How would you rank the WWE's era's

stro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
The difference between AE and the New gen was that AE already had it figured out. The company completely changed their image for that edgy product and there was even a proper changing of the guard with Austin winning the wwf title.

With the new gen they had the elements but, they never really seemed to put all together.

But New Gen DID have it all figured out, it just didn't take off like the AE.

It had a very clear structure and changing of the guard.

Bret as the Hogan/Austin/Bruno/Backlund
Taker as the new Andre
HBK as the Savage/Rock
Owen and Bulldog as the Rude/Perfect level guys
Lex as Warrior
and on and on. There's an analogue for pretty much every dude in the New Gen as compared to Golden Era and Attitude Eras.

Last edited:
Daps
But New Gen DID have it all figured out, it just didn't take off like the AE.

Nah even when they were pushing younger talent at the forefront they were still doing cartoonish gimmicks. They were still outdated.

The process wasn't complete until the attitude era hit. That's when everything really came together. The company had a completely different image by then that mirrored where American pop culture was at during the time.

stro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
We're just going back and forth here, but I really think the New Gen was doing the same thing the Attitude Era did in terms of changing direction, perception, and building up new stars. It's just that the AE happened to catch on and happen during a wave of popularity that was started with the nWo and Nitro exploding (which was started by two New Gen stars invading WCW).

New Gen was as big of a company wide change from the Golden Era as AE was to it, imo.

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels like the past 10 years (or maybe more like 8 years) is all blended together. I've been trying to pinpoint some type of shift between 2008 and 2016, and I honestly can't. I know this isn't technically the "PG Era", but it damn sure feels tame as hell. Not saying blood, t*ts, and cussing should be on every show, but Jesus, how about some life and spirit.

And I feel like Attitude was 97-before the Brand Extension (I feel like I'd be stretching it a bit if I said late 96-Brand Extension). The Brand Extension was the official end of Attitude, not Wrestlemania 17, and definitely not Invasion. You can honestly split Attitude into two halves --- the more grimy core of 97-99, and the somewhat cleaner portion of 00-02.

Last edited:

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
1. Golden
2. Attitude
3. New Generation

Everything else is really whatever to me. I was out during the Ruthless Aggression Era. Like I knew what was going on but it wasn't like now where I keep up with everything. So like....everything between Fall 2002 until 2011.

Truth be told...it was Daniel Bryan and Punk that brought me back. Good workers. Good talkers.

fukk I miss those motherfukkers...shyt is like Henry at the end of Goodfellas...Roman Reigns...Egg Noodles and Ketchup :to:

The American

Defending America against cacs
Daps
New Gen was NOT transition. Vince clearly knew what he wanted and had everything set up. He did not foresee the rise of WCW and the need to go edgy. His original plan was to have Bret rule WWE for as long as Hulk did, with HBK and Bulldog as costars. Ruthless aggression was more a transition. But New Gen was a clear cut new era with a new theme and direction. It just didn't take off, but it's fun to watch in hindsight, it's so 90s.

MrFirst2doit

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I disagree reality era and pg era are the same...pg era was full steam super cena...reality era is the pipe bomb, yes-Lemania, rise of shield, and wwe network....the difference between the two is supercena and wwe looking for other options beside cena

Daps
New Gen was NOT transition. Vince clearly knew what he wanted and had everything set up. He did not foresee the rise of WCW and the need to go edgy. His original plan was to have Bret rule WWE for as long as Hulk did, with HBK and Bulldog as costars. Ruthless aggression was more a transition. But New Gen was a clear cut new era with a new theme and direction. It just didn't take off, but it's fun to watch in hindsight, it's so 90s.

It was definitely a transitional period. They were still in a work in progress. The presentation of the product was still outdated. They didn't have a transcendent star when hogan/savage left, business also took a hit due to the steroid allegations and molestation charges, and there was no buzz in the wrestling industry as a whole. The company was still trying to put the pieces together.

The attitude era was a byproduct of all of the struggling and changes that was going on inside the company as well as the industry as a whole. It also benefited from the buzz that wcw made by bringing in the nwo and bringing that realism to the mainstream audience. Timing was also something it benefited off of as well.

All of the elements that they couldn't put together during that transitional period came together for the attitude era.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Attitude Era
Ruthless Aggression Era
Golden Age Era
New Generation Era
PG Era

Hopefully the New Era will be something special.

Last edited:

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
I don't know how anyone could have AE last, when that era created some of the most memorable and transcending characters on every level, along with the fact that 1995, 2004-2007, and 2009-2010 were some of the worst wrestling years hands down that I can remember

stro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
I don't know how anyone could have AE last, when that era created some of the most memorable and transcending characters on every level, along with the fact that 1995, 2004-2007, and 2009-2010 were some of the worst wrestling years hands down that I can remember

Because to some people, those memorable moments and characters can't make up for the rest of the shows featuring some of the all time worst stories, gimmicks, and matches in history. For every Bret vs USA, or Austin vs McMahon, you'd get Hawk is a suicidal drug addict/Mark Henry gets a tranny surprise/dudes in blackface/attempted castration/attempted EMBALMING/women faking pregnancies (and miscarriages) to guilt a man into wrestling for her/The Blue Meanie/and on an on and on.

The bad stuff in the AE is some of the worst shyt ever, and there is a lot more bad than good during the period.

mrken12

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Maryland

The Attitude Era was one of the most stacked eras when it came to characters.

Ruthless Aggression Era was the most stacked when it came to wrestling talent.

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
Because to some people, those memorable moments and characters can't make up for the rest of the shows featuring some of the all time worst stories, gimmicks, and matches in history. For every Bret vs USA, or Austin vs McMahon, you'd get Hawk is a suicidal drug addict/Mark Henry gets a tranny surprise/dudes in blackface/attempted castration/attempted EMBALMING/women faking pregnancies (and miscarriages) to guilt a man into wrestling for her/The Blue Meanie/and on an on and on. Don't forget Lita's pregnancy and miscarriage as well with you wanna mention those.

The bad stuff in the AE is some of the worst shyt ever, and there is a lot more bad than good during the period.

And yet, I'd take every bit of the worst of Attitude over seeing matches/segments with Orlando Jordan, Heidenreich, Great Khali, The dikks, The Heartthrobs, The Highlanders, Luke Gallows as Kane, foot fetish Gene Snitsky, the general digging up and spitting on ECW's grave with the relaunch of ECW that just turned into WWECW, the Triple H Send You Back To Midcard Challenge, Rey Mysterio/Dominic, and on and on and on.

The Attitude Era was one of the most stacked eras when it came to characters.

Ruthless Aggression Era was the most stacked when it came to wrestling talent.

Very much agree with that, but I also think Ruthless Aggression as a whole left a lot of potential on the table, squandering a good amount of opportunities.

The American

Defending America against cacs
Daps
Because to some people, those memorable moments and characters can't make up for the rest of the shows featuring some of the all time worst stories, gimmicks, and matches in history. For every Bret vs USA, or Austin vs McMahon, you'd get Hawk is a suicidal drug addict/Mark Henry gets a tranny surprise/dudes in blackface/attempted castration/attempted EMBALMING/women faking pregnancies (and miscarriages) to guilt a man into wrestling for her/The Blue Meanie/and on an on and on.

:what: The bad stuff in AE is still pretty piff compared to other eras. Idk how old u were at the time, but the bad stuff was perfect for the time period, so the AE hardly had any bad stuff at all. It was WATTBA for a wrestling fan, and the ratings backd that up.