Is it still "cool" to be black and be a Wu-tang fan?

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
have to take that with a grain of salt if he didnt give the location.

alot of cities are predominately white. so if you do a big show in say iowa or montana, youre likely to have a caucasian crowd.

now if you go to a "black city: and draw a majority white crowd while in your prime, it may be cause for an alarm.

hence - the "up in smoke tour" being more of a hot ticket for white folks in urbanized cities renders its success to be tainted.
That's a good point. But he said that they were shocked the crowd was white, so I think it's fair to assume he was expecting a black crowd.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
That's a good point. But he said that they were shocked the crowd was white, so I think it's fair to assume he was expecting a black crowd.

still vague.

you would be shocked too if you were a young dr dre in '89 and prolly aint been around the map like that.

youd be surprised about all the misconceptions people have about areas outside fo their habitat.

then you factor in that rap was still seen as just a black thing back then. im not surprised by his comments at all.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
White dead prez fans :huhldup:

thats cuz dead prez was promoted towards white folks. some say this was done on purpose.

it doesnt help that they were grouped in with the okay player crowd.

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
But that's problem; they're not. How do you explain the last couple Wu albums? Even Ghost is swimming in hipsterville.

It's extremely hard to keep your music uncompromising when nerdy cacs buy the over-priced tickets everytime

Bullsh!t. "Nerdy cacs" may be the ones buying the overpriced tickets but the content of Wu's music has not changed that much. Ghost last several albums have been collaborations with live bands but have you actually listened to what he was saying on those tracks? Murder, drugs, b!tches and criminal activity is still on that menu. What exactly do you mean by "swimming in hipsterville"?

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
:mjlol: @ this thread...

First off, the whole premise of whether it's cool or not is hilarious. If YOU fukk with their music, why give a shyt who else likes it... I can confidently say, I've never listened to a Ghostface album thinkin' to myself :lupe: "I wanna like this, but I don't know whether 'real nikkas' like this or not so I don't know" or :lupe: "I can't like this if CACs also like it" What kinda low self esteem shyt is that?

And really, I haven't been into Wu for a loooong ass time, but the point still stands because there are nikkas who legit do not remember when Wu-Tang was the hottest shyt on the street level, and really believe that they've always been some group for nerds and middle-aged white people. Negative. Just like everything we do and blow up first, those fans came later and caught it.

Now some other real shyt (and I don't know if this is a pro-Black enough statement for y'all but it's true)... OUR listening sensibility has changed over the years, which is part of why Wu-Tang fell out of favor with us. They came out in a time when nikkas were putting together descriptive stories in their rhymes, and spitting complete verses with intricacies nshyt... and muhufkkas loved them for that. Nowadays, are 'real nikkas' really listening to shyt like that? Are there like a bunch of nikkas that wanna hear an MC tell a story that you actually have to follow as you listen, or do muhfukkas not even get into lyrics like that? I can even go back as far as when we got into the Ruff Ryders/Cash Money/No Limit era, I literally had a nikka tell me (who was previously a Wu fan) that Wu be droppin' too much 'shyt you gotta pay attention to'. A nikka listening to Rich Homie Quan and Migos right now probably don't give a shyt about no intricacies. And Im not even saying it's 'wrong', but as tastes changed, Wu didn't necessarily follow that wave, and that has a lot to do with why they fell out of favor in the first place. Nowadays, you even got nikkas from that era that only listen to trap shyt, and you'd never think that at one point they probably loved 'Liquid Swords'.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
still vague.

you would be shocked too if you were a young dr dre in '89 and prolly aint been around the map like that.

youd be surprised about all the misconceptions people have about areas outside fo their habitat.

then you factor in that rap was still seen as just a black thing back then. im not surprised by his comments at all.
Wouldn't Dre have toured with World Class Wrecking Cru?

Obviously we can go in a lot of different directions based on the comments Dre made on that show. Anything beyond they did shows (not necessarily all, hell, maybe not more than one, I don't remember exactly what he said) to a predominantly white crowd would be speculation.
It was relevant to this thread though...which is why I posted it in the first place.
Another thing they were talking about on that show was how surprising it was to Run DMC that there were so many white people at Fresh Fest (what does "so many" mean? I have no idea) - but they were showing footage of white kids at Fresh Fest in Long Island. Talking about how Run DMC was "awesome". :yeshrug:
There was some footage they showed that made Fresh Fest look all black though :yeshrug:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
And really, I haven't been into Wu for a loooong ass time, but the point still stands because there are nikkas who legit do not remember when Wu-Tang was the hottest shyt on the street level, and really believe that they've always been some group for nerds and middle-aged white people. Negative. Just like everything we do and blow up first, those fans came later and caught it.
White people were into Wu right from the gate - then again anything beyond tapes circulating in the South Bronx in the 70s - white people were into it right from the gate.
Otherwise - this post is spot on :salute:

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
Bullsh!t. "Nerdy cacs" may be the ones buying the overpriced tickets but the content of Wu's music has not changed that much. Ghost last several albums have been collaborations with live bands but have you actually listened to what he was saying on those tracks? Murder, drugs, b!tches and criminal activity is still on that menu. What exactly do you mean by "swimming in hipsterville"?

It's not about content. It's about sound.

Do you really think the average inner-city Black person is checking for Bad Bad Not Good?! Even the whole 8 diagrams fiasco with RZA wanting to add guitars and indie-rock his crew. Why do you think Rae was complaining all the time? The last Wu album was horrendous.

The last time I remember nikkas around my way really fukking with Ghostface was when "Run" came out. In fact, I know an OG (Black) who's been into hip hop since the 70s. I think he even has a Cuban Linx tattoo. He lost his mind when Run came out. That's that grimy party shyt. And I haven't seen him post a Ghostface track since.

None of this live band shyt is grimy.