Intermittent Fasting/excercise is the best weight loss tool i've ever done

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Plateau has been for a few days.

Basically, a few weeks back I got up to almost 270 and was like :whoa: so I attacked it with exercise and changing up eating habits.

In the first week and a half, I dropped like five pounds. Had been as low as 258.5 as of this past Sunday, typically hover around 262 (which is where I am now).

I'm sure a good bit -- maybe not all, but certainly a considerable majority of it -- of that was water weight, which would explain how I threw some of it back on so quickly. That said, despite what the scale says, things do fit me a little differently. For example, I'm dangerously close to having to basically buy new work pants and boxers, etc. (I've passed this point already if I'm being honest but I'm being lazy about it because clothes don't pique my interest like that).
Scale weight is fine as an indicator but keep the the tracking to one day per week under the same conditions.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I wouldn't do that fam, not as a female

Best to do some major research as could affect ovulation and other things, not to say no women fast but there are many more things to consider
hmm, I have a lot of friends who do it with no issues. I’ve also read that women should have a 10 hour eating window instead of 6 or 8, although my friends currently do the standard 16:8. I was “accidentally” doing a 5:2 type fast - two days of <700 cals - last year without an issue

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
hmm, I have a lot of friends who do it with no issues. I’ve also read that women should have a 10 hour eating window instead of 6 or 8, although my friends currently do the standard 16:8. I was “accidentally” doing a 5:2 type fast - two days of <700 cals - last year without an issue
I mean there are variables. My general concern is what I know about your training combined with IF. That said it's not an automatic red flag but women should know their medical histories before trying it because it can run them into a wall if they have thyroid issues (for example) from what I understand.

5:2 is more calorie cycling than IF. 5:2 actually might be the better protocol than a once a week higher cal day.

Last edited:

Justise M

Superstar
Daps
been doing 16:8 IF for 3 weeks now. I'm 6'4 and weighed 206.

last Friday I was down to 197. I been doing my regular cardio and workout in the meantime and ran a 10k on the 4th of July

Goal is to get back down to 185

BobbyBooshay

Arnold Jackson
Daps
Reppin
London
Fung always comes off missing the forest for the trees.

I have thought the opposite TBH for years, very direct and straight forward and simple.

"Wanna burn the fat you stored, then actually let your body do it" - so simple and effective, but seems to be made so complicated by cals in v cals out, or eating multiple times a day etc instead actually managing what your body is designed to do and done for thousand of years.

His famous phrase he has used so many times in seminars and podcasts when he gets asked about muscle loss during fasting:
"Why would you body store fat for energy, only not to use it when you need energy. Its like storing wood in your cabin to burn for a fire, but when you need wood for a fire you seek something else"
:banderas:

Like I have always said many times on here, follow something you can sustain - no fads. IF for me is something very simple, sustainable with great results.

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
This is my 3rd week IF
First week I lost like 7lbs
Now i'm back up to only a total of 5 lbs lost. :stopitslime:
Kind of mad but i know I had a couple of bad days mixed in there

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
@BobbyBooshay

He's hitched his wagon to a singular aspect (insulin) of human physiology for profit. A lasting figure from the 2010-2013 intermittent fasting gold rush. Every video I've seen of his is intellectually dishonest to support his insulin hypothesis. And as expected, he's a LCHF lifestyle advocate.

He trips himself up within the first 3 minutes of the video you posted. He indirectly acknowledges that a low cortisol, low insulin environment lends itself to weight loss and overall good health, while a high cortisol, high insulin environment promotes weight gain and poor health. This is correct. However, he promotes strategies that create high cortisol, low insulin environments which will inevitably lead to high cortisol, high insulin down the line. He can't promote low cortisol, low insulin strategies without championing carbohydrates (including sugar). That would fly in the face of everything he's done with his career.

Biochem explanation why insulin is inappropriately scapegoated in obesity.

Summaries at 18:04 and 28:50.

Low carb and intermittent fasting are brute force methods for weight loss when other methods haven't worked, most likely because you're partially insulin resistant and fat adapted. You'll lose weight, but the underlying issue will likely remain when you revert back to balanced eating... which you should because elevated cortisol and free fatty acids are implicated in degenerated diseases.

BobbyBooshay

Arnold Jackson
Daps
Reppin
London
@BobbyBooshay

He's hitched his wagon to a singular aspect (insulin) of human physiology for profit. A lasting figure from the 2010-2013 intermittent fasting gold rush. Every video I've seen of his is intellectually dishonest to support his insulin hypothesis. And as expected, he's a LCHF lifestyle advocate.

He trips himself up within the first 3 minutes of the video you posted. He indirectly acknowledges that a low cortisol, low insulin environment lends itself to weight loss and overall good health, while a high cortisol, high insulin environment promotes weight gain and poor health. This is correct. However, he promotes strategies that create high cortisol, low insulin environments which will inevitably lead to high cortisol, high insulin down the line. He can't promote low cortisol, low insulin strategies without championing carbohydrates (including sugar). That would fly in the face of everything he's done with his career.

Biochem explanation why insulin is inappropriately scapegoated in obesity.

Summaries at 18:04 and 28:50.

Low carb and intermittent fasting are brute force methods for weight loss when other methods haven't worked, most likely because you're partially insulin resistant and fat adapted. You'll lose weight, but the underlying issue will likely remain when you revert back to balanced eating... which you should because elevated cortisol and free fatty acids are implicated in degenerated diseases.

Cool ill have a look, always open to learning new stuff, thanks.

For me personally it works and so easily sustainable I dont even see it as a diet, combined with Keto its a charm for me.