there is a continued increase in the availability of affordable housing.
The only issue is greed (or what bootlickers call "supply and demand") and local municipalities that limit the building of housing.

I still can’t agree with this. I’ve seen some egregious abuse of rent control just like I’ve seen landlords exploit their tenants.

I managed buildings in NW DC that had people paying less than $500/ month in rent. The landlord was legitimately losing money and unable to raise the rents more than 1-3% depending on that year’s CPI increase.

The tenants couldn’t figure out why their property wasn’t well maintained outside of the bare minimum. The landlord was a piece of shyt, but rent control created a situation where the landlord or any owner of the building couldn’t profit unless people died or lived in slum like conditions. So people got a reduction in bedbug and roach treatments, fewer weekend and after hours maintenance requests got filled, and people without working heat or appliances had to wait longer than average times for repairs.

And to make it worse we made up the loss on the DC rent controlled properties by jacking up the rents on non-rent controlled properties 15 minutes down the street in Montgomery County. We cleared our entire buildings by bumping their rent from $1100/month to $1400 or more. So instead of a couple people paying their fair share in DC. A whole bunch of other people who weren’t protected had to make up that deficit with the landlord by paying way more.

I don’t have a solution here, but there has to be a better way that doesn’t have so many unintended consequences.

HellRell804

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
None of yall answered the question and just gave "Just World" advice as if you automatically know a random person's circumstance.
Im betting yall have no problem with gentrification as well...

The answer was that you can't control what someone else does with their property.

If you like it so much, guess what, there's probably a thousand others who like it just as much or more. And, gasp, some of those people are willing to pay more than you for the privilege of living there.

Maybe you should move further south in the city if you insist on moving out broke.

But no one is ever truly stuck at minimum wage. Not when we have trucking companies paying for people to get their CDL, Amazon offering $15 a hour and giving you experience in warehouse and manufacturing you can take to a better job, nursing programs you can complete in 18 months, and plenty other opportunities out there.

Like I said before, I know felons recently released from the penitentiary bringing home $1000 a week checks.

Consigliere

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Then they should have rented it out to cover all those expenses from the beginning. Rent control only restricts how much a landlord can increase the rent per year.

If you buy a rent controlled building you can’t take more of an increase than whatever the approved cost of living increase is. There is no setting your rents unless you are doing new construction.